“Great location”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #26 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We just returned from a weeks stay at the InterContinental Sydney. It was a fabulous hotel. The location just can't be beat. It's a short 2 block walk to the Circular Quay, where you can catch a ferry to just about anywhere you want to go. Just a short stroll further and you are standing in front of the Opera House.

We had a wonderful room on the 28th floor which looked out over the Royal Botanic Gardens. The room was spotlessly clean and very nicely appointed. I am very picky about beds, and this one was wonderful. I usually have trouble sleeping well in hotels, but not here. I slept like a baby.

I would definitely recommend spending the extra money and staying in a club level room. The view from the club on the 32nd floor is amazing, looking out onto the harbor and the opera house. The breakfast every morning is delicious and a great way to start off the morning before a day of exploring the city. We spent several mornings just sitting out on the deck enjoying our coffees and the views before setting out on the days journey. The afternoon drinks and canapes were a great way to wind down after a the day.

We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The concierge was very helpful in arranging tours for us, and helping us find various things we required during our stay.

1  Thank dcarson4
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear dcarson4

Thank you for your lovely review. I am very happy to hear you had a most enjoyable stay. We really appreciate your compliments of our Club Lounge, as well as our concierge team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again one day.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Sydney

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We spent 3 nights on 28th floor in a club room with opera house view ( we got the customary upgrade from harbour view as a result of being Ambassador Club members)This actually meant a superb view of the opera house, the bridge and the circular quay. It is certainly worth paying the extra for the club floor and access to the floor 32 club lounge for breakfast, drinks and canapés in the early evening and a place to relax with a coffee or soft drink during the day.
The staff are exemplary, nothing is too much trouble. On arrival we were welcomed by the check in staff, who suggested what to see during our stay and, naturally, all about the facilities. The lounge staff were welcoming and efficient, even on a Friday night, when it did get quite crowded.
We used the swimming pool, which is on floor 31 and, though quite small, is very pleasant. It would be an advantage if there was a shut out period during which small children were excluded, since it suddenly became very overcrowded with non swimmers.
The hotel is perfectly positioned for a city break and I would thoroughly recommend it. We will certainly return on a future visit to Sydney

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HSeeingtheworld

Dear HSeeingtheworld

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased to hear our colleagues were able to make your stay an enjoyable and memorable one.

We hope to welcome you again one day.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I felt fabulously spoiled here. We stayed for 3 nights to celebrate his 40th birthday. We really appreciated the personal welcome and birthday wishes from the Guest Relations Manager and the birthday card and wine and chocolates in our room were a lovely touch.

It's well worth paying the extra for a harbour view room- spectacular!

Breakfast has a huge range and is delicious.

The Concierge has made a career for himself, what a professional.

Finally the location is perfect. 3 minutes walk from the buses, trains and ferries at Circular Quay and 5 minutes walk from the Opera House.

Highly recommend.

1  Thank sh0msy73

Dear sh0msy73

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased to hear your husband had such an enjoyable 40th birthday with the help of our colleagues. It is also great to know you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the help from our concierge.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I recently stayed here for 2 nights in a club room. The room was quite modern, clean and of reasonable size. The club lounge on the top level has great views of the quay and is a great way to start your day having breakfast there overlooking the view.
The staff in the club lounge particularly Jess and Taylor was exceptional, they were very friendly and accommodating. Their service was of the best I have experienced in a 5 star hotel in Australia. The selection of pre dinner drinks and canapés is also of high standard and a large selection compared to other hotels. Bars and restaurants within the hotel are also quite nice.
It is located in a great location and I cant wait to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Book a Club room
1  Thank Jake M

Dear Jake M

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pelased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your experience in the Club Lounge. We truly appreciate your compliments to our colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon in Australia. Our flight arrived early in the morning and the staff made a special effort to have our room ready for us as soon as possible. The view from our room on the 15th floor was just unbelievable - fantastic views of the harbour bridge, opera house and botanical gardens. The window was just like an enormous picture! The location was great for both circular quay and the centre of the city. We had the buffet breakfast on the last morning if our stay and that too was amazing! We also had a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates delivered to the room as it was our honeymoon! A wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: High room had a fabulous harbour view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HBecky

Dear HBecky

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very happy to hear that we were able to provide a most enjoyable and memorable start to your honeymoon.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again on your anniversaries.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I spent a few days at this hotel, we had a beautiful room with one of the best views in the world, the Botanic Gardens, the Opera House, the Bridge, the Quay with all the Ferries , the Rocks, and the City , close to all the actions, friendly staff, we got to visit the exclusive top floor thanks to them, very good breakfast, we would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, as good as any of the best around the world

Room Tip: Room with a view over the Opera House
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank juventus888
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Juventos888

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to read about your enjoyable stay.

It is such a compliment to know that your visit was memorable. Thank you sharing.

We do hope we can welcome you once again for another memorable stay at InterContinental Sydney.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I'm an ambassador member and always try to stay at an intercontinental hotel where ever I travel in the world. When you are a member the guarantee you a room upgrade and you also get a late check out. I booked this hotel and was informed that they could not give me the "Guaranteed" room upgrade, I questioned this, how can you guarantee something and then not do it?? I've stayed here quite a few times and I know it's a very nice hotel, the staff are as friendly as Sydney hotel staff get, not quite a good as in other countries but the rooms and the quality of furnishings and food is very good. They then offered me $100 discount but I explained to them that all I had to do was to book a lesser room and get my upgrade and save $100, so they were not giving me anything at all. I asked for a room service credit and a nice bottle of champagne and they stopped communicating with me, I found this very disappointing, here you have a customer that is going out of her way to be brand loyal for years and they do not care or look after me. I think if you are going to Guarantee something then you need to make sure that you are able to follow through with the promise. Disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank HerwigReefResort

Dear Amitafd

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

I am very sorry for any disappointment you have experienced. We have written to you privately to request your booking details to enable us to follow up on your concerns.

We do hope to hear from you.