“Convenient location at a reasonable price”

Ibis Sydney World Square
Ranked #92 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Devon, United Kingdom
“Convenient location at a reasonable price”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Australia is not cheap thanks to the exchange rate so to make your money stretch sometimes you have to downgrade. So the Ibis is a popular place for people on a budget. Its got a good location (just don't haul luggage on the train from the airport and try to get it up the nearby Museum station which has no elevators - take a taxi instead) and is close to the monorail and the CBD.
The rooms are all on the small side but they are clean, have good city views and are well equipped. This may not be your most memorable or romantic night in a hotel, but you should get a good nights sleep before you take on Sydney!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mfs1011
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
Hi,

Thank you for your review.
I am glad you have a great visit to Sydney.
Our rooms are perfect for the visitor on the go.

Regards,

michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto
Reviewed October 30, 2009

i had the chance to book a room at the Westin on Martin place for a cheaper price than the ibis, but decided to give ibis a try since i had never stayed with them before. I arrived super early in the morning from Toronto, went straight to the hotel and even thought check in time was not until 14:00 the lady at the desk said i could check in earlier as soon as a room became available. She offered me a smoking room which i had to turn down since im allergic to smoke. I waited for an hour and a half just to see two couples (male-male and female -male) just walked in and get their rooms on the spot. The girl behind the desk forgot about me and gave more rooms away even though i was sitting in front of her in the lobby. after questioning the fact that i waited for so long for the room when they actually had some available, she just didn't seem to care. handed me the key and that was the end of it. Later that night i booked the airport shuttle service from them, originally wanted to book it for 7 30 am ( it takes about an hour to get to the airport, since the shuttle stops at every other hotel in Sydney), the 7 30 shuttle wasn't available, so they gave me the 8:30..i got there around 8 :15 since they ask you to be at the lobby 10 minutes prior to scheduled pick up time. Shuttle never showed up, same girl who ignored me the day before said the shuttle was never booked ( even thought they had already taken my money) the manager Michelle was present and saw what was going on, and demanded them( the shuttle bus company) to pay for my taxi to the airport...at the end i just got my money back for the shuttle and had to take the train. Overall, a bad experience, would i stay there again ? the answer is NO.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank kraikels
Hi,

Thank you. I did a check on the other rooms that were avaliable and they were smoking rooms, whic you did not want. However I am glad we were still able to give you an early check in.
In regards to the Shuttle Bus, I understand the staff have contacted you and given you a refund. The owner of the shuttle Bus company was not avalible on the day of departure and the other staff was not able to assist us in your matter.
We hope you will return to Sydney in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Queensland
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We had such a great time in Sydney and enjoyed our time spent at the Ibis. One thing I will say is that it is only a budget hotel so do not expect too much. We went there expecting less and came away pleasntly surprised.

The staff were great, I had a problem with the aircon and I just told reception on the way out and when I came back it was fixed. The rooms are small but all we did was sleep in there anyway, we spent all our 4 days exploring. They had all the basic ammenities a hotel should have.

The resturant only did breakfast but with a pub and good pub meals on every corner you didnt need to eat there anyway. One pub I will suggest is the Crown Hotel one block up best meal I had in Sydney. The selection was just fine and all the food was cooked quite well. The staff were always cleaning the tables and the place was sometimes too clean.

If you get to meet the famous Theo your holiday will be even better. He always had us in stiches and was never without a smile. All the staff were fantastic. Greeting us with a smile and a hello as soon as we walked into the door. We are not really used to that. The staff obviously love their job or have excellent training. Could be a combination of both.

I cannot wait to visit Sydney again and will be using the Ibis next time I stay there. :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Hi,
Thank you very much your review and compliments of the hotel and its staff. I am very proud of the entire team and this review is a direct reflection of their consistent desire to deliver the best level of customer service possible.
As you have also mentioned the hotel is ideally located for the business and leisure traveller, and I am glad you had such an enjoyable stay.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit to Sydney, and look forward to passing on your comments to the team.

Michelle
swings07
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Only stayed one night, so perhaps was given the worst room on level 2.
Its the worst room because the night club next door sounds like its in your room. It went til after 4am. Enough said.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swings07
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, October 7, 2009
Dear Reviewer,

I was most concerned to read of the problems you experienced during your stay in relation to being disturbed by the noise of the Civic Hotel located next door to the Ibis Hotel. Rest assured I have discussed these shortcomings with the owner of the Civic Hotel in order to avoid such occurrences in the future. As it was the Grand Final football weekend, they had a group in attending a function. It is my understanding the Night Auditor requested the music be turned down and the request was honoured.

Melbourne
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Stayed at this hotel as I was booked in for a conference. The room had already been fully booked and upon arriving they requested that I pay for the room. As it was after business hours I couldn't call my employer but I refused to pay and told them that I would get my employer to contact them first thing in the morning. As I was staying 3 nights they said this was fine.

I had requested a double room and was given a twin. Room tiny, bathroom even smaller and not the cleanest... only good thing about the room was the plasma tv. Breakfast was average.

I went to use the gym equipment one morning... half of it not working. On the last day, rubbish was left by the cleaners from the morning in the foyer near the lifts on my floor for over 4 hours. You had to hold your breath everytime you wanted to use the lift.

Only good thing about this hotel is the location. Central to everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank lus76
Thank you for taking the time to take photos and review the Hotel.
The Gym is fully operational and is checked by an outside company every 3 months. The Report is then placed in a frame on the wall. I have personally checked the Gym and all equipment is operational. Could it be possible you did not understand how to use the equipment, the staff will always assist if possible.
Unfortunately I can not change the views from the rooms as we are located in the City Centre and yes some building tops are unattractive. The building you took a photo of is the Mandarin Club and it is in the midst of reconstruction. They may upgrade the rooftop.
I will speak to the housekeeping department in regards to the garbage left in the hallway., this is not our normal standard.

Warm Regards,

Michelle Taylor
Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Booking an Ibis Hotel you usually know already that you should not expect too much. You book this brand because the room-rate is usually OK and you get a decent hotel in a good location. We stayed at several Ibis Hotels before and during the same vacation also at the Ibis Little Bourke Street in Melbourne, which fulfilled all expectations in a positive way.
Unfortunately we must say about the Ibis World Square Sydney that it was the first and also the last time we stayed at this hotel and for sure we will not recommend it to friends or other people, since here we felt really "ripped off". It is well known that Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world, but for this stay even the room rate at this Ibis Hotel was exaggerated for what we received. The room was clean, but everyday something else was missing in the bathroom due an inconsistent housekeeping. The number of towels provided for 2 people is ridiculous. The internet in the room did not work (yes, we were willing to pay exaggerated rates for that, but it did not work anyway. Luckily there was a cheap internet cafe just around the corner). The choice of TV channels is poor. AUD 18 for breakfast is not justified at all. Luckily enough coffee shops and a McDonalds are in walking distance. To store your luggage you have to pay AUD 7 per locker, and of course the lockers have a size that only 1 average sized suitcase fits inside. So if you travel with 2 suitcases, what might happen during a longer journey through Australia, you have to pay for 2 lockers. The staff at the reception was not really unfriendly, but also not friendly - uninterested fits most to the way they "served" you. No explanation or information about the hotel was given at all and they made us feel like we disturb them during all 3 times we had contact with them (check in, check out and asking for coins for the locker, since neither bills nor cards or possible for these lockers). The absolute "highlight" was that we had to pay a surcharge of 1.5% for paying the room-bill with our credit card! In no other hotel world wide, also not in other Ibis Hotels, this ever happened to us - we travel a lot, also in so-called "developing countries". One positive experience: shortly after checking out we received an online questionnaire from Ibis, which we returned the same day. To our surprise we received an immediate response by the hotel manager (which was most likely the usual answer everyone who was not happy with the hotel gets, but at least she reacted quickly). The Ibis World Square was our most disappointing hotel-experience since many years. We will come again to Sydney, but we will stay in another hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nat006
Clayton, NC 27520
Reviewed September 22, 2009

1 block off of George St, Close to Chinatown, Darling Harbour. Location could not have been better, also Paddy:s market. Our room #1312 was very quite and clean. 1 queen size bed and adquate closet and drawer space. Gate one had the breakfast provided to us. It was ok they just need to learn to completly cook their eggs. Would stay here if return to Sidney again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aplay58
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Michelle Taylor at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Ibis World Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.