“Awesome Club Lounge!!!”

Ranked #24 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
A TripAdvisor Member
“Awesome Club Lounge!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2005

This has to have some of the most spectacular views of any hotel in Sydney!

As we entered our room we were greeted by an amazing view of the Botanical Gardens and harbour facing out to Sydney Heads. However this was nothing compared to the view from the Club Lounge floor.

It was here that we were greeted by the Club Lounge attendant and made to feel like nothing was a problem. We thought a view like this deserves a drink, and having just thought it, it was like they read our minds and a drink was offered. It was the small details like the binoculars that coaught my eye. Fantastic idea as the view from the deck, yes - 31 floors up they have a decking that you can get out onto and enjoy the warmth of the day with a cold drink and simply take in the most beautiful harbour in the world.

They do evening nibblies and drinks like other clubs I'm sure, but what makes it stand out for us was the seemless service. The canapes were too delicious and the wine topping up spot on. The perfect place to either start your night out. And not a bad view for breakfast either.

Normally we're prone to dining out of hotels in regards to dinner, but concierge had suggested we try the Hotels restaurant Mint - which is more stand alone than anything else. Wonderful. Just wonderful!Great atmosphere the night we went - a Friday. So after a fullfilling meal the best anecdote a walk. Straight out of the hotel, already at Circular Quay and the Opera House, the lights of the bridge. Talk about location location location!

All in all I could break down each part of our stay from arrival to departure but it can be simply summed up in one word - wonderful.

• Stayed October 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2005

We stayed in this hotel during our honeymoon, it was our first stop on a three week holiday to Australia and it was perfect, definitely our favourite and most luxurious hotel.
The location was excellent, just about a 5 minute walk from the Opera House and Circular Quay and close to the Rocks, the Harbour Bridge and city centre. We had a Harbour View room on quite a high floor and the view was truely spectacular. The staff were courteous and even had champagne waiting for us when we arrived. We only ate breakfasts in the hotel but they were huge and delicious.
The hotel was recommended to us by friends and I'd have no hesitation in suggesting that u stay there.
Highlights of Sydney part from the hotel? Opera House and Harbour Bridge of course, taking the ferry to Manly and Watson's Bay from Circular Quay (if you like steak then Ribs 'n Rumps is an excellent steak house in Manly while the seafood in Doyles at Watson's Bay is lovely, particularly with a bottle of wine on a Sunday afternoon). If you like cocktails then the cocktail bar on the top floor of the Shangri-La hotel is a must, the views are amazing and it was really buzzing when we went on a Saturday night.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank Irwins
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2005

The Intercontinental Sydney is the place!

The outside of the building is not that spectacular; in fact, it looks kinda 70's but the interior is gorgeous and if I could have taken a few pics of the Cortile bar and restaurant I would have but I was embarassed. This is the first pimp hotel I've stayed in and the whole time I tried to act natural as though visits to 5 star international class hotels were the norm, even boring, for me.
The rooms are nice-- not sickeningly lavish so that you feel compelled to donate to Save the Children when you get home because of the guilt, but nice enough. The bar area in the room is beautiful, and everything is well lit. I especially like the sitting area by the window- I didn't sit in it though but took funny pictures of myself doing so. I requested a king room but I checked in early and was offered a double-- I didn't mind because I only take up 1/2 the bed anyway.
The pool was nice and the sauna was great, I had it all to myself.
I didn't dine at Mint bar but it looked too trendy for me. Instead I caught some Aussie Rules and ordered room service. I had some spring rolls and another appetizer- I forgot- and both were decent.
I visited the business center to check email and the woman working was very helpful. I imagine if you needed to do real business here it would be a flawless event.

The hotel staff was professional and polite, not gregarious and no one wanted to be your friend- which is how true professionals should comport themselves.

All in all, a fantastic stay in a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank elpenguin
Sheffield, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2005

We stayed here on our honeymoon and it couldn't have been more perfect. We opted for a harbour bridge/opera house view and requested a high floor. On arrival, we were greeted like royalty, with chocolates and flowers in the room. The staff were faultless throughout our 10 day stay.

The room was fantastic, comfy bed, immaculate presentation, good sized bathroom and a view which is difficult to describe in words, it really was that good. On a few nights, we stayed up just looking through the window at the view - incredible.

The hotel was cleaner than clean, plenty of lifts and a swimming pool on the top floor which was quiet when we tried it. We also opted for massage treatments which were very very good.

Hotel location was ideal, 5 mins walk to the opera house, 10 mins to the bridge or the central business district.

The worst part of our stay in this hotel was leaving, need I say more ?

• Stayed November 2001
15 Thank srw-uk
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

We stayed 4 nights at the Intercontinental Sydney in Feb 2005. We booked a Royal Botanic and Garden Harbour view Room which turned out to be just the right choice. The view was incredible! Room was located at the 24th floor with the Sydney harbour layed out in front of us. Sunrise was right outside our window, the bench in front of the panorama windows let me very comfortably enjoy it every morning, since jet-lagged European tourists do not need much sleep in these morning hours! An unforgettable sight!

They offer various room categories:
Harbour Garden View Room (Levels 10-26)
Bridge View Room (Levels 10-20)
Grand Harbour View Rooms (Levels 21-28)
Executive Harbour View Suites (Levels 12-28)

The Harbour Garden View Room we had did offer a side peek at the Opera house, however the Harbour Bridge and the Opera house can only be seen in full in the Grand Harbour View Rooms. One has to be careful though, since an apartment building in front most likely will spoil the view for the lower levels. But one can always enjoy the spectacular views from the top level swimming pool panorama windows (see picures).

The room itself was spacious with a nice bathroom having a (lockable) window facing the panorama windows to enjoy the spectacular views while taking a shower!
Room service was also excellent! On arrival we brought a bottle of champagne with us from the airplane. Since we immediatly headed out to enjoy some nightlife I called room service to put the bottle on ice while we are out. After we came back, the bottle was put on ice with two campagne glasses beside plus they added free snacks as a welcome present!
Also with other requests, the reaction time of the staff was within 5 minutes from call to knock on the door to take care of our wishes.

The location of the hotel is also superb! In the morning we had a nice 3-minute-walk down to the Opera house to enjoy our breakfast at the Circular Quay and then start off our day. In respect to night life "The Passage" right at the Opera house was an excellent way to end our day, enjoying a nice cocktail in front of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and then taking back the nice 3-minute-walk to the Hotel.
Also the wonderful Botanic Garden is right in front of the Hotel!

Alltogether we loved the Hotel and had an incredible time during our stay! It was worth every dollar spent and will be definitely be back next year!

• Stayed February 2005
15 Thank maashad
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed in the Intercontinental twice on my last trip to Australia. Each time the room was great, the service was exceptional and warm and the location made it easy to get to major attractions as well as jog in the botanical graden in the morning. I highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank maureane
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2005

Sorry to say but this Hotel is just an ordinary hotel with a great location
Rooms were well appointed,bathroom average.In room information on the TV only but no instructions on how to turn it on etc.
Meals were over priced and very ho-hum...service about a '2'.
Generally I thought the staff though helpful were undertrained both in their job requirements and local knowledge.
When we wanted to know about shopping hours on Easter Sunday we were referred to an empty concierge desk .... which when eventually staffed by an affable young man... could only offer us directions to the Visitor Centre at The Rocks...sorry guys...not good enough.Location does not win out over service!

• Stayed March 2005