“Heart of the City!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa, Florida
“Heart of the City!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Talk about a perfect location! This hotel literally situation in the center of Sydney which makes traveling by foot super convenient. I traveled here for business so it was easy to get transportation from airport to main locations to meet clients.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They also helped steer me around to a couple local hotspots. The rooms were clean, well equipped with comfy bed and linens, but nothing too fancy. Just simple comfort.

If your looking for a cheap hotel strategically placed in the city, I would highly recommend them.

Room Tip: I stayed in the standard room - it has a desk, queen bed, flat screen, but you have to pay for inter...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

It's my first stay at an Ibis in years, as my 'usual hotel' was full. This feels like a 'cheap and cheerful' refurb - particularly the paint job. "Plush pillows and inviting duvets" they claim in their marketing. I'd call it paper thin duvets (I needed a blanked from the wardrobe - that was not clean) and uncomfy pillows.

It's the first time I've ever ordered "room service" in a hotel, only to have to collect it from reception in a brown paper bag. In fairness they call it "Grab and Go". It wasn't great either... chips were good; club sandwich was 'meh'. Now I know why it was cheaper than other room service I've had. The "fruit" at breakfast came out of a tin. Yuk! Maybe my expectations are too high.

The thing that let this place down the most was its cleanliness. Sheets/towels all good (thankfully) but vacuuming and general cleaning in the room could be much improved. Areas of the bathroom are dirty - a definite no no! Work desk not cleaned and still had a long, stray hair (from a previous tenant - not mine) and the crumbs from last night's club sandwich. Nice.

On the plus side, check in was prompt and friendly. All staff I've encountered have been good.

I would not be rushing back to this hotel, I have to say.

That said, if you can find a cheap deal (mine wasn't) and you're not as fussy as me, then it's at least a good location and the staff I met were nice.

Room Tip: I was in an "01" room. It's across from the lift, so avoid if "ding dong" a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis World Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I knew when booking an Ibis not to expect too much but was sold on the price and location. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and check in was prompt. My room was small but perfectly acceptable for one person with a comfortable enough bed, good TV channel selection and was clean. The air conditioning also worked brilliantly in the Sydney heat.
The bathroom was small and older style, the shower was a bit rusty and gross.
There is a small gym available (not expected from an Ibis!) which was clean and had a few treadmills, bike and weights.
The breakfast is nothing fancy - just the basics, cereals, toast eggs, bacon etc but the staff in there were very friendly.
I think I drew the short straw with room choice. I was on the second floor facing the street and was awoken by loud music from the bar next door and I was also the room next to the room service closet, next to the lift and the floor with the gym and breakfast area. It was a pretty noisy area to be!
The location is fantastic but I think next time I will pay a little bit more for something a bit more modern.

Room Tip: As high as possible to escape street noise and as far away from the room service closets to avoid co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great location in Haymarket area, practically next to Chinatown area and only 5-10 mins walk to Darling Harbour and Westfield Pitt St Mall. You can also just walk up to Museum station at Hyde Park to visit Sydney Harbour & Opera House. Lots of eating places around the area. Room size is typical IBIS, compact but with basic amenities such as coffee/tea/fridge/iron. Housekeeping staff were great in terms of re-making up of the room and were very friendly when bumping into hotel guests.

After a long drive from Melbourne to Sydney, unfortunately our experience was spoiled by a Front Desk staff (possibly a duty manager) upon check-in early evening. We emailed them 1 week prior to arrival and requested a double room and received confirmation that everything was OK. No welcome smile upon check-in.. (what's going on with the customer service?). After advising her that we had a booking and produced my ID, we were asked again on how many nights we needed to stay and even then, we were asked on the name of the booking. Finally after insisting on having booked a room, she re-checked the system and found our booking. When checking the arrival form, we realised that we were assigned a twin room and advised them that we requested for double room. The staff seemed to find it difficult to understand the difference between twin and double room. She gave a 'strange discriminating look' at my partner and myself and insisted that we requested for twin room. After insisting and showing her the email confirmation I received from IBIS, she finally responded that they did not have any double room left and no apology was given. A hotel staff does not understand the difference of twin a double room??.. That's the most basic knowledge for hotel operation! We expressed our disappointment and mentioned that we wished that they would have advised us the uncertainty of a double room rather than just a short response confirming that the reservation was OK. We were advised that she could not do anything and that if we wanted, she could probably change our room the next day which we then rejected. We were only staying for 2 nights and had plans for the entire day the next day. There was no point hanging around the hotel waiting for available room and repacking our stuff. Further, my ID was also not returned by the staff until after we were inside the room. Taking into accounts the void of welcome greeting, smile and the above hick-ups that we experienced upon checking-in, we can only conclude on the poor customer service standard and professionalism displayed by the specific Front Desk staff at IBIS World Square (especially if she was a duty manager).

Check-out was efficient and the staff (different staff) displayed standard professionalism and friendliness.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor if you are a light sleeper. Can be noisy at night as it is in central area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for your review.

It is disapointing to read we were not able to accomodate you in a Queen room on your arrival. Iam sorry you did not take the opportunity to move the following day, as you would have been more comfortable.

Thank you for your review.
Guayaquil, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Lets get it straight, you get what you pay for if lucky to find a good rate, rooms are just like in cheap hotels in china (small is the word for everything: bath, bed, room, etc.)DON'T accept the rooms finishing in 1 like 3001 or 4001 since the re next to the utility room and start shooting doors and making heavy noise starting at 7am.

The location is great since you re close to mayor atractions within walking distance.

The street where its located is full of "massage.parlours" (prostitution) so dont get confused unless thats what you re looking for. Also packed with bars and 24h/7 caffes.

The staff looked worn out and little helping with tourists.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luis3333
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Hi,

Thank yuo for your review, I think you have written about the wrong Hotel.

We do not have baths, and we do not have rooms 3001 or 4001.

Sorry.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels