“Wow! Club Room Service is amazing!”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #23 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“Wow! Club Room Service is amazing!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We splurged on a family get away and stayed in a club room with harbour views.
We enjoyed the evening drinks and breakfast in the club level and were totally blown away by the service provided by the girls in the lounge. They were totally attentive and clearly trained very very well.
The room itself was luxurious and perfect.
The location right next to Circular quay and the Botanic Gardens is just ideal.

Top marks!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear luckydog428

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time with us and were provided a great level of service by our colleagues in the Club Lounge.

We hope to welcome you and your family to stay with us again one day.

Joerg Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Used points to stay at this hotel and therefore was surprised when my platinum elite status was recognized with an upgrade to a 30th floor oversized corner room. Room was very plush and I especially liked the automated shades which completely darkened the room. Very helpful after a 24 hour trip. Perfect combination of great room, location, service & view.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Fleet100

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased to hear you had a most enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your continued loyalty to IHG.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the IC Sydney for 3 nights and had a great trip. Firstly the hotel is in a great location literally a stones throw to the Opera House and harbour, amazing views for the bucket list in minutes!! When we arrived we were checked in by the Guest relations manager called Gail (I think) who was charming and responsive throughout our stay a credit to IHG. Rooms were great as well very comfy and clean throughout. All in all a great stay and would recommend to anyone visiting Sydney area. Stayed 18th Oct for 3 nights - the GRM should definitely be recognised!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Qwerty1297

Thank you so much for your kind review.

I am happy to hear you had a very enjoyable stay.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Gosford, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stay in Sydney often and used to stay in a nearby hotel of comparable rating, what was I thinking. This place leaves them far behind in their approach and delivery. Comfy rooms great reception great bars and restaurants. Very plush, my minds made up.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear peter y

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing to stay with InterContinental Sydney on your last trip. I am so pleased to hear you had a most enjoyable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The first time I had high tea was with my mum. It was an amazing experience for us. I made a booking over the phone and everything went smoothly. When we arrived at the cortile lounge, we were escorted over to our table. I absolutely loved the location, and the walk from the station wasn't too far. The surroundings and the mini waterfall looked perfect, it wasn't too loud and felt really intimate. When our high tea arrived, it looked really yummy!! Someone came over to explain all the little things we were going to eat, which was really nice. I loved the mini sandwiches, scones and bite-size deserts.

Enjoyed this high tea experience so much, that I also decided to book a high tea for 8, that very same day for my 21st birthday. The waiter was so nice, and even escorted us Christina, to make my booking. I explained that one of my friends was a vegetarian, and she assured me that they would be able to make something special for us. The day my friends arrived, even though the booking was for noon, they even waited an additional 30 minutes before serving, as my guests we still arriving. It was an amazing experience for my 21st, and I am so glad everything went smoothly. Furthermore, I was extremely delighted, that the foods I was tasting this time was different to what I had on my previous visit. They even gave me a birthday cake slice with a candle saying happy birthday, and staff were happy to take photographs of my party of eight. I will definitely recommend Intercontinental to my friends and will visit again in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear BlairWillows

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased to hear you had two very enjoyable High Tea experiences in The Cortile. It is lovely to know our colleagues were able to make your 21st birthday celebration a success.

We look forward to welcoming you for High Tea a third time in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

So we have been priority privilege members for 2 years and this is the first hotel that we have nothing but trouble ....We have travelled over seas and the Intercontinental that we stayed at couldn't do enough for us ...BUT this Sydney Intercontinental think they are superior to all ...reality check ...YOUR NOT !!!! We have 2 certificates 'Stay for 2 nites for price of 1' which comes with the package each year and we usually use these on our trip overseas who without no question always accommodate us especially since we are priority members ...This year too busy for trip overseas ..We are coming to Sydney for a conference and thought great we can use our vouchers ...WELL WERE WE WRONG !!!Nothing but trouble ..Apparently Sydney intercontinental have found a loop hole and are saying that these rooms are subject to 'availability' in their terms that means they only decide to give certain rooms to priority member's to use their certificates ..So despite the fact that the rooms are available in fact I was all booked in ready to go but as soon as I told the girl I had 2 for 1 certificate she turned around and said the rooms were now not available!!!! I am not sure why Sydney Intercontinental would make life so difficult for PAYING MEMBERS ..that's right this is not a free membership we have paid our money to be part of this Hotel Group ...so despite of this they decide to make it the worst experience possible and don't honour there member's certificate .. Step up and act like a 5 star hotel ..maybe take a trip overseas to other Intercontinental Hotels and see how they teat their Priority Members ..Believe me very DIFFERENT than the way you treat them!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
13 Thank SweetValentine69
Dear studiowild

Thank you for voicing your concern regarding Priority Privilege certificates. Please be assured that InterContinental Sydney does recognise these certificates according to the terms and conditions and we fully support the Priority Privilege program. I understand you have been in contact with our Reservations Manager. However, it seems that we have not been able to find a suitable compromise for you.

We have one concern regarding your review, which states you stayed with us in October. However, we have no records of your stay.

I notice you still have a reservation with us in the near future. We are grateful for this and we look forward to welcoming you on your upcoming stay.

Paris, France
Reviewed October 22, 2013

There are definitely lots of quality options in Sydney, but I booked this hotel mainly because of its stellar location, the breakfast buffet package, and those pictures everyone uploaded showing an amazing window view. In short, the hotel's location is ideal and better than most other hotels, the breakfast buffet was a great value and something that both my wife and I enjoyed, and the window view was pretty darn good. However, I'm just rating this "very good" because quite frankly, the hotel can do A LOT more for its guests considering the rate they're paying.

CHECK-IN FAIL = I prepaid for my room months in advance, booking a bridge-view room and requesting a high floor away from the elevator. Because of an evening flight, I end up checking in around 7pm on a weekday night. The Night Manager at the counter checked me in and put me on the lowest floor (10th) and right next to the elevator -- basically the exact opposite of what I requested, and probably one of the worst rooms available in the gigantic hotel. He told me that was the only one available. When I got to my room, I called the hotel's "instant service" line on the phone, explaining the situation, and was changed to a higher floor away from the elevator without much hassle at all. When the night manager saw me in the lobby later that night, he approached me and inquired about my room change. I asked him how that was possible, and he got rude and defensive about it, and walked away with some snide remark under his breath. Takeaway? Well, of course everyone knows there are no guarantees on your room request, but a little service to accommodate someone and make them feel comfortable would have helped (instead of a being rude).

THUMBS UP = My room had a satisfying view of the bridge that I enjoyed. Kudos to David Pratt and his concierge team as they were always friendly and ready to help you. And a thank you to the maids and bellman, who seem to be working super long and hard to make sure everyone is happy and comfortable. And as I mentioned above, the breakfast buffet was a great deal, and the location was ideal.

THUMBS DOWN = Major downside is that this hotel charges for internet (most other hotels in this class offer it free). In fact, you can just walk towards the Customs House and get free WiFi there, or walk toward the Four Seasons and tap into a free WiFi hotspot. At the rate they charge, I'm not sure why they need to nickle and dime guests with this extra charge -- it's stupid and tacky. And while there's a business center here you can use, some of the other cool amenities that I'd mention here is off-limits unless you opt for a club-level room. Rooms here also feel small.

OVERALL = I would be lying if I didn't say my experience during check-in didn't color my initial impression of the hotel. It certainly did, but I'm willing to judge the hotel beyond a bad check-in experience. With that, I'd say that this hotel is a bit above average, but it could be better considering what you're paying. Although my stay was fine, I was left pondering if I should've gone to Sir Stamford or the Pullman Quay Grand (two other hotels very close to the Intercontinental that are renowned for their service).

Room Tip: To guarantee a high floor, you would need to buy a premium room (which would put you on 23rd floor o...