“Mostly great, just avoid The Cortile restaurant”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #30 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 1, 2009

This is a steady, good hotel with nicely decorated, decent sized rooms with great views for a reasonable price on wotif.com. The location is excellent if you want to be near the harbour, office buildings and walking distance to shops etc.

I have loved going to the Cortile lobby bar and restaurant since I was a kid. It was always so elegant. What a pity it has been redecorated, the food is so boring and the service is now terrible. I usually favour trendy design, which is clearly what they have gone after, but it is badly executed and messed with what made the place famous. The central booths make you feel very isolated. Clearly the place is no longer popular, so you end up feeling alone without being able to see many other customers. Service and food take forever and make you feel like you're annoying them to expect normal things like being brought a menu or pepper. I wish they'd fix it up again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OzEnigma

Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed 2 nights visiting my 23 yr old daughter.We all had access to the Club lounge and sat with the chef,s tasting plate and a glass of wine, all included in the room cost, on the roof terrace enjoying the best view in Sydney! Fabulous! The room was very comfy with 2 Queen beds and a nice bathroom- all very modern and spruce. After our first experience of Sydney hotels-see my other reviews-this was a vast improvement and yet they are not far apart on Tripadvisor's rating- it just shows what a couple of rogue reviews can do. I feel some of the less favourable reviews-"staff a bit "up themselves" for example- are not fair as this is a 5star hotel and the service, for us, reflected that.
Breakfast was fantastic and we found the rapid check out worked perfectly. Go for a club room, pay the bit extra and you will not be disappointed as the extras more than make up the extra cost.
By the way, the Atrium is stunning and the pool , gym etc what you would expect from Intercontinental. The position is great too and I have no idea what the person who complained about "the hill" was talking about. It is just a block up from Circular Quay!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2009

I was in town for a short trip (One night). I was accomodated with an early check-in and late departure with no problem. The airport limo transfer they setup for me was just fine. The room had a fantastic harbor view. I finished my meetings early on the check-out day and was able to walk from the hotel to the Opera House through the Botanical Gardens and then around part of the Harbour. The Hotel's location is fantastic. Room service was quick and effcient. I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Brilliant location, 2 minutes to Opera House and Circula Quay.
More business guests than tourists.
Hotel was slightly up it's self.
Rooms were spotless, although compared to other hotels nothing special given reputation.
Staff were slightly rude, and thought highly of themselves. Our check out was a nightmare, valet parking went wrong and no taxi's could get through. Be carefull of the telephone bill's as they charges are rediculous, and the manager tells you to go get a phone card!

Still a nice hotel, one or two things not up to scratch, did enjoy our stay although probably not the best value for money.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2009

This has always been one of my favorite hotels. It can be expensive but always good value. This time I booked a club room so we awere able to have breakfast drinks etc on the 32 nd floor. The view is amazing from the club. The club facilites have been upgarded so you can enjoy refreshments all day - tea coffee etc which is great.

Our room overlooked Watsons bay and was very clean and comfortable. There is a turn down service every evening which was not too early so we were always at dinner when they arrived. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.
we were also left a complimentary bottle of bubbles which was a nice touch.

The bathroom was well stocked with Elemis products. Plus bathroom scales which I avoided after two weeks of holidaying! However great for the weight watchers as living in hotels can be a waistline hazzard.

The staff were friendly and efficient. However when we reported the faulty lift the concierge did not take us seriously and informed us that the manaufactuer cannot find anything wrong with it. I felt this was a flippant response as the lift was quite clearly faulty. stopping between floors is a problem to me!

Anyway that did not detract from our stay I just made sure I used the other lifts.
e did not use the resteraunts this stay but have on previous occasions and they were fine.
The location of this hotel is great becuase you can wander down to circular quay and there are many little cafes and resteraunts. This vist we ate at Bubbles and the Italian Village and both were excellent.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Loved this hotel. My boyfriend and I were vacationing in Sydney and getting married at the end of our trip. After much searching and price comparisons (we are not the spending type) I decided to book a Harbour View room at the Intercontinental. The view was exactly as promised with the Harbour Bridge framed in the windows - gorgeous at night.

We were very happy with the look and feel of the room. Very spacious (with a bathtub!) and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel as it was pretty much at Circular Quay and provided easy train, bus and ferry access to anywhere you wanted to go.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2009

This hotel has a great location and some pleasant public areas however it is certainly trading on these aspects, as we found the rooms very average and the service lacking with a shocking ability to consistently get things wrong.

The hotel is certainly not a good ambassador for the Intercontinental chain!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends