“Stunning!”

Ranked #23 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Stunning!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, a bit old but the service is outstanding. Go for the club rooms, breakfast at club level is just unbeatable! Views are breathtaking. Concierge very helpfull and other staff always smiling. Very pleasant stay and very good location

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Else T

Thank you for your lovely review. So pleased you had an enjoyable stay. We appreciate your compliments of our colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Joerg Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Whatever you do, do not buy Priority Privilege cards, they are a complete waste of money!!! You have been warned.
Twice since buying my pack I have tried to use the 'privileges' and twice it was a waste of time. The first time I tried to reserve a Club room, only to be told that only a few are available to members, even though the hotel website showed availability.
Next I tried to use my 'get one night free' voucher only for them to try and apply it to a far higher room rate than that shown on the official hotel website, thus negating any benefit.
They just twist everything round to suit themselves, so the poor gullible customer who bought Priority Privileges package in good faith misses out.
PLEASE do not get involved with these people, I was totally mis-sold this package and will make sure I let as many people as possible know about their behaviour.
This is not a slur on this hotel, just their Priority Privilege membership scheme.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
35 Thank Ladyprincess_11
Dear Ladyprincess_11

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do appreciate that you have expressed that your comments are not a slur on the hotel. Please rest assured we will pass on your comments to IHG Rewards.

I do hope your overall stay was enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you again one day.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

free upgrade was given for my best friends birthday, first yay! the receptionist was absolutely lovely.
hotel was absolutely gorgeous, clean and everything you could ever want. the view from the pool room was amazing. the public bathrooms were so clean and had everything provided for you.
i was disappointed that we couldn't enter the sky deck (or whatever they might call it) due to it being a members only area.
room was small but still spacious enough for the three of us. the cold water was turned off when we got there and had to wait up to 20 minutes to have this fixed but wasn't much of a problem.
a bit pricey to stay there all the time but nonetheless should be a must to experience if you want luxury and first-class.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear cheekymaltesa101

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so pleased to hear you had a most enjoyable stay for your friend's birthday. I do apologise for the hot water not running properly to your room, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We hope to welcome you again one day.

Hampshire, England
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful weeks holiday in this lovely hotel recently.Very pleasant receptionist who upgraded us,as part of our Ambassador Membership,to a bedroom with a wonderful view facing out to the Botanic Gardens and harbour.Bedroom was well laid out with a huge picture window with window seat to enjoy the views and,although the bed appeared to be rather old,bedlinen was crisp and comfortable. The swimming pool has the most wonderful view and although small,is adequate if not too many people swimming.Buffet breakfast in the Opera Dining Room had a good choice of food but is quite small with tables very close together,however,there were tables set up in the cloisters which were much more comfortable and private.We only ate dinner there once, as it was also buffet but with a very disappointing choice of food and very expensive for what is offered.The atrium of the hotel houses a very comfortable bar area which had excellent food and very good service.Concierge staff were very knowledgeable and efficient and the location of the hotel could not have been better as it was only a short walk to the harbour,opera house,rocks area and shopping. All in all a very nice hotel and one I would recommend very highly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Mariem60

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased to see you had a wonderful week with us.

With regards to your comment about the bed, we are currently in the process of replacing all the beds in the hotel. I have also noted your review of our buffet options and will pass it on to our Executive Chef.

Thank you again. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again one day.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We love staying here when we are in Sydney. The location is fantastic being right next to Circular Quay and the Opera House, while the rooms are beautiful and a pleasure to be in. Worth the price tag for a few nights of complete luxury.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Paula M

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to know you had a most enjoyable stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you again one day.

Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was there on business trip. Rooms facing the bridge are very expensive and not necessarily worth it. Best thing is probably to go to a cheaper room and save for the upgrade to have access to the Intercontinental Club (31st floor). This place is an absolute must. It has a fantastic view on the bridge and the Opera House. It offers drinks and food until 6pm and then the same food than the room service.
For the rest, the rooms are quiet, the breakfast is very very nice with a very large choice of everything you can dream of. The swimming pool on the 31st floor is also offering an amazing view. The fitness is small but OK.
On the negatives, I have a very hard time to understand the concept of making you pay for internet access at a five star hotel or that it does not offer a complimentary bottle of water in the room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Thomas L

I appreciate the time you took to write a review of our hotel and I am pleased you had an overall enjoyable stay. We will take your feedback into consieration.

Thank you for the compliments of our Club InterContinental Lounge.

We do hope to welcome you again one day.

Joerg Boeckeler
Wherever the cheap fares take me
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a trip to Australia. Stayed on IHG points as a Platinum Ambassador. The hotel is well located, very near the Opera House and the CBD, just a few minutes walk from the Quay station. The interior of the hotel is very nice and sharp looking. Check in was friendly and efficient, in fact so efficient, that it was politely made clear that being on an award stay, I would not receive the benefits normally assigned to Ambassador status with IHG, despite the fact that I had not mentioned it or even asked since I already know that IHG is generally reprehensibly poor about any kind of elite status on non paid stays. It was just very odd, as the lady at the desk went out of her way to point it out, which really left a very "since you are using points, you are a far less important customer." Strangely, I have never understood chains that do not respect benefits on award stays, and differentiate between paid and award stays. I mean, who do you think are the customers who HAVE 50,000 points PER NIGHT to redeem in your hotel? Generally the most loyal ones to begin with, so isolating them on award stays seems self defeating. At any rate, we went up to our very standard room to rest a bit after check in.

Upon arriving at the room, which had a view of NOTHING, not even a basic upgrade to a better view of perhaps the Opera house, I found a letter from a manager. I presume it was the GM, as most properties do something like that, where they leave a little pseudo handwritten note thanking you for your stay. This note however, basically consisted of a letter saying, and I am paraphrasing "thank you for your stay, and we would like to remind you that certain Ambassador benefits do not apply as you are on points." It then went on to spell that out AGAIN. I mean, I get it, I am less than a dog apparently if I use 50,000 points a night...do you have to keep reminding me?

Otherwise, the room was nicely appointed and comfortable. I have no issues with it. The bathroom was a fair size, although a little small, but very useable. The location of the hotel was good, as mentioned. Overall, I got what I paid for, which was a standard room of the lowest category on points. Now, to be fair, as an Ambassador with IHG you are not entitled to much, but a fruit platter would have been nice, and that IS still a stated benefit among other things. At any rate, the hotel is nice, but if I was staying in Sydney again, it would not be my first choice, but would suffice. Overall a very nice hotel in a good location. See my other reviews for my first choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank antonius66
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Sir

I do thank you for your very comprehensive review following you recent stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that we do and have followed all the guidelines of the Ambassador Membership program. I give you my personal assurance that we do follow the guidelines which are in place for very good reason, this is to ensure all Ambassador as well as Royal Ambassadors receive a consistent level of service.

We very much value the Ambassador program and therefore we make it our priority to deliver all entitlements as per the terms and conditions of membership without fail.

I can see you feel very strongly about being provided additional benefits outside of the program and therefore I have taken the liberty to flag your concerns with Ambassador Services.

I am pleased you found our rooms nicely appointed as well as comfortable and do hope your stay was enjoyed overall.