“style with substance”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #30 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Checked-in for overnight stay. given a disabled queen bed standard room as hotel fully booked. Reception desk staff efficient and polite as expected. Complimentary late check-out provided automatically.

Door automatically opens - but cannot be closed manually (and remains open for a good minute or so, leaving the entire room open). Mysterious poltergeist opened the door a few minutes after settling in - worked out likely one of the housekeeping staff on a quick scan of the hallway. Facilities clean and tidy. Marble bathroom tabletop welcome, and faux marble tiles complete the look. Room certainly disabled-friendly, with low firm bed, shower chair and completely flat layout. However, toilet flush unusually difficult to press, requiring a very firm push to flow. Shower head in this particular room a mis-matching cream plastic to the metal fittings (perhaps replacing a previously broken one).

Personally, bed was slightly firm for my taste. Pillows all soft, head sinking deep. Swivel chair and footstool in the room was a welcome resting spot while reading. TV large but missing a few key (cable channels), but all digital television channels available and clear. Shower water pressure remarkably low - perhaps to avoid spraying the entire bathroom, but a dissatisfying warm shower in such cold weather. No bath in disabled room (as expected).

Doorman at night impolite and brusque when inquiring regarding whereabouts of taxi rank. Morning doorman opposite. Check-out efficient. Overall a pleasant stay, but does not live up to expectations in this particular room. Old-school charm with standard facilities, lacking something special.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I spent the night of our wedding at The Four Seasons. I do not know where to start with the praises I have for the hotel staff and the hotel itself.

We arrived at 1am and our bags were taken immediately, the hotel staff were so friendly, and being so tired they were very accomodating. Offering to help in any way possible and making the transition from the car to my room very quick.

As I walked into my room, it almost seemed as though it was made for me and my husband.

- Room has chocolates with our name written in chocolate
- The TV had "Welcome Mr & Mrs (Our Surname)
- The room was spacious
- The view is beautiful
- Bathroom was big and very clean
- FOOD WAS AMAZING!! Their sweet potatoe wedges are amazing!
- Room service was spectacular! Within half an hour
- All the staff were so friendly. But not fake friendly, really really friendlly!!!
- Valet parking was prompt
- VIEW WAS SPECTACULAR!

I honestly felt like a queen staying at the Four Seasons and since I have stayed at other hotels, and they do not even come CLOSE to what The Four Seasons offer!

Honesly i cannot fault them. Definately worth the money and all the desserts and food they had a complimentary gifts were so delicious! And I am a fussy eater :)

Would recommend it!! WOULD GO THERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: Grand Premier Full Harbour-View Room is the room we had! It is amazing!!!!!!!! We had a view both of...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed 1 night ( company paid ) and room was fine, breakfast was good but to not offer free WIFI in the rooms in this day and age seems a little cheap - certainly not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.. Also no free bottled water in the room so after big night not good .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. Never again! Overall it was a very poor experience

Negatives

- I had to ask to be moved from my original room due to the overpowering stench of wet carpet or chemical cleaners. It was eye watering. The new room wasn't much better. Revolting.
- The room was TINY. Seriously the smallest room I have ever stayed in.
- The bed was so saggy it was shaped in a V! It was also so squeaky that everytime you moved it squeaked and creaked. I have never experienced such a bad bed in a 'five star' hotel.
- I ordered baby chicken and a side of rice for dinner using room service. The chicken was burnt and inedible. At $50 for two little pieces of chicken and a side of rice, this is unacceptable.
- The room needed a good deep clean. Most of the surfaces were dusty and I need of a good wipe down.
- The worst experience ever to retrive my car from the car park. I started calling at 5.15am to have my car bought up and the line was either engaged or rang out. I went downstairs at 5.45am to hand over my car parking ticket. It still took them HALF AN HOUR to find and bring my car up. I asked to speak to the manager who was incredibly rude and brushed me aside. Finally I got my car at 6.10, making it nearly a full hour after. I was late to the airport to collect my partner because of this crazy delay. Later, upon check out, the manager said that her staff had informed her that they were really busy when I came down. I promptly informed her this was a lie as I was one of only two guests in the lobby at 5.45 in the morning! Fail Four Seasons!!

Positives
- The buffet breakfast was excellent and the other service personnel in the hotel were lovely
- If you have a Platinum AMEX you can receive Fine Hotels and Rewards benefits at this hotel including a food and beverage voucher, late check out and a room upgrade. If it wasn't for this voucher to cover the revolting dinner, I would have compalined further.
- The hotel is very well located on George Street and close to the harbour for a walk around.

I will not return. This is not a true five star experience and Sydney had much better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jrs84
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Awesome location and nice rooms. I agree with others that this is a little less extraordinary than some of the others Four Seasons, but it's still really nice and the service was good. And did I mention the location? If this is your first trip to Sydney and you want to see all the right stuff, stay here. There are some real good deals to be found for this hotel online as well.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was my 3rd and 4th stay and it didn’t disappoint!

Good points:
Still the most comfy bed ever
The location - opening your curtains to see the famous Sydney view is why you came! PLus being able to be at the Quay in seconds is brilliant.
The staff are incredible. I had reason to speak much more to them this time and was impressed at their care, thoughtfulness and efficiency, especially the concierge and door team.
Free use of computers in the foyer

Bad points:
As I remarked before, the rooms are small - still perfect for one though. I hadn’t noticed before but they seemed a lot darker than I remember and very odd placing of mirrors that aren’t of any use, something to consider at the next refirb.
The spa opening times were more like office opening hours than a hotel. Meant I couldn’t go.
Paying for wifi

Overall: If you want to know you are in Sydney and stay somewhere special, then this is the hotel for you. If you are trying to choose between here and the Shangri la then I would opt for here every time. Yes, the rooms are bigger at the Shangri la and they do have free wifi but being able to walk out your door onto George Street and not down a steep hill is worth the swap! However if you just want a base to explore Sydney from and are not fussed about where you sleep then save your pennies and stay somewhere cheaper than either. But I cannot stay anywhere else in Sydney now, it makes the holiday that much more special.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding last year, booked for 2 nights, just alone, and well, I ended up booking an extra night, this was HEAVEN. The bed - comfiest in my life, the curtains completely black out the room, the gym is well equipped, the staff are wonderful, the breakfast buffet is beautiful, the room service was awesome, honestly it's very very good!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo