Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #41 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Stay”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Loved this place. The location is amazing. Personally, the Rocks is one of my favorite areas of Sydney and this hotel is about 5 minutes walking distance from Circular Quay. You just can't beat the location. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the hotel room was super clean. The only knock is lack of free breakfast and the internet was only free if you purchased food or drink from the bar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Stamford, CT
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Pros: Location, location, location. This is centrally located in the Rocks and is easy walking distance to Circular Quay bus/railway station as well as the Harbour Bridge, Opera house, and bars/clubs/restaurants. The room was clean. I was on the first floor with a room facing the street. I did not have trouble sleeping due to the noise but I am from a city and used to it.
Cons: for the price of this hotel, internet and breakfast should have been included. The breakfast was $25 per person and I believe the internet was $9.95/day. I didn't use either because of this and frankly that really put me off. Also, the bathroom was weirdly laid out, but this may be because it is a historical property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

A very nice old building, lots of character in the entrance/lobby, was expecting the character to continue into the rooms. However, they were small, dark and musty (despite being told we had received an upgrade to a larger room). The windows don't open so there is no fresh air. Couldn't sleep with the air-con on as it blew directly onto the bed, so endured a hot restless night. There were 2 light globes missing, including the main one in the bathroom. It took 2 requests to get it fixed, and even then the globe they put in only worked intermittently. Was certainly expecting more from this recent addition to the Accor group.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

When we travelled to Sydney last year, we had no idea that choosing The Rocks for location also meant we had selected possibly the single most expensive neighbourhood in Sydney. The Harbour Rocks price point came within our budget and seemed quite economical; perhaps that was what lulled us into thinking the area was affordable (we quickly learned to eat in Chinatown and elsewhere).

The hotel itself was under construction when we arrived, being completely renovated. (Which could explain why it was budget-friendly and affordable, though this was not advertised nor told to us upon making our booking, a courtesy I do believe should have been extended us.) The restaurant was not open, neither was the bar, and the lobby/finishings weren't yet in place. I see from other reviews that has been completed and the reviewers seem happy with the results.

We stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms and were disappointed. It seemed they were trying hard to be/appear upscale boutique but on a budget and kind of missed the mark. Rather like someone trying to look like they shop at expensive boutiques but are patching together a look from Target & outlet stores. It wasn't bad, just a bit disappointing. You could see the original bones - beams, brick walls, etc. - that have been painted and "decorated" but I didn't see it as better. Lost some of its original charm I think. Maybe instead of faux sophisticated they might have tried more eclectic. Just my opinion - definitely no designer.

The room was quite small, not really enough room for two to move around comfortably. The bath was odd - we found it humid almost all the time, even between showers so we kept the door propped open with a suitcase to avoid a musty smell.

The staff were very friendly, what we saw of them as they were all quite preoccupied with the renovation. We did appreciate their having loaner umbrellas as it turned out to be quite a rainy week we spent there.

My husband fell ill during our stay (flu bug) and as there was no room service, I found myself running to the market across the street for soup, juice & supplies which posed an inconvenience. I do hope that has changed since.

All in all, it wasn't our favourite hotel stay. We keep in mind, however, that this neighbourhood "The Rocks" is trendy, upscale and very expensive, therefore The Harbour Rocks Hotel is essentially more of a mid-range budget hotel, so on balance it was quite good value for what it was. Just we were sold something more than what was delivered, hence our initial disappointment. Would we go back and stay there again? Yes - we are budget-conscious and to have any hopes of affording The Rocks neighbourhood, this is one of the few places to stay.

(If you want tips on where to eat within budget when staying in that area, feel free to get in touch. We found a few hidden gems.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
wollongong
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed one night on an overnight work trip to Sydney in early December. Great location in The Rocks area. This hotel has a colourful history in it's prior life, and boasts lots of old world charm with a contemporary twist. The rooms aren't huge but are refurbished and well appointed. My room had a lovely old fire place which I'm sure was just decorative but added to the charm of the hotel. The bathroom was tiny, more like a small en suite with toilet, small shower and wash basin.
I was on the second floor which only had stair access but this wasn't a problem as I only had a small overnight bag with me. There is no onsite parking but the hotel has an arrangement with a parking station across the street.
Staff were friendly and helpful. I selected this hotel because of the competitive price point during a busy period, and I was pleasantly surprised. Disappointing that i wasn't there long enough to really enjoy the atmosphere and location. Hope to visit again when I have more time to appreciate the hotel and location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business