“Heavenly bed!”

Ranked #23 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Heavenly bed!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location down at Circular Quays. Very comfortable bed and room and bathroom spotlessly clean. Bathroom is small with shower over bath. This was our second stay and front desk staff was again very friendly and professional. Delivery of luggage took again very long but this time they called to reassure us it will be there soon. We were once again disappointed by Cafe Opera which should be renamed to Cafe Chaos. Breakfast has a good variety but staff seems to be struggling with the job. Not one unoccupied table that had been cleaned. Coffee took 30 min (we finished breakfast by then) and was so awful that we couldn't drink it. This was our third breakfast there and it was hectic and not very enjoyable. Wouldn't do it again. All in all we like the hotel and will be back at some stage. I am a IHG platinum member and our room was upgraded from a city view room to a room with harbour glimpses. Don't expect more from the IHG program than the absolute minimum, if anything at all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear goodfoodfanoz

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is appreciated.

I am pleased overall you did seem to enjoy your stay, you obviously stayed over a weekend when our Cafe Opera breakfast is very busy and our sincerest apologies your expectations were not met on this occassion.

As an IHG Rewards member, I am pleased you were extended an upgrade and I give my assurance we do extend provide our guests with their benefits as expected, in line with the guidelines of the program.

Thank you again and we do hope we can welcome your return in the very near future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We chose to book this hotel because of the location and the InterContinental branding.
Was a good choice as it was near the Circular Quay train station. The only thing is that we had to walk up and down the steep slope daily, but realised, the roads in Sydney are normally like that. We treat it as a form of exercise. There are two entrances - the Macquarie entrance is very special, I like the external of the building and also, there is a Vera Wong boutique located at the hotel lobby. The lobby has a nice restaurant for chilling out and catching up with friends.
The check in and check out service from the hotel was splendid, from great smiles and good service. Both from Asians and non-Asians. There wasn't a preferential treatment for different colour of the skin which is great as I have experienced some bad service at other hotels. As we arrived very early on Friday morning, room wasn't ready at 7.45am, but by 9am, all was done. This early check in service was good. They also upgraded up to the Harbourview where we had the view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. A pity that we are not in a room that can also see the Opera House. A good gesture by the hotel. Just that since both of us are celebrating our birthdays, I would thought there would be some frills in the room, special decoration or maybe a mini cake. However, room was large and spacious. Bed and pillow are very comfortable. The view was gorgeous as there were days when I awake and the big cruise liner was docking near the bridge. The bell desk also provided umbrellas easily unlike some hotels that require the hotel room number etc, the only worry is that people might just misuse and keep requesting for umbrellas. Concierge service was average, would be better if they could service guests with a greater smile and enthusiaism, technical knowledge is good. The only down side is that the final bill was inaccurate as they charged us for mini bar for two white wines which we did not consume as we are allegy to alchohol. The charge was only known to us upon our return and through our credit card statement. However, I have email them and the response was quite prompt, saying that they will reinstate back the money they have deducted. As it was an overseas transaction, there would definitely be currency fluctuations which could be prevented if this wasn't charged initially.

Room Tip: Above 15 storey and request for a room with a view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mdoraemon

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you with the billing error, I am though pleased this was rectified without delay.

I am pleased to read that you did have enjoyable stay with us and we were able to assist you with early check in as well as an upgrade for your stay.

We do hope to welcome your return in the very near future.

Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My status was noted at checkin, and I was informed I'd been given a double upgrade (I had booked a cityside king room and received a Harbour Bridge view room for this one-night stay, providing a good photo op for the trip report!)

Waiting for me in the room was a nicely presented platter of various nibbles including dried fruit, nuts and sweets, along with a full-size bottle of shiraz cabernet, in addition to the expected fresh fruit and bottled water.

Complimentary Wi-Fi and a 4pm late checkout were provided per the Ambassador programme.

The TV offered a good selection of free channels and pay-per-view movies (the first is complimentary for Ambassador members), and the window blind in the room is electrically operated from the bedside, which I thought was a nice touch.

I chose a breakfast-included rate, and the buffet offering was comprehensive.

In short, no complaints, bar a credit card preauthorisation that lingered for a rather disturbing 30 days. In 2013 there should be a way to release these instantly, once the bill has been settled by other means. This is probably the banks' fault, though.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer views of two Aussie icons - the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. The view type shou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ddnz
Dear ddnz

Very pleased to read that we have provided you with a great stay and we shall certainly look forward to welcoming your return to InterContinental Sydney.

Thank you for letting us know, is it appreciated.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel with a great location -- 3 minutes to Circular Quay and 10 minutes to Opera House. The views are excellent. It's worth spending the extra money to have access to the Club Lounge, which provides a wonderful view of the harbor, a very good breakfast, and enough hors d'oeuvres to have a light dinner if that's what you want.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rdnyc52
Dear rdnyc52

Your review is appreciated, thank you very much for contributing.

Very pleased you had a great stay with us and we do hope to welcome your return very soon.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have been staying at this property for a majority of stays in Sydney and will continue. There are several reasons why. The property is perfectly located. The hotel has got excellent staff. the hotel has continued to stay modern with regular updates. It is always worthwhile to pay a little more for the club. It has the best views of Sydney service and food is excellent. My only issue is an old one and that is the trouble with morning paper. Even with that small issue I will be returning again next month!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Lechiffre1
Dear Lechiffre1

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you have enjoyed all your stays with us and will continue to do so.

Thank you again and we also look forward to continuing to welcome you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed with InterContinental Sydney two weeks ago on 22 Nov 2013 as my flight back home to Melbourne was cancelled due to poor weather.

I had requested the service desk to book a taxi to pick me up the next morning at 4:30am so I could catch my flight home at 6am. I also requested the hotel staff call me in the morning at 4:30am to wake me up.

The next day, the taxi arrived at 4:30am; no wake-up call until 5:15am. Flight was missed. $370 out of pocket to book a new flight. No apology from the hotel, and after a formal complaint written, no response. Called to follow up and the manager denied there ever being a request from me to receive a call to wake me in the morning. I even provided the name of the hotel staff I had spoken to (twice) to arrange the call in the morning; apparently the hotel staff denies this ever occurring.

Unbelievable that a hotel with such a strong reputation would actually just turn around and outright lie to a guest and deny all responsibility for their own mistakes!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank msmelbournian
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear msmelbournian

Upon reading your review, we have sent you a private message to obtain your booking details. This will enable us to follow up on your feedback.

We do hope you will respond to us.

Sydney
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here in our hometown on our wedding anniversary 7th December for one night only and now regret that we did not stay longer. We have stayed in a lot of hotels in our travels and this hotel would have to be one of the most enjoyable stays we have had.
Right from the genuinely warm and extremely efficient check in to the every encounter with staff, we had a 'connection' with this hotel. Our room on the 21st floor was spacious and very nicely appointed with one of those dream beds that provide a great night's sleep, even when you are not normally a good sleeper.
Drinks at the cocktail bar were the only slightest downside when I ordered a vodka martini, only to be told that they were out of both Grey Goose and Belvedere vodkas - how does this happen?
Given that that was the only issue I had (I do take my vodkas seriously) our stay overall was fantastic and we would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it to any of our TA family.
Stay here - you will love it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GaryandMelody
Dear Garyandmelody

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very pleased that overall you did have a fantastic time with us on such a special occasion.

I do though extend to you our apologies for not being able to provide to you your favourite labelled Vodka.

Hopefully next time, you shall spend a little more time with us.

Thank you again and we do look forward to welcoming you for another great stay.