“Wonderful place to watch New Years Fireworks”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #30 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have stayed at several Four Seasons in the US and this was my first in a foreign country. I booked well in advance to see the fireworks and they do want their money up front. We reserved a room that guarantees view to fireworks and it did not disappoint. Well, the room did, but not the view. Firstly the rate more than doubled as New Years Eve approached but even the 495.00 regular rate I thought was high for the quality. I would only put its worth at perhaps 265.00 as room was small and furnishings need to be refurbished and updated a bit. Staff was wonderful and the in house restaurant was very good. Oh and the rate did include buffet breakfast. It is located perfectly for Quay and Opera House so that was a plus as well. All in all I would recommend it, given all the facts above.

Room Tip: We were on about the 12th floor which was even with the lower bridge level of fireworks
1  Thank yellowrosetexas3

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The only thing that keeps this place full is the Four Seasons name. And that is not a compliment.

It is by far the worst Four Seasons that I have been to anywhere in the world and I've stayed in at least 10.

The rooms are small, shabby and they can't even get things like having the stationery folder stocked properly right.

This hotel is not bad in an unwashed-bedsheets or rats-in-the-room kind of way, but this is supposed to be a FOUR SEASONS and guests have the right to expect excellence. What you get is something that can't even compare with the Hilton literally down the road.

If anyone from Four Seasons global is reading this, strip your name off this property immediately. It is an embarrassment and highly damaging to your brand in a global city like Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SheldyC
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Sheldy C,

We are very sorry your stay with us was so disappointing and we did not create an exceptional experience for you.

We take guest satisfaction very seriously, and I would be most grateful to go through all the feedback you have provided personally. You can contact me directly at david.macklin@fourseasons.com.

I again extend to you my sincerest apologies for this disappointing experience and I do look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards
David Macklin
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I love the Four Seasons. And it pains me to report that this property is such a far cry from anything even remotely 'Four Seasons'. It is tired, dusty, rank and depressing. I was in Sydney after more than 10 years and few all the way from NY for a business meeting. I really wanted to arrive at a Four Seasons property after a 25 hour flight but instead, I arrived at this shoddy establishment. I can go on about this but here are some of my pet peeves : Small/ dusty rooms with smelly carpet. They sent a de odorizer to my room that looked like it belonged to the Flintstones. The bathrooms are small. The towels are worn out. The pool service is practically non existent. The room service is abysmal. The concierge is very helpful. That's about it. They charge like the Four Seasons but they do not deliver. I am returning to Sydney and will be staying at the Shangri la next time. So much better.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank truthserum26
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed at the Four Seasons Sydney for a week over New Years. The hotel is average for a big hotel chain and below average for a Four Seasons.

The location of the hotel is by far the best part. Its right on the edge of Circular Quay and The Rocks so you can easily access both areas within seconds or minutes. Very convenient for all the walking and sightseeing you want to do in Sydney. Really cannot beat the location.

Our room was on the Executive Club level and was pretty tiny. There was a funky odor as soon as you walked in the room - kind of musky. The bathroom was small and the shower had some mold and was over caulked in a few spots. Also had a drain just below the sink that was incredibly loud. The bed seemed to sink in on one side while the other was fine.The wi-fi constantly went in and out and we had to relog-in about every 30 minutes.

The breakfast buffet is fine. The food is pretty good but was a mad house during New Years week with all the people. The service at breakfast was so-so. We ordered room service one night and it took 45 minutes to get ice cream!! We also called once we were finished for our tray to be removed. No one came for the tray that night, or the next morning, or after lunch the following day. It wasn't removed until we returned to freshen up for dinner!

The pool area is tiny for such a huge hotel. They should really work on renovating it and adding another pool if they can't make the current one larger. And, why in the world do they not have a rooftop bar or pool? The higher floor rooms have such great views of the Harbour so put a rooftop pool or bar up there so guests can enjoy the views!!

We were in touch with the concierge several times in the weeks (and months) leading up to NYE to find out what the hotel might be offering in terms of NYE restaurant and room service deals, what their advice was for watching the fireworks, restaurants suggestions, etc. No one ever really answered us - just kept passing us off to someone else because the previous person was going on holiday! We never did really get any sound advice from them. They didn't seem to care either. We were told all the restaurants and room service would be operating on their normal schedules. Once we were there we learned that wasn't the case…we've done NYE in several major cities around the world so we just wanted to be prepared and figure out our game plan in advance of arrival. For NYE the conceirge just kept suggesting that the two of us charter a boat for $10,000 or more for the night. If we had a few friends to come along with us that would have been fine but $10k for two people - sorry, we are well off but not about to waste that much money for a few hours of fireworks. Get real, Four Seasons. They also told us they personally thought any public vantage point was a bad idea and they never recommend going that route to any of their guests.

One of the restaurants the hotel recommend was Wolfies. That place is terrible. Sure, its on the water and the view is nice but the food is awful and the service is embarrassing. I can't believe the hotel would even suggest such a tourist trap.

Overall our stay was fine. Nothing awful about it but definitely not anything wonderful about it. This Four Seasons needs a make-over on all levels. If you can get a good rate and don't expect the standard Four Seasons then you'll be satisfied with an average hotel stay and great location. If you can't get a good rate then spend your money elsewhere!

Room Tip: Get a room with a Harbour View or its not worth your money at all!
1  Thank AR407145
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Location was good but otherwise a huge disappointment. Even though our room had a good view, it was fairly worthless since the windows were so dirty. I was so repulsed by the filthy
condition of the water in the hot tub I did not get in. My kids did and I regret it. I'm sure it was very unhealthy. The pool amenities closed at 6 just as we were to enjoy it and the restaurant is closed on Sunday nights. The point of having a hotel like 4 Seasons is that there is ALWAYS a
restaurant open in the hotel if you don't want to go out. NOT HERE. We moved here from the Marriott for a better experience, but it was a waste of time. My daughter and I tried repeatedly to use our room keys to get into fitness facility to no avail until we called for help. Room service is good which is important here if you are there on Sunday and like eating in your room.NOT.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank nikatravel59
Reviewed January 7, 2014

A great brand that shouldn't have bothered operating this dated hotel.

You can certainly get better value for you money in Sydney although the location was OK. My husband and I got a great rate but I certainly wouldn't want to stay here at full rate. Service just reasonable but certainly nothing special filled with staff who didn't go the extra mile to make us feel welcome. Rooms in need of a refurbishment. Probably wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Fantastic views of the harbour, bridge and opera house. Great central location on Circular Quay and The Rocks. Close to great shopping too. Hotel was attractive and staff helpful on the whole. 3 nights was a treat but the room rather small for a longer visit.

Room Tip: Worth paying xtra for a view but room still rather small.