“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at....”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #29 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Seattle (Now)
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at....”
Reviewed September 15, 2007

This has to be the worst hotel in Sydney. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Rooms are tiny and look nothing like the photos on the website. My husband and I tried to have a romantic weekend together there and booked a suite. The suite had horribly old carpet, and a horribly old smell to go with it, and the view was of a brick wall. So we moved - to a higher floor - and it was a shoebox. The pool area was very average. They staff were rude. We checked out after one night and went home. We've stayed at the Westin in Sydney many times before that and many times since and that is by far and away a superior hotel. We have stayed at the FS Los Angeles (South Doheny Drive), FS Maldives at Kuda Huraa, FS Bahamas, FS Jackson Hole, FS Arizona and FS Whistler, and I was shocked at truly how appalling this hotel really was. It is the old Regent Hotel (which it was prior to FS purchasing the property) and it has not been updated since the 80's. I can understand a hotel not being updated, however, this needs to be reflected accurately in photos and the price needs to reflect this also.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank FSTouroftheWorld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
La Mirada, CA
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We spent five wonderful nights in Sydney in August. We frequently stay in Four Seasons Properties because we like the consistant quality. After reading reviews, we booked the FS Sydney. Because we had our son with us we elected to book a junior suite. We heard the regular rooms were not as large as a typical FS room. The suite ended up costing the price of a regular room in other Four Seasons. So I thought the price was fair. Got upgraded to a full harbour view and Opera House view. The room was typical FS quality, plenty spacious. All staff was great. I would highly recommend the FS Sydney. On our return trip to Sydney we spent two nights at the Park Hyatt. Also a wonderful property, but the room was not as large as the junior suite at the FS. The retail price at the Hyatt was more, but I used points so cannot complain. Per other reviews the FS is in a great location, short walk to the rocks and very close to Circular Quay for all types of transportation (bus, train, ferry)

• Liked — great staff and location
  • Disliked — could use interior remodeling, but everything was clean and quality
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank YoMan
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We arrived in Sydney on 15th August to celebrate my husband's birthday the next day. I had arranged for a car to collect us from the hotel and the driver was waiting in arrivals with his Mercedes outside. As we pulled onto the hotel drive we were greeted by Melissa (an assistant manager) who welcomed us both and wished my husband a happy birthday for the next day. Melissa took us straight up to the room and the minimal check in was done there. We had been upgraded to a harbour view suite and the view was stunning, to the left was the harbour bridge and to the right the Opera house. We had only been in the room a short while when room service delivered a birthday cake and a birthday card signed by the hotel manager.

All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is in a great location just by Circular Quay and a very short walk to the Rocks. There is a pool but we did not use it as the weather was just a little to cold in August.

When we got home we found that a small error had been made on our bill. I contacted Four Seasons who passed the request on to the hotel who sorted it in a couple of days and sent me an e-mail to confirm this. I then received an e-mail from the hotel manager apologising for this oversight. It seems that Four Seasons are repared to go that extra mile to ensure that their guests are totally satisfied.

We cannot praise this hotel too highly for their staff, attention to detail and location. We had excellent value for our stay and should we be in Sydney again (which we hope to be) we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Location, comfort, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LynneandSteve
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Just returned from a short break to Australia which included a night at the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney.

The hotel was great from check-in to check-out with one exception (see below).

We were dropped off at the hotel by my Dad. The staff quickly opened all the doors for us, greeted us, took our bags and got us through the doors.

Check-in was smooth, no problems at all and the receptionist kindly handled my request for her to respond to the Emirates transfer service (we were wanting to start shopping and I couldn't be bothered with it and on a side note, fly Emirates Business Class if going trans-Tasman - they are the best and the free BMW 7-Series transfers are a perfect start to a really fantastic airline experience).

Room was fine. A bit on the small side yes, but no where near as big of a deal as some people seem to be raving about on here. We stayed in a full harbour view room which was fine and had nice views from the 22nd floor of the bridge and the Opera House. The bathroom is on the small side, but it has everything you need and room for two people to do what they need to do. The L'Occitane ammenities are great and the towels and bathrobes are too. Shower had good pressure, though water did get out onto the floor. The bed was REALLY comfortable. Room decor is nothing special, but it is of a high standard although a more modern TV would go down a treat.

Food at the hotel was good. Actually I tell a lie. Breakfast was GREAT, room serive not so good. We ordered room service at about 11:00pm and my partner just wanted the pie, salad and chips thing they offer. Anyway, our meals came and the presentation was FANTASTIC. They bring in a nice big table which folds out and is then set up just like you are dining in the restaurant complete with complimentary water, bread and a flowers. My meal was nice, however, my partner's pie was really burnt on the bottom. Sorry, but it is not hard to cook a pie... We complained and a fresh and really tasty pie was brought up to us and no pie appeared on the bill. The room service lady who orginally brought the meal and then replaced it was extreamly polite initially and very apologetic when the replacement came. The other food we ate was breakfast and I haven't got anything to say other than it was the best buffet breakfast I've had at a hotel.

