“Only for the Rocks”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #34 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Had the Opera View room for 2 nights, paying around $20 more to upgrade from the city view rooms. However, I would say it is rather disappointing. Half the window was blocked by the wall protruding on the left, towards the harbour. You could only see the Opera House when you sit at the writing desk by the window. As we were on the 9th floor, we are directly opposite offices. Having spent days in the suburbs in Blue Mountain, Jervis Bay etc, it's hard not to notice the sound of the city. With traffic right at your doorstep, the sirens, and vrooming of cars, is less than desirable.

But I have to say, I loved the king-sized bed which is soft and cushy. The huge Samsung TV. The Loccitane bath goodies. Lots of Sports channels, CNN, BBC.. i guess it's more a hotel for business MALE travellers.

The location is great if you want to spend your time at The Rocks. It's within 10 min stroll to the Circular Quay Station and Ferry Terminal. However, if you want to shop along George/ Pitt Street/ Chinatown, it is quite a walk across the business district before you reach the retail area. But the weekend market at The Rocks is amazing, and that's just 5 minutes away. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,213)

Reviewed August 16, 2009

I have stayed at several Four Seasons hotels, and I have to agree with other reviewers that this one is not quite up to the normal Four Seasons standard. But having said that, I loved staying there for a week this month. I was there on business. The service was great, the location just can't be beat, and the spa/fitness center is great. The rooms are small and the bathroom very tiny, but all in all I loved it.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

The last hotel we stayed.. See my other reviews on Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour (disappointing) and The Westin Sydney (really good stay) which were all part of the same trip.

We arrived about 1pm. Check-in took slightly longer because we were prepared to wait for an additional 15min for a room on the 30th floor with Opera House view. Worth the wait. We also paid to upgrade to Club Floor access. Standard rate of AUD135 per room/night was reduced to AUD85 because of a short winter promotion. And we also got another AUD100 in credit which we used to offset the upgrade. So all the promotions made this a very reasonable stay.

The bed was very very soft but comfortable enough. The only problem was waking up at 1:30 in the morning because the pillows gave me a neckache. Concierge promptly sent foam pillows but I still had problems sleeping. All I could think of was Westin Sydney’s pillows and bed. But the next morning, I called housekeeping and they promptly sent another pair of pillows, this time they were made of latex. THAT made all the difference. Finally, I could look forward to a proper night’s sleep!

The room is much smaller than the Westin’s but it was also more cozy. Loved the interiors design and we had a lovely view of the Opera House. The FS provides travel adapters etc but not much toiletries. No toothbrush, toothpaste, bedroom slippers etc. I guess you could call housekeeping for them but we brought our own. The toilet was half the size of Westin’s but good enough. The shower was great. Separate bathtub. I was only worried that the hairdryer would fall off the shelf and into the toilet bowl. The hairdryer wasn’t that heavy and pretty powerful. The housekeeper was happy to change the bathrobe each day, unlike Westin’s.

The concierge was very precise. I asked how much it cost for a taxi ride to Westfield Bondi Junction and they said AUD20-21. I actually paid AUD20.30. So I decided to take the bus the next day and bring my hubby there.

The Club Lounge was terrific. The staff and their high level of service must be commended. The cocktail hour 5pm-8pm daily had very limited but very good quality food. The drinks, including liquor, were all self serve so you mix and match as you wished. The soup of the day, kept warm in a thermos flask, was smooth and rich. The mini cheesecakes and tarts were delicious. 6:30am to 10:30am each day, the limited breakfast was great. The sugar powdered pancakes were soft in the middle and thick and crispy at the edges. Eggs were cooked to order and there were bacon, sausages, baked beans, cheeses, smoked salmon etc. I had pink guava juice every day.

Location of hotel: Superb.
The Rocks and Rocks Market is only 5min walk away and you must eat at Wolfie’s at the Village near the Rocks. Really good steaks and sauces.
We walked 5min to the bus information counter in front of McDonald’s opposite Circular Quay. This newsstand-like counter gave us helpful info and we walked across the road to Stand E where we boarded the express bus 333 to Westfield Bondi Junction (you must go there, probably biggest mall in Sydney) and also to Bondi Beach. The limited stops made the trip faster and costs about AUD3.20 one-way.

I had considered staying at the Shangri-la instead of FS but each day, looking down from the 32nd floor window of the Club Lounge made me thankful that I need not walk up all those steps to get to the Shang. Yup, we’re really glad we chose the FS instead. We both really enjoyed the Club Lounge and its really good breakfast and also the convenient location to Circular Quay.

1  Thank Mei_C
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Great location and views of Sydney opera house and harbour, rooms small and bathrooms tiny. Step out and you are in the heart of the city, lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Wonderful room with Opera House view. Excellent food especially the evening meals (relatively new chef who has been getting positive reviews in Sydney papers); great buffet breakfast. The service at the hotel was excellent. The location was outstanding for touring (near Circular Quay).
Great concierge service. Would definitely go back when in Sydney the next time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WillMyWifeGetSick
Reviewed August 2, 2009

At the time of writing this review, I stay at this hotel 3-4 days a week, and almost every visit my service expectations are exceeded. Every staff member is simply committed to great service, it's actually quite embarrassing, as a regular guest, just how good they are.

Since the refurbishment completed (late 2008) the old beauty is back to perfection. 42" LCD TVs, outstanding king size beds, l'occitane amenities, uber-fast internet and depending on your room - Some of the best views on offer of both the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

The gym is great with 4 or 5 quality treadmills, ample bikes, rowers, weight machines and a stack of free weights. The pool is handy in summer, whilst heated, it can be a bit chilly on the deck in winter. The day spa is recognised in Sydney as one of the best.

The only weakness I would call out is the lack of a quality bar and narrow restaurant choice. But to be perfectly honest, hotel bars are generally full of the boring types and being located at Circular Quay near The Rocks, there is no shortage of local watering holes and dining preferences.

For business:
Great location right on George Street, well appointed to get work done when you need to in your room with fast web, good quality desk and chair.

For pleasure:
Perfect location for Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Also located directly opposite Circular Quay ferry station, where you can take a ferry to Manly and other tourist destinations.

The Four Seasons Sydney is simply an exceptional hotel. As with all of my reviews, please contact me if you have any questions.

1  Thank Monty H
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We are a regular visitor to Sydney four season bars and Restaurant and always loved the atmosphere and the service so decided to stay at the hotel for our wedding anniversary. From the beautiful lobby and great bar and Restaurant could not imagine such rooms !!
The room are tired and not what you expect from a 5 star hotel, the furnishing of the room was very old looking, this hotel is in the serious need of refurbishing, we were so disappointed, the price we paid did not match the quality of the room. However the L’Occitane products in Room were greatly appreciated. The breakfast Buffet was really good and could find anything you desired and staff are Attentive.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple