“Very compact” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour

Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour
Ranked #86 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights while attending a conference at the nearby convention and exhibition centre.

The good points of this hotel are the proximity to the conference centre and Darling Harbour with the many bars, restaurants etc and pleasant views. A short walk to the Sydney CBD too. This is where the good ends. The staff were also quite friendly and attentive.

The hotel seems to charge a WAY TO HIGH cost per night considering the style of hotel it is, if it was cheaper then i would rate the hotel higher. I know Sydney is an expensive city, but while I was in the hotel I found a couple of better places nearby with similar rates - including a huge serviced apartment! Too bad my room was prepaid.

Here is the low down:

The rooms are tiny, this is quite normal for Ibis but for this price you expect a bit more in width as you could barely get past the bed. The only space for your bag - and it better not be a suitcase as it would not fit is the built in pseudo "seat".

The mattress is one of the most uncomfortable mattresses ever. it needs replacing. There are two pillows, one hard as a rock and the other flat as a pancake. There is no duvet- it is a sort of "mattress protector like" material stuffed inside the sheet - cheap and nasty, you are cold at night if the aircon is on, if you leave the aircon off you can't breath as its too stuffy. There is a dusty blanket on top of the "cupboard" - but who wants to use that. Needless to say my sleep quality was poor, I had trouble sleeping every night (see also "noise" below).

The "cupboard" is really a space near the window about 25 -30 cm wide where you can hang your clothes - NO DRAWERS anywhere - they could easily fit under the built in desk by the window - i hate not having drawers, there is no where to put your stuff.

The bathroom although small is adequate, it has lots of shelf space but there is a stand alone sink with no space around it when they could have put in a small bench. My toilet cistern was not working properly, I had to keep fixing it by opening the back.

I think the worse thing of all is the paper-like quality of the walls - you can hear it very loud when someone above or to the side of you has a shower, watches TV or coughs. You can hear it really loudly when people walk down the hallway.

Oh yes - the cleaners - they begin cleaning by 7.30 -8.00 am - they don't care that guests might be sleeping - they bang doors, the vacuum cleaner on the walls, they talk loud.... and they bang on your door if you don't have your do not disturb sign up, and since there is no chain on the door, you freak out they might come in so get up anyway. But you can't sleep anyway if the racket is going on outside.

The internet charges are ridiculous! I "thought" I was signing up for 24 hours to use as I like over my stay for $24. But this was only 24 hours full stop. What a rip off!

I had to hire a locker to store my luggage after checkout for $7. It was so cheap and nasty - yet it was not cheap as I paid! Never seen this before in a hotel. It leaves a nasty feeling inside.

I never had breakfast here - why should i when there is no view... I took the short walk to Darling Harbour and dined by the seaside every morning.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont pay for the Harbour view - these rooms dont really see the harbour unless they are on the top f...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AccorDHSM, Manager at Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Fluffybinks,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ibis Darling Harbour and for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay.

It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your stay entirely but we are happy that you enjoyed our location and the hospitality of the team.

As you pointed out, Sydney can be expensive at certain times of the year and this is obviously when demand is very high within the CBD, very similar to when Melbourne hosts the F1 or Indy on the Gold Coast but there are also periods where one can find great specials.

Serviced apartments generally have the ability to charge lower rates than 4 to 5 star hotels because of they do not offer any services other than your basic check in and check out.

The Ibis brand is a 3 star international standard hotel that offers basic services that one would expect in an economy hotel, 24 hour reception, over night security, food and beverage services and daily housekeeping service.

To keep room rates down we have some services that are of a user pays system, one area that you mentioned is luggage storage. Ibis Hotels do not have concierge or porters but there is still a need for guests at times to store their luggage. For this reason we have engaged a third party to supply storage lockers that are self service.

In regards to internet charges, I have to agree with you but this is not isolated to the Ibis Darling Harbour. In general, the cost of internet within Australia is very expensive. We are continually working with our 3rd party providers to ensure that we are getting the best deals and pass on these savings.

I believe that our free WiFI and internet within the bar and lobby area has been a great success and we have received a lot of favorable feedback on this free service.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope that you choose to stay in an Accor hotel when you next travel.

Kind Regards,

Klaus Kinateder
Caronno Pertusella, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel is very basic not offering anything but a barebone small room.
Rooms does not have even space where to put an open suitcase (I had to put mine on the bed), there is no shower soap (this is crazy!) and they don't even offer a plain bottle of water.
In my room there was a window curtain broken but the most crazy things is how they charge internet access. I download few videos worth about 300Mb of data and they charged me the equivalent of one hundred euro.
Needless to say that I immediately check-out from that trap.
would not recommend to anybody.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank adalbore
AccorDHSM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Mr Adalbore

Thank you for your feedback. We genuinely appreciate it.

To answer your comments, we agree that our rooms are not large and measure 18 m2 as detailed on our website. Whilst small, our rooms are also very comfortable for short stays and conveniently located to Darling Harbour and the city. The rooms are an international standard size Ibis room and are fitted out according to our global standards. These standards are also prevalent in Italy. Our room amenities consist of 1x shampoo, 1x conditioner, and 1 x soap and are replenished daily. You are correct that we do not provide complimentary bottled water as we are a three star hotel, however you may certainly find this amenity in 5 star hotels. We pride ourselves on our location, convenience and great comfort food dining.

I am sorry to hear that the blind shade in your room was broken. We have investigated the blind and have not found any fault in the blind – it moved well and covered the entire window. As blind is designed to be attached to the frame via velcro, we can only assume that this unattached during your stay. For this we apologise.

Regarding the internet, I believe that we did advise you upon arrival what the internet charges for your room were and also of the potential additional cost in the event you wanted to download large files. On your second night you did provide us with feedback that the internet charges were excessive. We explained to you that the megabyte usage for 24hrs was for a 200MB download and showed you the flyer that was in your room that explained this. Our records show that you used 944.23MB in a space of 40minutes. We then offered to call our third party service provider to seek a better plan for you as you were a higher internet user, however you chose not to pursue this option. I understand that you used the internet another two times before you departed the next day. Furthermore. you would also have noticed that we have a desktop computer with printer located in the hotel Lobby that has free internet access. Alternatively there are another two PC’s with printer located adjacent to the Hotel Bar where you can pay $2 for 20 minutes. Lastly, there is 30minutes of free wireless internet in the public areas on level 1.

The reason why we highlight these services is to explain to you that we have these amenities to satisfy and service our guests. Like many hotels in Australia we do not own our internet infrastructure and need to solicit the assistance of a third party provider. The costs are based on the data that you download and the speed you would like it downloaded. The bigger the files the more expensive the price. This solution was provided after much research in understanding the internet requirements of our guests. We found that most guests use the following applications all of which use up only 100MB each (this is explained in the pamphlet we showed you);

• 100 web pages
• 40 minutes on You Tube (std definition)
• 180 minutes on voice Skype
• 40 minutes on video Skype
• 600 emails with no attachments
• 100 emails with average attachments
• 25 songs on iTunes

For your interest, currently under development in Australia is the National Broadband Network (NBN) - a national wholesale-only, open-access data network. The network will gradually replace the copper network, owned by our telecommunications providor Telstra and currently used for most telephony and data services. This multi billion dollar project by the Australian Government will make internet more accessible, both in service and cost, across the country. Commenced in 2010 the project is expected to last 10 years with annual rollout to various areas throughout Australia.

Mr Adalbore, we very much appreciate your feedback and hope that the above explanation serves to clarify some of the issues you raised. Once again, thank you and we hope that one day you will return to Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour in your travels.

Buon Viaggio

Lorraine Mercuri
Accor's Darling Harbour Hotels

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

North Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed in the Hotel Ibis for four nights during our stay in Australia at the end of February. The hotel is in a great location for all the amenities of the Darling Harbour. We were a bit disappointed at the size of the room, it was very much like a room in a Premier Inn or Travelodge and we had expected more for our money. Saying that though, it was clean and the bed was comfy. We were also shocked at having to pay for leaving our suitcases when we checked out until our transfer arrived, whereas other hotels we stayed in looked after them free of charge. All-in-all we enjoyed our stay in Sydney but may look for another hotel to stay in if we return again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

As the title says not what was expected, not for price paid. The location was ok, but not the standard I expected a lot more for the price I paid.
The food very plain and did not do the hotel any favours as the staff looked unhappy to serve you, but they were helpful when asked and could not fault that but only when ask they helped but they had to be asked as the offer was not there.
As I said not what I expected.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple