“Reasonable Hotel in Rocks”

Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 9, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Dylan C, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

There are newer reviews for Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Okay, must preface this by saying we got an upgrade. No. Rather, we got THE upgrade - to the Harbour View Suite. And sweet it was. There before you lies Sydney - a glass of wine and delicious cheese on your very own, private deck - gaze out across the heritage of The Rocks to the Bridge; the Contemporary Gallery to arguably one of the world's greatest icons - the Sydney Opera House. As far as opportunities go to truly immerse yourself in a city, then the Harbour Rocks Hotel is your gateway. Don't get me wrong, The Rocks is tourist central and the shopping leaves a great deal to be desired, unless of course tacky ugg boots happen to be your thing. But this is hotel is a stunning secret in low key, high service travel. Nothing is a problem, everything is easy and the barman just happens to knock out the best Old Fashioned I've enjoyed in a very long time.

Big views come at with a big price tag and if a considerable splash out is not on the cards, Studio Suites and Heritage Deluxe Rooms don't disappoint - but don't really bother with the Heritage Rooms - these can be noisy and with non-opening windows, rather airless.

Room Tip: Go high and ask for rooms with a view to the Opera House.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Dylan C, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Such a great review Salbal225!

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience. It really was great to read. We’re glad to hear you were able to enjoy the spectacular views from the Harbour View Suite with a nice glass of wine and a cheese platter. Even better to hear that you were able to back that up with an old fashioned down at our lobby bar! I’m glad our team were able have a positive impact on you during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon Salbal!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

have just spent 4 nights at the HRH and could not have had a better time. Service, facilities, location were first rate. Scarlett restaurant located within the HRH was our best meal in Sydney, despite dining at; the pony , Ananas and a German restaurant in the rocks, all of which were good, but Scarlett pipped them.

• Stayed: July 2014

And we think you rock ‘squashgodfather’! Thanks very much for taking the time to give your 5 star review on your most recent stay with us. We really do appreciate it.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed on two occasions within the month. First room was junior studio suite. Very spacious but very limited cupboard and drawer space for clothing. Second room was again junior studio suite on different section of hotel with plenty of space to hang / place clothing. Lovely rooms. Big soft mattresses. Best sleep ever. Great location in the Rocks. Right near markets on weekend and circular quay and cafés and pubs. Although we arrived early they held us to their 2pm check in which meant walking around Sydney for over 5 hours. We did notice others arriving early and checking in well before 2. Bit annoying but still enjoyed our stay in Sydney.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teamDunit

Hi teamDunit, thanks very much for reviewing your recent stay. It was really pleasing to see you were able to experience a few of our room types. Given that we are a heritage building we have such an extensive range of room designs, certainly adds to the experience! I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion we weren’t able to get you in to your particular room type prior to the 2pm check-in.

Thanks again for your review; I’m really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Something feels a bit provisional about this place. Located in the touristy Rocks area near the quay but hidden away on a side street. The room is oddly furnished, a bit like that spare room at home you never quite finished decorating. The bed is good. The rest unfinished. That includes the breakfast buffet too by the way.

Can I have somewhere to set down my razor and toothbrush? A cupboard for that spare toilet roll? Somewhere to sit comfortably? This is a superior room?

Look I get the boutique idea, but this is just not finished.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Dylan C, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Hi Walter T, thanks very much for your recent review.

Great to hear you loved our location, though was disappointing to hear you found the design of the rooms not to your liking. We do appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience and I’m sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this quirky hotel recently. I really like the position, the history and main entrance and bar area. Web site photos show this.

Staff are very polite and helpful however......I had the experience recently where a senior staff member working at the bar (who was a really nice guy) was engaging a customer on sports, and pulled out his iPad to show the customer something (which you think, OK, fine).

After about 35 minutes however of the 2 of them watching loud youtube clips like I was at a boys/sports club, where:
a) People had difficulty getting this staff members attention to actually be served (e.g. an elderly man had been standing sadly at the bar waiting to be served for about 2 minutes before I needed to interrupt the sports boys club to alert the staff of that)
b) It was so loud I couldn't hear a conversation I was having with someone 2 feet away (I did have to ask twice for it to be turned down, however volume kept creeping up!),

you think, why am I here, I just want to go to my room - which is not the experience you ant in a entrance area of any hotel.

Also, the iron in the room didn't work well - one of those awful ones that leaks water and makes your shirts wet - and some of the bed room lights gave off that annoying buzzing noise when on.

So was this a one off incidence - probably, as I had returned from being their recently and it was ok. Am I being too sensitive? I don't think so as for me it's just not what one expects of a MGallery hotel at any time. If I am wrong, I'll stop using them.

Without that above, a rating of 4, with it, a 2.

Will I go back? I'm now not really that sure!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TheBaron62

Thanks very much for taking the time to review your recent stay TheBaron62.

It was pleasing to see that you really liked the position of our hotel. Was also great to hear you highlight the positive interactions you had with our staff. It was however disappointing to hear that on one of the occasions the discussion of sport between one of our team members and another guest impacted on your time at the bar. I do apologise that this took away from the overall enjoyment on that particular evening.

Also, I’m sorry to hear that the iron wasn’t working as it should. I appreciate you highlighting this to ensure this can be avoided for future guests.

Once again, I appreciate you giving us feedback on this particular stay. We do hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to make up for any shortfalls.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed here for one night during the festival VIVID and was very please. We were upgraded to a room with a view and it was amazing to be able to see the colours of the opera house for our room. Paying a bit more is most definitely worth it for the view.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dylan C, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Thanks so much for your review! I’m really pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to take in the wonderful event that is Vivid!

We hope to see you again soon.