“Brilliant location”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #29 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came here on a work cum leisure trip. As we were only here for 3 days, we wanted to make sure that we are within walking distance to most of the local attractions.

Intercontinental Hotel was a gem indeed. It was within walking distance to the Sydney Bridge, Darling Harbour, The Opera House,The Rocks, and Circular Quay.
A mere 3 min of stroll would bring you to the ferry terminal, where you can board the ferries bound for Manly or Bondi.

The Rocks were about a comfortable 20min stroll away, with lovely scenery along the waterfront. Most of the attractions were dotted along the waterfront, and almost every turn, offers a photo opportunity.

The Intercontinental Hotel is very well appointed, and all the rooms were beautifully done up, with lots of local pictures adorning the walls.

I had a lovely Deluxe Room that commanded a lovely view of the central business district, and Museum of Sydney. I had 3 great nights of sleep in the King bed!
The breakfast selection was good, and you can see the effort the F&B staff put in to make your breakfast a fun experience, with at least 4 different types of peanut butter spread!
The egg counter was manned by a very accommodating gentleman who would strive to cook the type of egg dish that you ask for!

The gym was located on one of the higher floors, which commanded an awesome 360 degrees view of the city and Harbour.

I booked myself for a massage, and the expert masseuse kneaded my knots away as I fell into a deep rest. It definitely made my day!

We had a lovely experience here!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank shufy23
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Shufy23

It was such a pleasure to read your review, I am very pleased your stay ticked all the boxes.

Thank you again and we do hope to welcome you to InterContinental Sydney once again in the future.

Joerg Boeckeler

Write a ReviewReviews (4,553)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

A fun girls weekend away at the InterContinental was one of the best ideas! Not only was the view and location of the hotel beautiful, but the presentation and genuine warmth given by the staff, made the experience all the more wonderful. We will be back shortly! Could not recommend this hotel high enough! Thank you !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarah W

Dear Sarah W

Great to read that your girls weekend was thoroughly enjoyed.

We also look forward to having you and your friends with us once again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is by far my favourite hotel in Sydney. The location and staff are absolutely outstanding. Everything was absolutely perfect. Would highly recommend this hotel. The views are incredible too!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa D

Dear Lisa D

Pleased you had an "amazing" stay with us. Thank you for sharing.

Look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great hotel with many great features. I will try to list them by my priorities. Close to inter city transit (public transit). Easy bus, train or ferry commutes from the hotel. Botanical gardens was right across the road and the Opera House was an easy walk, along with the many restaurants on the wharf. I was only there for three days, on business, and the locale was excellent and served me very well. The fitness center was very busy & a little small, but the staff was knowledgeable and friendly, full shower/locker area, protein drinks at a reasonable cost, all good. Concierge and reception wer excellent. I arrived early (8AM) and my room was not ready. The reception kept my bags and gave me a key so I could use the fitness center & take a shower. After that, I was given internet access so I could take care of emails etc. When I returned from my walkabout, my bags were in my room and everything was set by noon. I was very happy with everything there.

Room Tip: ask for the opera house view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank embassyworker

Dear Embassyworker

Very pleased to read that you were very satisfied with your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experienced.

We look forward to welcoming your return to Intercontinental Sydney.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just spent a weekend at the Intercontinental. Room (east over the harbour are best) was clean and comfortable. The seafood buffet is very good quality and price at Cafe Opera. Good service by the young lady who waited on our table. (thank you Stephanie). The buffet breakfast is good without being anything special.
The staff were plentiful and helpful
It is well positioned for anyone who wants to spend time around The Rocks on in and around the harbour

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chappelli1954
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I second the comments made about Priority Privilege. The only vouchers of real value in the $299 annual spend are the '2 nights for 1' free. When I joined (by phone) I was advised that these could be used in any room at the 'Best Flexible Rate', in the participating hotels.
However when I tried to use these at both Intercontinental Sydney (and Melbourne), no rooms were available - despite all types of room being available on the hotel websites.
I also will NOT be recommending this product (or the Intercontinental Group)....a $299 waste of money.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bret56
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Bret56,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just spent 2 nights at the Intercontinental in Sydney for our wedding anniversary. This was our 4th stay at this hotel and again it did not disappoint.
We booked a club room and had an Opera House view which was spectacular. The eastern view is also well worth it for slightly less as the views are not interrupted by other buildings around.
The levels of service were impeccable from check in to housekeeping all the way to the staff in the club lounge.
Location is fabulous with walking distance to many major attractions such as the Opera House, the Rocks, Harbour Bridge, Botanic Gardens and shopping up through Pitt Street Mall and all the boutiques.
The views from the club lounge are spectacular from breakfast in the morning all the way through to the complimentary drinks in the evening. We have stayed at quite a few hotels around the world and views from this lounge are just about unequalled.
Well worth a visit just for the view.

Room Tip: Eastern view rooms are the pick and the higher up the better
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LifesToShort-Enjoy
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Lifestoshort_enjoy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is appreciated.

Wonderful to read that each and every stay has not disappointed you. Thank you for sharing and we will continue to look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Sydney.