“expensive and little to go with it”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #28 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
california
“expensive and little to go with it”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our "city view" room was a view of another building. The room was so small, we could barely move around. Very expensive. Of course they were willing to upgrade for a huge fee. It was hit and miss with the concierges - they would bend over backwards to help us and then the next time act like we were imposing on their computer time. Hotel lobby is nice. Fitness center was very hot. Didn't eat at the hotel - too expensive. Location is great - right by the wharf.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dlpa2000
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your candid comments. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with the room size. As you menetioned, we do have other room catergories and I will make sure we suggest these otehr options on you next visit.
Thank you for you feedback about our concierge adn also the dining facilities.
If you come back to Sydney, please feel free to contact me directly so that I can make sure you have a wonderful experience.

Sincerely
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
david.macklin@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bombay
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Prominent location overlooking the Harbour. Just a short walk to the opera house (check out the Aborigines and their didgeridoo''s on the way). The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff very courteous. Enjoyed our time here...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in a King Room overlooking Darling Harbour. A beautiful outlook. Very clean and comfortable. Receptionist and Concierge welcomed us. No hassle check-in. Hotel is very central to all the major shopping centres in the heart of the city and a lovely walk over the cross bridge to Darling Harbor restaurants. Very pleased with the cost per night as compared to other hotel prices. I have stayed at other hotels within the city that were much dearer in the cost and there is no difference in the way we were treated, the rooms were clean and tidy. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Harbour for a few dollars more... it is spectacular!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had just arrived from a long overnight flight and fronted up at this hotel to check in at 7.30am fully eating to be told our room wasn't ready but it was and we spent all of 2 minutes between checking in and ending up in our lovely room overlooking the opera house.
While the rooms are or enormous (we had just stayed at the upper house in Hong kong which is the size of a house) they were very comfortable, amazing bed, free wifi and lovely occitane toiletries.
Two highlights: the gym which is fantastic and the cocktail bar (Grain?) located next to the hotel.
This is a lovely hotel in a brilliant location only moments from the rocks, ferry terminal, trail station and opera house. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Desert, Maine
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's a very expensive hotel, but didn't live up to our expectations. Our view was hidden by the hotel in front of us (you might try staying there instead!) - the Shangri La. Or right on the water is Park Hyatt Sydney - the location doesn't get any better than that.
Unfortunately we arrived at 10am on January 2 at the FS and it was a zoo. No room available and although they let us in, the buffet was closing down. Not much to choose from. The room was smaller than expected and we overlooked a highway. Very disappointing. The concierge and bell people were great but we couldn't rely on the front desk staff to let us know when the room would be ready so we kept checking back with them. I think we got in to the room two hours after arrival. It's a busy time of year for sure, but with the lack of views and inability to get in a room after 24 hours of travel, we were cranky.

Room Tip: if you want to see the harbor, make sure it's not an obstructed view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a regular hotel, with small rooms, mediocre food and a four seasons price tag.
The staff is nice and well trained and the location is good, but unless you have a hole burning in your pocket and want to over pay for what you are getting, stay elsewhere. I was really disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ibrahim A
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Ibrahim

Thank you for you comments about our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this stay.
I am glad to read that you felt the staff were nice and well trained however I am disappointed that the hotel's rooms and food was not to your liking.
Please feel free to email me directly with any specific feedback as we continually strive to improve our hotel and to provide a wonderful experience to our guests.
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Four Seasons for a week at the end of October (this review is long overdue). The property isn't my usual style. I tend to choose boutique luxury properties, rather than stay in large chains. I went with the Four Seasons this time because the location absolutely cannot be beat. It sits at the entrance to The Rocks on the corner of Circle Quay. I paid extra and had an opera house view. The view was worth every penny. I spent way too much time, staring out the window, watching the ferries come and go.

The room itself was a decent size (though not overlarge) and well-presented. So what was the problem? A few different things--

Construction was going on during my stay. This meant tarps draped over lobby walls, traffic patterns rerouted and restaurants closed. It also meant drilling pounding through the walls of the spa during my treatments. The hotel's architecture is dated, so I understand the need for the facelift. But I saw no effort made on the part of management to compensate the guests for this inconvenience.

Speaking of the spa--if you read through my reviews, you see I'm a bit of a spa junkie. I'm a former massage therapist with back issues, so I will almost always take advantage of spa facilities if given the opportunity. I had two massages here. My therapist was superb. But the massage beds were absurdly narrow. I didn't realize it at first, but my initial appointment took place on what was the spa's largest bed. That was bad. During my second appointment, I had to tuck my hands under my hips so I could keep my arms on the table--if I'd known that would be the case, I wouldn't have booked the appointment, no matter how good my therapist was. I said something to her about the problem and she apologized profusely and begged me to say something to the management. She said she and her manager had approached senior management more than once to see if new equipment could be purchased, but had seen no changes. She also told me she got this feedback all the time, and that just that afternoon she'd had a client who'd booked three hours of treatments give up an hour in, saying she was just too uncomfortable to continue. It was absurd.

The weekend I stayed, the hotel had an odd kind of bridal show going on (I say odd because there were exhibitors selling bridal accessories, but there were also people selling products like bookmarks and slippers). The event took place in the atrium, which made the lobby of the hotel noisy and overcrowded, and which caused the one hotel restaurant to close for breakfast an hour early both Saturday and Sunday. I paid a bed and breakfast rate through Booking.com, so I wanted to take advantage of the meal. But, like a lot of other guests, I didn't want to get up at dawn while on my vacation. So I, like apparently half the hotel, I came down at nine, with one hour left of service. The restaurant was caught absolutely flat-footed--the breakfast buffet was half empty, no one was at the door to seat people (there was literally a line a dozen people deep), tables were dirty. I thought it might be best to forgo the buffet and order a la carte, hoping that would be faster. That was a mistake. I sat at my table for 40 minutes. My order was taken, but I didn't receive so much as a cup of coffee during my time there. The table next to me had a similar experience, the four women sitting there finally giving up and leaving. I followed their example 10 minutes later and went to the Starbucks down the street. When I brought this experience to the attention of the front desk manager, asking him to take the meal off my bill, I was told there was nothing he could do because I'd booked the through Booking.com rather than through the Four Seasons site (I should also mention there was an issue about my room and its price that supposedly was caused by the reservation coming from Booking.com. I use that site exclusively and have never had trouble with any other hotel. Thankfully, Booking.com made it right).

This is the first time I ever stayed at a Four Seasons hotel. I don't think I'll be back. There are too many other hotels out there offering better facilities, services and hospitality. For the price--and with the reputation--I expected far better. Stay at the Shangri-la if you want to be near The Rocks.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, book a room with a Full Harbor View.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo