“Very good Value”

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza
Ranked #107 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews on Tripadvisor.com.au we expected a bad experience. However it was just the opposite. We were given a studio on he top floor.
It had a washing machine, dish washer, microwave, toaster, electric kettle, pots, pans, cutlery, LCD TV and video player. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The linen was newish and good quality. The large balcony overlooked Hyde park. It was very quiet and the staff were very friendly and professional. Very good value when compared to nearby hotels.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone as long as they're not looking for a 5 star.

Room Tip: We were one the top floor facing the park.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksHydePark, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. I am pleased to read that we were able to accommodate for your needs and that you found us at a good value. I will also pass forward your commendation to the staff. Thank you once again for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza in the future.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Hyde Park Plaza

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has the potential to be great, but unfortunately I feel it is a little neglected. I can't understand why management do not take the negative feedback on board and try to give the hotel an overall makeover! The rooms are very spacious, we had great views, nice little balcony, good kitchen facilities and the location was PERFECT for me.
Please give this tired place an upgrade and some air freshner.............

• Stayed: April 2013
OaksHydePark, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you found the location and facilities within the room great. We are currently undergoing extensive renovations within both the rooms and the common areas and understand that it is a long process in order to achieve the standards in which Oaks Hotels & Resorts strive for.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will choose to stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza once all renovations are completed

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is very run down . Some rooms have been upgraded and are OK but all the common areas need work. My room when I finally got into it was very noisy with lots off traffic late at night and again early 4am in the morning.

On checking I was given a room on the 11th floor. However once I opened the door I discovered the room was occupied . Making a hasty retreat to reception I was given another room on the 10th floor but was told it only had single beds..best they could do!! This room was a little strange and the lights wouldn't work for a few minutes but surprise it has a king bed. As I was leaving the room for an evening meal I noticed loud music coming from the room across the hall. As it was early I wasn't too worried but hoped it would have stopped before my return.

On retuning to the hotel the reception staff suggest yet another room change to one of the recently refurbished rooms. I agreed and moved my bags down to the 6th floor. By this stage I was getting fit lugging all my bags by myself.

I dropped the key to the old room to reception and mentioned that the loud music was still playing. Happy now to be on the 6th floor its wasn't going to affect me. I was told by reception that if it wasn't one of their rooms they couldn't do much apart from phone the police. Apparently this is not just a hotel but has privately owned apartments mixed in with hotel room. %$#@@#$#.

So to sum it i won't be straying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Global_Picturetaker

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. I would like to apologise for the constant room changes you had made whilst your stay with us, I understand how frustrating it would be having to move luggage constantly during your stay.

It was unfortunate that you were near a room that was noisy and that this impacted on your ability to relax, I have raised this issue to all staff and has raised at length with our security staff in an attempt to resolve the matter for future guests.
We sincerely regret any upset caused to you during your stay.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Staying at the Oaks' was just short of the worst accommodation I have experienced. It is expensive and and we left feeling we had been had!

I feel for the staff who I am sure are constantly bombarded with complaints about the state of the rooms on offer. On this point I must stress that they were fantastic under the circumstances. The owner/s should be ashamed of themselves for putting their staff in such a potentially abusive situation.

I am sure the rooms are professionally cleaned, but because there has been no effective maintenance for years it looked bloody awful. The windows are not double glazed so the outside noise is very audible and a serious impediment to a good nights sleep.

There is no room service and the only food available was via an ordinary looking Thai restaurant on the ground floor. This was not a problem for us, because we rarely eat in-house, but for those that do I suspect there is a serious problem.

I only spoke to one casual resident and he and his wife had already asked to be moved to a different room. He still wasn't satisfied, but had realised there was probably no alternative, other than to change hotels. Which was not an option given the high occupancy rate in Sydney during our stay.

