“Another great stay”
Review of Hyde Park Inn

Hyde Park Inn
Ranked #59 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our third stay at this hotel. We use it to overnight before getting on a cruiseship but I also wouldn't hesitate to stay there if I was spending more time in Sydney. The rooms (family deluxe) are spotless and the beds so comfortable with crisp white linen. The location is fantastic and my dealings with the staff have been good. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is a small hotel and there is not the amenities you get in the bigger hotels - ie. gymnasium, pool, buffet breakfast, bars, restaurants etc. There is a restaurant next door which can be accessed from inside the hotel - we didn't use it so can't comment. Loads of cafes, bars, shops etc etc close by. If you want a value for money hotel in a great city location, this is it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jenhh76
Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, we stayed here when going to watch Carols in the Domain. Its only about a 15 minute walk to the Domain which is great. And the balcony gave us a great view of the fireworks. Although its small, the balcony can fit two people (standing room only) comfortably however you unfortunately have the air conditioning unit in your ear. The kitchen and bathroom were great, as was the bedroom.
If you request a parking space for your car you are allocated a space when you arrive by buzzing a small box in the driveway. They instruct you a spot eg 'C7.' This is fine except the average sedan has trouble maneuvering around the sharp corners and into the tiny spaces which the car park provides. You're understandably required to leave your keys with reception however this does prove frustrating when you need to use or access your car during very early or late hours as the desk is often unattended.
The real thing that lets this hotel down is the service received from staff. There is just no warmth to them. In my experience we were treated as a transaction and nothing more. I had to ask to have my booking confirmation emailed to me and although you can access your car at any time they do tend to treat you as an inconvenience.

Apart from the carpark and the service this hotel is actually a pretty good find.
I'm not sure its quite worth the money but I guess you're paying for the location.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a balcony room. Levels 5 - 15
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I've been using this hotel for regular business trips (3 days per week) for January.

I was about to book for 3 nights per week for the next few months, but after the way the supposed manager on duty spoke to me this morning I am reconsidering this.

On check-in, I was disappointed that the toilet had been used AND NOT CLEANED prior to my arrival. Despite notifying staff, this wasn't fixed the next day either! The night manager came up to the room and cleaned it himself when I raised it for the second time, to his credit.

On check-out, I was given some grief by the duty manager and the receptionist about leaving my vehicle in the car park for the day. I raised the dirty toilet issue and was accused by the manager of making it up. I informed her I had photos and she replied with "Well, you can have your little photos..."

Needless to say I left before my normally reasonable tolerance level for fools was reached.

Appalling attitude that probably just cost this business about 30 room nights.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank MattNSW
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The room was spacious, very clean and with a nice view. The Continental breakfast was okay but i missed my Vegemite. The light switch did not work properly but was okay for the night. The bathroom was lovely and clean. Even though i realise that parking is at a premium in Elisabeth Street it was slightly annoying that we could not park underneath the hotel. As we are fit people, walking three blocks with our luggage to our car park was not an issue for us. People with little kids or elderly people would find this a bit hard. Also, driving into one of the parking spaces below to unload our car we found that our car hardly fitted. It is a 4x4 but not a huge one. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to our friends.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Monika M
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Great Location in the heart of sydney and convient to the Hop On-Hop Off bus routes. Decent sized room with great view of Hyde Park. Continental breakfast left in your refrigerator was adequate but not great. Great hotel for seeing the sights of Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert C
Reviewed January 6, 2014

doesn't have a great deal in the range of services and amenities. the breakfast (continental) is left in the fridge and consists of orange juice, bread (for toast), cereal and milk.
the room is a decent size with a double and single bed and a decent amount of room it reminds me of an apart hotel rather than a traditional hotel and if this is what you want then the location is excellent.
we stayed in a budget room a few days later for one night and it was very compact and ideal of a very short stay if you don't want to unpack or are travelling light, overall 3.5 stars and decent value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank david h
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Nice hotel. Great location you can get on the metro right across the street at the park. They have a nice free laundry room good bonus. Wifi is limited to 999mb per day which was plenty if you don't stream movies. Downside: small lobby and small room. We stayed over Christmas and they were busy of course, yet the staff is very friendly, overall good price for great location in Sydney...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple