“Location! Location! Location!”

Ranked #29 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
New Vernon, New Jersey
“Location! Location! Location!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons in Sydney as part of a business/incentive travel group. The hotel worked closely with our travel guides to make check in/out seamless. Our bags were delivered to our rooms and picked up for check out efficiently.
For a panoramic harbor/ bridge/ opera house view stay on floor 15 or higher and any room between 10-17 will afford a breathtaking vista that never gets old. The rooms/ bathrooms are standard city sized (not too big), but the bed is super comfortable and the L'Occitane product indulgent and appreciated.
The breakfast buffet was included for our group and was varied and excellent. The bran muffins were so yummy!
Lets get back to location. You couldn't ask for a location more centrally located. We were within walking distance to all the highlights so this minimized the need for costly cabs.
Service was excellent and our time in Sydney was well spent at the Four Seasons.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Auntbunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
alabama
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had the best service experience of our trip here. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. We got lucky and were able to check in early, which was really nice after being on a plane for hours from the US. We had a great view of the Opera House from our window. The room is small, in keeping with a typical European hotel room. It was clean though. There are computers in the business center that are free to use.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is not what I expect from The Four Seasons. Service is terrible at best. Concierge didn't even know only restaurant in hotel was closed for lunch on the weekend really ? Small suites etc. Upon arrival after traveling 15 hrs we were kept awake by constant drilling noise. It continued each morning. Upon complaining We were told by management "there's no good time to perform work in a hotel". How about afternoon not 8am in the morning !! This hotel needs an attitude adjustment. Great location terrible staff. Not impressed with the dining either. Food sub par limited selections

I won't be staying here again !

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Worldtravel67
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us this important feedback about your stay.
I would like to know more details about these areas that we did not meet your expectations as our goal is to always impress our guests with insightful information from our Concierge, wonderful food selections and friendly staff.
Please feel free to contact me directly on david.macklin@fourseasons.com as we are passionate to improve all areas that are not meeting our high standards.

kind regards
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had two nights in Sydney at the end of our Australian trip and thought we would try here having previously stayed at the Shangri La, Intercon, Westin, and Stamford.

Check-in was fine and we were keen to upgrade the room. We booked a City/Harbour view and as our complimentary upgrade did not come through we asked to pay. We could not get Executive Club as BMW had booked the lounge for the week! We were also told there were no other rooms available.

So we went to the room and I had been warned that hey were small, and they are!! Shoebox and these rooms are not cheap. We went back downstairs and after some haggling we were shown a suite which we took at a cost.

So we had a two bedroom suite with city views which was much more comfortable. The bathroom was a decent size but had only one sink which is unusual these days. Furnishings were comfortable and in current hotel style.

We had dinner in the restuarant and surprisingly there is only one in this five star hotel. The maitre d' was superb and understand she is married ot the chef. Irrespective it was the finest service and the best part of our stay.

Breakfast is also a very nice spread and well worth it. Ours was included nad we enjoyed it each morning. Very good freshly made coffee too.

Probably won't rush back as it is expensive for what you get and it trades very much on its name. Worth a visit to the restuarant though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really don't get some of the nit-picking reviews about this hotel. As someone who's used other Four Seasons hotels, I went almost expecting it to be like a Travelodge based on some descriptions - whereas actually it's a terrific place to stay with huge plus points. One of them is it's less stuck-up and pompous than some of the other properties in the brand. And yes, it's not absolutely 2013 in its appearance - but it seems to be being modernised sensitively while keeping its basic comforts.

I thought the room was delightful, though it was one of the larger Premier rooms. Every facility you could want, and great housekeeping. I also saw a harbour/city view room which had an excellent view of the Opera House. I hadn't a single bad experience with lifts/elevators in 6 nights' stay, though maybe that's because they were all in operation. I managed without the remotest problem to sleep through the occasional Tooting Train that bothers some people. (Er, this is a city hotel.) And wi-fi is free and fast in reception.

Staff: generally charming and informal. Excellent check-in/check-out service. Breakfast: expensive if not included in the rate but very good indeed, with lots of choice. My only real negative would be that dinner in The Woods was average both in menu and food, and you can certainly do better a few yards outside the hotel.

But the location and the overall quality of the hotel are really top-notch, and I'd certainly stay there again if I revisited Sydney.

Room Tip: Premier rooms are worth it. Harbour/city views are good, especially from higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

As a birthday treat fro myself I decided to stay at the Four Seasons overnight after a performance at the Opera House. I made my choice based on price as Saturday night in Sydney is always prime and this was the cheapest of my preferred options. The outdoor pool was a big seller as I had planned to laze around for a few hours (pity it was the first weekend Sydney dropped below 20c this year)

Check In: Arrived at 3.45 and made to feel welcome at reception, although it was interesting that none of the porters acknowledged my arrival and offered to take my bag. It took quite a while for the young lady to allocate me a room as she was looking for one that was ready (45 mins after check in time...really?) I was welcomed back, and it was mentioned it was some time since I had stayed. (yes because last time was for an anniversary and you didn't acknowledge it, and the service was very ordinary, didn't change towels at turn down etc). Directed to the lifts.

Room 611, partial harbour view. Yep Partial, including full view of Cahill expressway and the Spa/Jacuzzi. Please note, don't play naughty the spa, you are being watched! The Opera House was in full shot though, so not bad considering. Bathroom..OH dear.. please, the bath is too high to have a shower inside, I really struggled climbing in and out and full splits over the edge of the bath is not a pretty sight. Water pools in the bottom of the tub so you are almost ankle deep, water pressure was fine but temperature was ordinary, I used only the hot tap, no cold. No Iphone dock, and as mentioned limited toiletries. Bed was OK but it was obviously a zipper twin, not an issue for me.

Facilities: The pool is lovely, much better than the neighbours, but as the weather was glum I never got to use it this visit

Bar and Dining: We ate out at Sake. I had time to kill, so decided to grab a cocktail in the bar before heading off. I sat for 15 minutes before my order was taken (is this the norm in hotel bars if you are a lone female?? I was there the week before with 2 others and we were served straight away) and by this time it was getting tight as to whether I would be able to finish my drink. Thankfully it was pushed through and tasted quite good
Breakfast: I was umming and ahhing as it wasn't in the room package, GD came into join me so we ate in The Woods. Great selection, a la carte is pretty even pricing with buffet, so buffet I went. I was really only after a benedict,juice and coffee, and I only do one muffin/egg. Unfortunately benny's are only on the a la carte. SAVED: Chef poached me an egg and gave me the sauce to self construct. Coffee was good and an excellent fruit selection.Ended up being naughty with a waffle. I think Cafe Mix in the Shang has a bigger selection but The Woods is a nicer atmosphere. I love the big communal table for single diners. Fantastic service!

Celebration: Tick, nice little cake and they provided a box for me to transport it home.

Overall: Hard call, location and service in the hotel in general better than the neighbour. Rooms, if this is important then probably not the right place for you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thornbury
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Check in was a bit clumsy, but service and housekeeping were excellent. Food during the conference was excellent, with healthy choices available.

I think it would be appropriate for guests to be able to opt out of "bed turn-down service" at check in. I always have my laptop and ipad on the bed when the maids knock on the door at night. Bed turn-down service is a quaint tradition, but I'm not the type.

Breakfast is great, but espressos take way too long to come to table during morning rush hour because there is only one person on the machine doing both shots and milk. Put two people on the machine during breakfast rush hour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business