“Tired, dirty and a disgrace to a fine city”

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza
Ranked #111 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Even the reception desk needs a coat of paint and it just gets worse from there onwards. Room had a nasty smell, furniture threadbare, cigarette burns on bathroom vanity, mouldy grouting between bathroom tiles, stains on walls. The only redeeming feature is the location and view out over Hyde Park - and believe me there's little you'd want to look at inside the room!
Oaks hotels are generally very nice. This place is dreadful. Avoid!

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank The_man_in_Seat_29C
OaksHydePark, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. We would like to apologise for the issues you experienced while staying with us. I would like to advise you that Oaks Hyde Park Plaza are currently undergoing renovations and the reception will be due for it’s renovations in the coming months. I have spoken with my housekeeping managers in regards to the quality of housekeeping during your stay and we will be striving to work towards the issues. We are very concerned to read of your experiences while staying with us and would like the opportunity to discuss the matters with you further. Please contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I booked a private apartment in this building and though it was basic it was very spacious and on a higher floor with fabulous views from panoramic windows. We had all the facilities you need to self cater and there was a 7/11 around the corner if you need provisions. The view overlooked the park which housed the Anzac memorial and a nice 30-40 minute stroll would take you right to Sydney Harbour. The bus stops and station are literally just 3 mins walk if needed but walk straight ahead to George St the main shopping thoroughfare and you will find all manor of shops and restaurants, turning right toward the harbour makes a great walk interspersed with many facilities. The accommodation itself provides a roof top swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym which have amazing views of the Sydney skyline, wonderful both day and night and a dip in the hot tub made for a great end to the day and we met many people in there for a few beers and a chat. The staff at reception were extremely helpful and I would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a high floor and park view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank borobabe_69
OaksHydePark, Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. We are pleased you found the hotel to be in a central location enabling you to get around the city freely. We are happy you found the amenities of the hotel to be of a good standard and relaxing.

It is also great to hear positive feedback on the staff that they were helpful, I will pass on your nice comments to them. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights on my last leg of trip before coming home. Reception staff were all helpful, friendly and excellent. I was on 14th floor which was fantastic - beautiful view and minimum noise from traffic below. Only problem was the noise during the day on the first 2 days from the works to the pool area on floor above - drilling at 7.30am - not fun! Was disappointed that pool and gym were not available to use but appreciate these things need updating every now and then. The room itself...sure a bit of DIY needed but was clean, everything provided for and in such a good location....not bad really. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank liz b
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. It is great to read that you found your apartment quiet and clean and in a good location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Oaks Hyde Park for 3 nights. The room we had was a bit dated and could do with a lick of paint and new carpets and a bathroom update, but apart from that it was very clean and the bed was very comfortable which at the end of the day I think are the most important things. I was a bit dissapointed that the pool was closed as this was the main reason I chose this accommodation for somewhere to chill out after walking round Sydney all day, apart from that it was OK. Ask for a room higher than the 3rd floor as it was very noisy from the road traffic noise and people going home early in the morning from a night out! Good location for restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol_A_N
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. We are pleased to read that you found your apartment clean and that your bed was comfortable. Its great to read that you were able to take advantage of the location and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights 13 Aug 2012. Arrived early and reception bent over backwards to find me a room as I was not feeling too great. Whilst metioning reception-during my stay I made several enquiries about visiting different areas and I found all the reception staff very polite, chatty and helpful so a big thumbs up to all of you.
Back to the apartmentment - all was clean even though a bit dated but I was expecting that anyway. All the appliances worked well and cleaning staff left enough cleaning materials for doing your washing. Bed very comfortable as were the chairs and other seating. A good sized apartment which had everything that I needed for my short visit. The room was quiet enough and I did not notice any traffic noise but then again we were not facing the park.
The location is fantastic with a pleasant 15ish minute walk to Darling Harbour, about 5 min to Museum station and loads of bus routes just around the corner. Also shops & supermarket round the corner on Oxford St for your local food shopping. The swimming pool on the roof was a bonus with great views of the city. Would I stay here again? Yes absolutely without any doubt.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WorldRoamer59

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. It is wonderful to read that you were happy with your apartment and found it clean with all the essentials you require. It is great to head that our staff were able to help you check into a room earlier and that you found them polite and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

After reading countless negative reviews of this hotel, I knew that I wasn't going to be staying in a 5 star resort. But that is not what I needed or wanted. I was travelling to Sydney for work and to catch up with friends, and wanted a base that was in a convenient location and cheap. I wasn't planning on spending countless hours in my room, I needed somewhere close to the city mainly to sleep.

The lobby was clean, fresh smelling, and welcoming. The front desk staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel is definitely dated but if you are paying less than $120 per night, what do you expect??

The room was reasonably spacious, the bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The shower was hot. I had a balcony overlooking Oxford St, so it was a little noisy but that's what happens when you stay in the heart of a big city. The location is fantastic - 20 minute walk in either direction to the Opera House / Wooloomooloo / Surry Hills / QVB / Central Station. The kitchen was fully equipped. I really only needed the fridge so can't comment on whether the other appliances worked. I didn't use the TV or movie service as I had my laptop. There is no wifi in the room but I had a USB modem so it didn't matter.

The carpet was old and a bit stained in places, so it could definitely do with an upgrade. There were a couple of lightbulbs missing and the tap and shower head dripped; but I pointed all of those out to the front desk when I checked out.

It's not a place I would book into for a romantic weekend away, but as a solo female traveller it was perfect for me and I felt quite comfortable and safe. I would definitely stay there again, even with my teenage children as the location is just fantastic.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having the balcony so worth getting a studio apartment if you also prefer that.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Cindy H
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. It is great to read that you found your apartment reasonably spacious with a comfortable bed and you could enjoy the central location of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My young daughter and I came to Sydney for a mother/daughter holiday for 5 nights, I booked via phone direct with the hotel. I had booked a 3.5 star studio room, upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly reception staff and went up to our room - I think we must have been upgraded to a 4 star room as it looked much nicer than the pictures on their website. Great size room, overlooking Hyde Park, opening windows, king size bed, good TV, handy kitchenette, spacious bathroom, lounge and coffee table. The only 1 thing that I wasn't happy with was that there was only 1 chair that went with the kitchen table. The Air-Con was fine, lots of room to put our luggage, blockout curtains etc. It was a very quiet hotel didn't hear other guests. A little noisy from the street traffic but to be expected. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma W
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. It is wonderful to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us and found your apartment a great size. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.