“Great Location- with the perfect view”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #27 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental for two nights in a harbour view room on the 17th floor. The view was definitely worth it. The room was spacious with plenty of sitting areas, sofa, window seat and writing desk etc.
The hotel is a great mix of old world charm and modern interiors, the lobby was a fabulous place to chill out with a glass of wine and snack at the end of a long day on your feet. The food in the lobby was really tasty (we had tapas) and good value. We also have a wonderful breakfast in the restaurant which had a great selection of good quality food, and excellent service.
We found the staff to be very professional, and everything went to plan with no hiccups from check in to check out.
You must try the pool, if only for that perfect view!

Room Tip: Really do splash out for harbour view- worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear cove3,

Your review was a pleasure to read and I thank you for taking the time to share it.
I am thoroughly pleased to hear that you enjoyed many of the facilities here at InterContinental Sydney, including our pool and the lovely Cortile lounge in the lobby, which is a great perspective from which to soak up several of the beautiful historic features of the hotel. Your positive comments of the food and beverage selection have also been shared with the team.
Our views are some of the best in Sydney, I agree and I am glad you had a room where you were able to enjoy them.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Overall the stay was good, rooms had a good view and staff were friendly. bathrooms were small and dated-definitely need renovating! we were disappointed with the breakfast which we thought was very basic.

Dear GinaNJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am very pleased to hear that our staff impressed you during your stay. Our location is also a great one and closely situated to all visitors' needs.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast selection in our restaurant. I have shared your feedback with our Cafe Opera team and our chefs and thank you for sharing these also. All guest feedback is very valuable to us
Our bathrooms are on the small side and your additional comments here are noted as well. Thanks you.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The stars of the Hotel again (we stayed late last year) were the staff, absolutely brilliant! Everywhere we went in the hotel whenever we encountered an employee they were first class , in fact world class. The room, the view etc were as expected and it would be a tough person to find fault with either. Since our last stay a Meat & Wine Co has opened on the hotels ground floor which for us was good news as it meant there was a bar open when we returned from dinner that felt like a bar - sorry but I do not class the Cortile area a "bar". We enjoyed a few drinks here late and my only feedback to the hotel would be that if this area is not run by hotel staff then I would at least insist on a certain level of professionalism - staff when finishing shift sitting at the bar having a drink I am sure would not be the norm for an area with guests. Aside from that note the cocktails were well made and enjoyed! Highly recommend the hotel.

Dear Michael Y,

I am very pleased we could welcome you back for another enjoyable stay with us and that our staff were the standout once again! Our colleagues provide a wonderful level of professional and friendly service to all our guests and this shows in the comments you have made for both this stay and your last.
I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the new restaurant located within the hotel, The Meat & Wine Co. I have also passed your comments on to their management and I thank you for providing this valuable feedback with regards to staff using the facility after their shift.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again in the very near future for another memorable stay.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the moment we checked in, I felt the service was just wonderful. We spent extra to use Club Intercontinental and I think it was well worth it. Enjoy breakfast and drinks/canapés daily while taking in the beautiful views from the 32nd floor!

Grizzell provided top notch services - some of the best concierge services I've ever experienced. She was extremely helpful and pleasant. Wasil was another outstanding employee. Overall, the people make the trip and Intercontinental makes it apparent that they place service high on the priority list.

1  Thank JonTon102

Dear JonTon102,

I was very pleased to read your wonderful comments in your review, thank you!
I have shared this with our team and I 100% agree with you that Grizzell, Wasif and the team in Club InterContinental provide a level of service which is hard to match, as do all of our colleagues. They are exceptional ambassadors for our hotel.
You are correct in saying that the service provided to our guests is very high on the agenda here at InterContinental Sydney, as it should be in any hotel.
It is pleasing to hear you thoroughly enjoyed the use of our Club lounge as well as your stay in the hotel and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another memorable stay in the near future.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