Check-out was okay, but I expected a little more in a Four Seasons. We didn't bother with getting someone to come and get our bags because I feel a little lazy / pompous when I phone up and say, "Can you send someone to get my crappy luggage?" However, I do expect the concierge at 7:00am to act when the three of them are not busy at all and they see two people walk out of the elevators with three bags each. So anyway we bundled across to the counter and payed the bill with no problems. Still no one had come to ask if we wanted help with our bags. We told the receptionist that we were waiting for a car to come and fetch us for the airport. He didn't even offer to have someone put our bags aside until the car arrived. So we carried them off to concierge and just dumped them beside the counter and told them we were waiting on a car. They just nodded. The car came, the bags were loaded and we were wished a safe trip home by three smiling men.

We also used the pool and the spa. The pool is nice. Sure it is beside an expressway, but that didn't bother us. The spa was okay. The pool area actually could do with refurbishing and instead of having a spa that flows into the pool they should seperate it. I've always found those spas rather useless. The hotel's health spa was good with great service and fantastic staff who knew how to take away any stress, aches and pains. I really enjoyed their Four Seasons Signature Treatment (I think that is what it was called).

The location of the hotel is unbeatable DEPENDING on what you are in Sydney for. The Rocks area is really nice and the hotel is right by the hustle and bustle of Circular Quay. Transport is no issue either. There are plently of GREAT restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel, in fact, most of Sydney's best are within a few minutes walk. There are also a tonne of great bars if you want to hit the town or just go for a nice drink (we went up to The Establishment Bar and also found a really flash place tucked away in The Rocks build in a renovated warehouse with uber-modern bathrooms - it was really cool). Shopping wise, there is a Gucci store down the road (not that great of a selection mind you) and there is the DFS Galleria next door with Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Ferragano, etc., etc.. If you are in Sydney to purely shop, you might want to consider one of the five-star hotel's closer to Martin Place / Castlereagh Street where you'll find all the brand's Australian flagship stores (Gucci, Prada, Lous Vuitton, Burberry, etc..). It's also more handy up that way to Pitt St mall for cheaper shops and also the Queen Victoria Building for mid-range stores. If you are fit it is easy to walk from the Four Seasons to the main shopping area of Sydney, but if you don't want to pavement pound and don't like relying on hotel transport, taxis, buses or trains, something closer to mid-George Street / Pitt Street / Martin Place might be better for you.

All up it was a really great stay despite some minor service issues. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Four Seasons again. The managment just needs to get their staff up to a consistent standard to make it not great, but perfect.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable, breakfast was awesome, location is fantastic
  • Disliked — They burnt a meat pie. How do you manage that?! Service could do with a little fine tuning.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AshRich
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I had nowhere else to go from my office's preferred supplier list so had to move hotels into the Four Seasons.

Service at front desk was good and very friendly. Nice lobby and public areas (piped muzak can get a bit irritating though).

Room was the tiniest I have ever been in but not unpleasant. Furniture OK. There was no view (to be expected as I was on a corporate rate).

Bed comfy and super clean linens, surfaces, bathroom etc - no dust or dirt anywhere. Breakfast buffet looked fine from what I saw - I had porridge and it was fine.

Data connections bit archaic - fee payable for internet access (take your wireless card! - although if you do, bear in mind this may be a bit flaky if you are in a room on a high floor - the wireless is a bit unpredictable in the city on high rise floors)

Excellent shower and great toiletries in the rooms - L'Occitane. Turn down service ok. No iron or ironing board in room which I found a bit surprising.

On the whole - nothing offputting but just average stay - to be fair my room was very good value for short notice in Sydney and in such a central location at AUD210 per night.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room layout and poor data connections
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank OzOlive
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Booked directly with the Four Seasons quite some months before going- got 4 nights for the price of 3 which according to the receptionist was excellent value.

Had a fabulous time there- lovely room with plently of space- all the staff were very helpful, polite and friendly.

Ate at the cafe restaurant on the 2nd floor once- food good and prices fine. Also had room service- quick and again, reasonable.

Spa was excellennt- good treatments and pleasant staff. Fitness area also good- made use of the outdoor spa every night- was dark but heated so that was fine.

Had a great stay- recommend it to all- great location too.

• Liked — location, great room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lesleyc
Northumberland, UK
Reviewed June 13, 2007

We used the hotel as a base for our holiday in Australia so stayed there three seprate times over a three week spell. The rooms are small, so book a suite if you like a bit of space. The website photos do tell the truth - there is just the one armchair in a standard room. The views are good, but stay high up to reduce the traffic noise.
Breakfast is good and breakfast staff are brilliant, but plan your trips to the toaster. The bar is still a bit smokey and receptionists can be a bit offhand.
However, we were very comfortable here; the bellhops were marvellous, housekeeping were prompt and efficient, the bar staff were great and the location is excellent for access to Circular Quay and the Rocks (and also for buses to Newtown for economy dining).
We had just stayed at the Shangri-La in Singapore, so it was a bit of a come-down to stay here. I might consider staying elsewhere next time, just to get a bit more space for a reasonable price.

• Liked — The bellhops
  • Disliked — The small room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple