“Some personality would be nice”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“Some personality would be nice”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I stayed here in August, dined at the Meat and Wine Co for dinner, and got coffee but not breakfast from Cafe Opera the next morning. Overall it was a great experience, its a wonderful hotel in a great location. We enjoyed our room which was clean and well furnished (the mirror in the bathroom which doesn't fog up is a great touch).

But... a little bit of personality and life from the front desk staff would make a world of difference. They acted like timid robots, and seemed like they were too scared of making a mistake. Makes it hard to feel welcomed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimmy3536
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear jimmy3536,

So pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your experience with us right from your cup of coffee through to our location!

Thank you for your feedback regarding your check in process, we'll be sure to pass this onto our teams and we do hope to welcome you back soon for a most memorable stay to the InterContinental Sydney.

Warmest Regards,

Joerg Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2014

It's very hard to write this review as I have mixed emotions. this hotel is a real 5star hotel and just like other hotels in the InterContinental chain offers only the best. The rooms are clean and comfortable and service is fantastic. Little extras make your stay all the extra special.
However, I was there for a conference that went for few days and catering for the conference was that of an RSL - food felt like it was defrosted for the occasion and lacked in flavour and creativity. Certainly below what you'd expect from this hotel.
Location is best for the opera house and Hyde park.

Room Tip: Wifi is free for member with free membership. Its worth joining in!!!
3 Thank AlChern
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear AlChern,

We appreciate you taking the time to convey your feedback following your recent experience with us.

We are disappointed to read that the catering provided at your conference did not meet your expectations. We'll be sure to pass on your comments for further consideration with our Food & Beverage teams.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed the comforts of the accommodation and service from our colleagues, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Sydney soon!

Kindest Regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed at the Intercontinental for the first time for a meeting and was very impressed. All the staff I dealt with during my stay was friendly and professional. The room was clean and tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed. From my room there was a magnificent view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from Circular Quay, making it easy to access Sydney Ferries and convenient for visiting the Rocks and the Sydney Opera House. However, for other dining and shopping options the hotel is not as centrally located.

1 Thank JonTravelator
Dear JonTravelator,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay on business with us and hope to welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Travelled to Sydney for 'Juventus vs Allstars' soccer match. Lucky weekend to stay, in hotel lobby we met AllStars players, buffet breakfast was with the Australian Cricket team and on our departure kids got to meet Aussie Rugby team. Hotel full of celebrities, my kids had a ball!! Rooms aren't very big but are clean and well serviced. Food is fresh and delicious. Hotel location is EXCELLENT! My only disappointment was that when we enquired about Level 31 bar, reception stated that we would have to pay an additional $160 per day to enter. As we have Intercontential Membership it would have been nice to be escorted and been able to view Level 31 so we could decided better if we would like to take up the offer. Perhaps on our late check-in (as we arrived 9pm) a complimentary drink on level 31 would have sold the package to us. Just saying...

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank VDLSM
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear VDLSM,

How pleasing to read that you had a most enjoyable and eventful stay on your most recent visit with us!

Next time you choose to stay with us, our manager on duty would be pleased to show case Club InterContinental for your interest in purchasing the additional supplement.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Fantastic property. Stayed one night. Room was large, well appointed, VERY clean and cozy. Room service food was of a very high standard. Staff were exceptionally good. Stayed in a room that opened to the lift area, with no noise or disturbance (pleasantly surprised).

A few very minor set backs. Couldn't open room's robe door (forgot to complain, to help next occupant). Bathroom was beautiful, clean, but dated, with my personal frustration point, a step in combined bath/shower: fall hazard waiting to happen. Especially with the wonderful, high quality (but getting to the point, slippery) shampoos, conditioners, soaps provided. No real issues though.

Look forward to returning to the property. Was made to feel very welcome. And really enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Couldn't see how anyone could be disappointed, with any room at this property.
2 Thank Sam_Bris-Vegas
Dear Sam_Bris-Vegas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your accommodation with us and the service our colleagues provided.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the robe door in your room, and would like to ask if you could please respond to our private message in order to follow up on the room number that you were staying in so we can have the room attended to by our Engineering team.

Again, thank you for your review and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Sydney.

Orange NSW
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed 2 nights for business and I really enjoyed my stay. The service was great and the hotel was beautiful. The hotel had a wonderful aroma, it was a really nice atmosphere.
It was on the expensive side. I ordered 2 room service meals for dinner for 2 nights. One of which was a main meal and a crown larger beer which came to $57. For what it was it was very overpriced. For people holidaying I would recommend a short 10 minute walk to the pubs at the rocks and eat dinner there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear LucyOrangeNSW,

How lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us whilst travelling for business.

We appreciate your feedback and I have passed it on to our Director of Food & Beverage for the next time we review our in room dining menu.

We do hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental Sydney if not for business, then a leisure stay with us!

Warmest Regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I was recently at this place ( just came back last week)

the positives - great location, just overseeing the Sydney harbour bridge and the opera, ( make sure you get the right room view - I was not very lucky !),

the not so greats- felt the conference rooms were not large enough ( was in most over 2 days) and the furnishing felt a little dated, the furnishing in the room also felt a little faded to me, also the ambience felt cramped at the check-in counter, a very limited hot menu for a vegetarian ( there I go again- the options were a risotto, pasta & a pizza- I wonder how much cheesy can my options get !)

poor experience - (low light) - One of my colleagues fell ill with flu and called the hotel service staff for a paracetamol tablet and was refused ( on safety grounds?). He called me and I had to walk down to a pharmacy at 645 pm which closes at 7 pm and get him the OTC drug ( left me wondering what was the risk here?)

Room Tip: wifi was on m package - though during my stay of 5 days, I had to call the desk atleast 3 times to r...
1 Thank GShekhar
Dear GShekhar,

Thank you for posting your comments via TripAdvisor in relation to your most recent stay with us.

We will certainly be taking on board your feedback that you have provided about our meeting room space, as well as the vegetarian options that are available. We'll be sure to pass this onto relevant members of our management team for further follow up.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to advise that it is hotel policy not to provide guests with medication, however we can take the liberty of purchasing on their behalf. I do apologise if their was a misunderstanding regarding this and we'll be certainly clarifying this procedure to our teams.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental Sydney soon.

With Kindest Regards,