What a great conference. I arrived a few days early, on the 28th floor with spectacular view. Great room with a double head shower, although some others had a shower over a bath(glad I didn't as love a good shower). Wonderful service, nothing too much trouble ( I used concierge 5 times). Food magnificent. I normally hate buffet breakfasts and always get them to poach eggs for me. They not only had poached eggs but everything else you may want. A choice of individual branded tubs of of yoghurt, yakult, smoked salmon, poached eggs, even rice for the Asian palate. OMG. Soooo much. Individual pots of tea. Great service. I truly can't say enough about the service and quality. 4 minutes walk to circular quay. So central. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: August 2013

Dear Adelaide_girl_SA,

What a pleasure to read your review! Thank you for taking the time to post it.
We are very fortunate to have some very talented chefs as part of our team here at InterContinental Sydney. They certainly have wonderful ideas and I am glad you found our buffet extensive and with everything to your liking.
I am pleased you found your room to be comfortable and the service you received was up to the high standards for which we are known. All of your comments have been shared with our entire team.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was actually a surprise stay booked by my boyfriend. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel special. Our room was ready - 20th floor with beautiful views of the bridge and the harbour. The room was spacious with modern decor and an amazing bay window seat to gaze out at the view. We used the swimming pool which also has amazing views. The concierge was great in arranging a last minute occasion dinner for us, and all the staff were courtious, personable and couldnt do enough to help. The beds were very comfy although the only small thing was the air conditioning was a little noisy throughout the night which did disturb my sleep. We had a late check out and a great buffet breakfast- the food is amazing. A fantastic experience- would love to return.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with harbour views- it will take your breath away!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear autumn1082,

How wonderful to read your review! I am glad you had such a memorable stay with us for your special occasion. We are extremely lucky to have such beautiful views available to us and our guests are constantly in awe of them, as are the staff who get to enjoy them too. The bay window is a prefect spot to enjoy the views, I agree!

I have shared your pleasing comments with all our team and I hope we have the chance to offer you a warm welcome back again.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at here, start August 2013 as my company had booked a conference.

From the Staff Member who greeted me and organised my car to be parked & luggage taken to the room, to Reception Staff & every other hotel staff member that I had dealings with, the service & friendliness was faultless.

I stayed in a room on 14 Floor & views over Sydney Harbour to the east brilliant. The rooms are quite spacious with good quality WIFI ( & while this was free to Conference Delegates I did note access costs for normal stay in my opinion quite expensive). All other facilities very good with an extensive mini bar in fridge. The only thing I was slightly disappointed was that shower over a bath with shower curtain, but this is minor and one of my travel quirks that I personally don't like!

I dined daily for breakfast in Cafe on 1st floor, again excellent service and very good selection for Buffett style hot & cold choices. I also had dinner here during my stay (this was not part of conference package). You have two choices of menu, Buffett for $AUS55.00 per head or a-la-carte, which I choose. Superb meal, menu choices should cover everyone taste and presentation is innovative & as I said food is excellent. The Wine list is very good but a little on expensive side although not unreasonable for 5 Star Hotel. The service through my meal was excellent, staff friendly and very knowledgeable about all menu choices including the wine selections. Cost of my meal for 2 course with cost shared on a bottle of wine was $AUS100.00

The building itself is a beautiful restoration of old treasury building (from memory) it has a bar on ground floor, plenty of lifts and decor is lovely. Location for Sydney, you can get much better, very close to Circular Quay, Opera House, The Rocks, Lady Macquarie Chair with Gardens & not too far to walk to Pitt Street Mall shopping district. There are numerous very good quality eateries close by from low price to some of Australia's best top end eateries.

During my stay I brought my car and cost per day to park in hotel car park was $AUS45.00 this is on top of room rate but car parking cost is about average for daily parking in that section of Sydney CBD.

I highly recommend this hotel whether you are visiting Sydney for pleasure or business.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear NewieTraveller,

I was very pleased to read your complimentary review of InterContinental Sydney following your recent conference stay with us.
It is clear that your experience was a positive one and every aspect of your stay met with your expectations, if not exceeded them.
I have shared your excellent feedback with our entire team, from our talented chefs, to Restaurant staff and Front Desk colleagues as well.
We are indeed very fortunate to be ideally situated and our historic Treasury building provides a beautiful and unique feature to our hotel.
I hope that you will return for pleasure next time and that we will be able to offer you a warm welcome you back to enjoy even more of what InterContinental Sydney has to offer.