The only thing going for this place is the location and the poor staff that did their best to make the stay as tolerable as possible.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Muggsy23

Many thanks for the feedback to your stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay and we would like to apologise for the maintenance issues mentioned. I would like to thank you for the positive feedback in regards to our staff and will ensure that they will be commended for their efforts. Once again thank you for your time and we hope that we will be able to accommodate for your needs in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great location, stayed in refurbished one bedroom apartment. Great use of space.
However, the bed did not have any stoppers, so kept on moving. Called reception and they said nothing they can do about it.
Worst aspect was the noise outside. Did not sleep at all. I asked for park view room. Big mistake.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay with Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. I am glad to find that you found the room spacious. It is unfortunate that the noise from the roads had caused a disruption to your stay. I can certainly understand how disrupting the traffic must have been and unfortunately this was beyond the control of Oaks Hotels & Resorts. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that we will be able to meet your standards in future stays with Oaks Hyde Park Plaza.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Location is great - City and all the sights are very accessible via either train or walking. Apartment was booked privately so have no idea what the rest of the place is like, but out apartment was pretty crappy. Mould in the bathroom, bed was old and lumpy, the fire alarm went off three times from the toaster even though we had the window open (we didn't burn the toast either), bedding wasn't adequate and it took four hours to get extra supplied. Pool was out of order, lifts were a bit dodgy too, and the rubbish smell in the hallways was pretty toxic. But the price was cheap (though a backpackers would have likely been cleaner) and location was superb.

• Stayed: March 2013
OaksHydePark, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay, it seems you have booked a private apartment. We are apologetic the fire alarms went off however all apartments in the building are smoke censored for the safety of the guests. Thank you for you time.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

What happened...
We checked in at 2pm Saturday. The apartment on the 10th floor was spacious and clean with a modern fridge and convection microwave stove. The bed was comfortable and we settled in for a quiet restful night. At around 11.35pm he first sounds of the room party opposite our room woke us. For the next five hours the din hardly ceased. Three times we called reception and despite requests from the security guard on duty the partygoers continued to prevent sleep. In our experience any establishment which takes money from its guests also accepts responsibility to ensure they are not disturbed. But this standard does not apply at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. On his second visit, the security guard invited us to call the Police if we wanted the din to cease! After a completely sleepless night, including an encounter with a different group of five completely intoxicated guests who accosted one of us in the lift, we recounted our experience to reception in the morning. We were informed that indeed the Police had attended during the night to deal with a disturbance in an apartment on the third floor. Otherwise, as the room opposite us was not owned by the Oaks, there was nothing that could be done. We were offered another room on the third floor (after being assured that the residents of the "Fun Room" who the Police had visited were checking out). Despite several attempts,the keys to this room did not work (this appears to be a problem with many of the room keys in this establishment) and we were offered another higher standard room for the last night of our stay. This room was recently refurbished and was clean although smaller than our original room. Our last night was undisturbed but effectively our weekend was ruined through lack of sleep and discomfort and disturbance.

As other reviewers have commented, this building appears run down and presents an overall shabby appearance. A legal notice in the lobby suggests that there is some sort of complex legal dispute affecting the building. The building seems to comprise apartments occupied by owners and tenants and a number are offered by Oaks for short term guests like us.

From our experience Oaks appears to take no responsibility for disturbances by owners or tenants of other apartments who disrupt their guests' sleep. Instead it passes this responsibility to the New South Wales Police who must have more pressing demands on them than controlling drunken behaviour in expensively priced serviced apartments.

Even Sydney's backpacker hostels would not tolerate what we experienced.

While it is true that the staff on reception are friendly and ultimately provided us with a room where we were not further disturbed, this does not relieve Oaks senior management from its responsibility to ensure that guests are safe and undisturbed. If they cannot meet this fundamental requirement of the hospitality industry, they should consider not offering apartments to overnight guests at this property.

Room Tip: Saturday night is party night; make sure you get a room in a quiet part of the building. If any dist...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank petermck

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback in regards to your stay.
It is unfortunate that during your stay that you did not get sufficient sleep due to the party that has been taking place. Oaks Hyde Park Plaza has a strict “No Party Policy” rule in which we have all guests sign. I would like to apologise once again that security was not able to cease the noise whilst your stay and have spoken to them since.

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza is currently undergoing extensive renovations as we are aware that the building is run down and there are extensive plans for the common areas to be updated.We take your comments seriously and sincerely regret any upset caused to you during your stay. Thank you for the feedback once again.