“Not again”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Not again”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

was here to celebrate my birthday, was not impressed, bad service, problem with hot water, old room

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Receptionist was not professional and she did not know what she was saying. I pre-ordered a strawberry and chocolate fondue. The chocolate fondue wasn't melted and it was very hard, so I asked for a refund. The duty manager told to me that it is not refundable. That is so ridiculous and I was so annoyed with her response. During check out, I asked the receptionist one last time that there is any charges for the strawberry and chocolate fondue, the receptionist told me that they have taken the charges out from my account due to the chocolate wasn't fresh and there will be no charges to my account. However, I checked my bill few days after, there was a charge for the fondue! This clearly proves that the hotel staffs do not communicate with each other clearly. So, I called up and talked to the duty manager, she said she has already spoken to the receptionist who assisting me during my check out, the receptionist said she couldn not remember she has said that to me. That is just even more RIDICULOUS! Such a bad service.

Do not need any reply from Hotel Ibis Darling Harbour to this comment as their answers are not genuine. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Finding the hotel when arriving on the light rail system was very difficult and the signage for the hotel is very, very small. Considering the fact that you have to alight from the tram and then make your way through a multi storey car park I would have thought it to be in the hotels best interest to ensure that signage was LARGE and adequate. Fortunately, I had spoken to the conductor on my tram journey, however it was still confusing once I entered the car park. Upon check in I was charged an extra $50 room security deposit, this was not mentioned when I booked the accommodation but was not a big issue. The room I was allocated was a Pyrmont view room, very, very disappointing. The room size was very small, the bed continually moved around the limited space as it was on castors, there is a significant trip and fall hazard when entering the ensuite because of the floor height between room and amenities, virtually no space to negotiate around the room with a suitcase and that is why there are scuff marks on the walls, one of the room lights nearest the window was not working and the television was throwing alarming colours of red and orange. When I called reception re t.v the tech services man was prompt in attendance however his adjustment did not achieve much in the way of improvement, therefore I was not going to purchase a movie to watch.There is virtually no manner of invitation, percentage off deal or inducement to spend your money inside the hotel on food and beverage, when I requested a copy of both the iBistro and Grab and Go menus from reception the photocopying quality was so poor it was virtually unreadable. Please also be aware that the staff frown upon you for purchasing alcohol elsewhere and enjoying a quiet drink, alone, in the room that you paid (too much) for. My stay was terrible, the room was overrated and undersized, some staff were rude and I would not recommend the Ibis as Sydney has so much more great accommodation to offer for the same amount of money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear tori a,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour and for taking the time to review our hotel.

Honest and constructive feedback is vital to our business and allows us to gauge our performance based on the services that we offer and the way in which these are delivered.

In regards to the light rail and signage in the Harbourside car park, it is unfortunate that we are unable to have larger signage. I totally agree that it would be most beneficial to our business and add convenience to all guests that utilise the light rail service to come to our hotel but this area is not controlled by our hotel.

We will however use your general comments regarding this when we re-negotiate our agreement with the operators of this area.

During your check in reception would have taken an authorisation against your credit card. This allows you the ability to charge services back to your room. Please accept our apologies that this was not explained to you during your reservation. I will follow this up with the reservations department and highlight the importance of explaining this.

The ibistro and ibar located within the hotel has a modest menu in place and we have researched many dining establishments in the local area to ensure that our product is a value proposition against these. The hotel does offer dining discounts for our guests via our Advantage Plus loyalty program and should you wish to gain further information on this please log onto the Accor Hotels web-site. The benefits of this program not only include dining discounts but also discounts on accommodation and loyalty points are earnt when staying in our hotels that can be converted into vouchers to further utilsise within our hotels.

I was surprised that our staff were rude in nature as we frequently gain very good comments regarding their friendly and professional nature. The drinking of alcohol in your room should never be a problem unless of course other guests in the hotel are being inconvenienced due to noise. The only time that drinking of alcohol purchased offsite becomes a problem is when this is consumed in an area of the hotel that is licensed.

Again, thank you for reviewing our hotel and I do hope that we have the opportunity to serve you when you next visit Sydney, Darling Harbour.

Warm Regards

Klaus Kinateder
Sheffield
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

A 3 night stay in June for my husband and me, we arrived at tea time and checked straight into our room, on our booking it stated deluxe room, let me just say there was nothing deluxe about it. Very flat pillows and only one spare so had to ask for another the following day. A gap at the bottom of the door meant that you heard everyone talking who went up and down the corridor. The bathroom was small with just a shower cubical and no bath but was very clean. The central location of this hotel was for me the best bit. It sits right on Darling harbour with some great views over Sydney at night. It is within easy walking distance of the sydney tower and china town, the rail net work in sydney is quick and easy to use. You can catch a ferry to Manley which i highly recomend, as you get great views of the opera house and the bridge. The bar does happy hour 5-6pm and the bar tenders are friendly and polite. You can eat in the hotel but we decided to eat out in the city. Overall if it's just a bed to sleep in and you want a great location then this hotel is for you.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great location! In Darling Harbour, close to monorail, train & lots of tourist attractions. The rooms are a little on the small side but it doesn't really matter because there is so much to do in the area we were only there long enough to fall asleep, shower & go again. The staff were very friendly & helpful. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family