“Great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel was ideal! I stayed for four nights as a solo female traveller. Walking distance to Circular Quay, all major shopping areas, The Rocks and Opera House. Area is also very safe at night, streets are well lit and quite busy. If you're able, pay for a full harbour view room, so worth it! I ordered room service for breakfast which could get me through the whole day, meals were lovely and filling. Staff were very friendly and professional. Room size (Deluxe)was fine for me, but two people might want to upgrade, although the bed was huge! Room serviced daily with turndown service. I would stay here again for the comfort, location and that view!!

Room Tip: Go for full harbour view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Darls72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

To my shame it has taken me a month to find time to complete this review.

I've been working in the hotel industry for 14 years so I would like to think I know one or two things about what makes this great industry tick.

Recently I had the pleasure of meeting one of this hotel's BDMs (Suzie Bellamy) whose influence convinced me to give the hotel for a try during a special occasion weekend.

This review will always fall short of the gratitude I have for my experience there.

I'll try to be brief:
Checkin was seamless, incredibly friendly, efficient and to the point.
My room was sensational. I could wax on about it but let me say that I loved it right down to the fluffy bath mat.
Housekeeping were immaculate. I genuinely felt guilty for the mess I left since on my return everything was folded and neatly placed.
Location, perfect for all things Sydney.
Club Lounge - seriously, don't sell yourself short here. Everyone greets you like old friends and you actually feel like inviting the staff to join you, they're that wonderful.
Grain Bar - Katie was an exceptional hostess. There was one gentleman with glasses who was slightly too cool for himself, but overall this was stylish, modern and again incredibly welcoming.
Check out was even awesome. Complimentary water station that someone had genuinely put thought and effort into.
And finally a farewell that actually made you feel like an individual, and not a process.

I would go on if you let me but I can sum up with this:
If you want an experience at the level of accommodation you think you DESERVE, then Four Seasons will deliver it with aplomb.

It restored my faith in this fantastic industry and they will definitely see me there again.

Room Tip: Get the Club Lounge upgrade. Faultless experience.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had an amazing room...with a to-die-for view! Excellent location! You can walk everywhere from here! Wonderful Staff! The concierge was super helpful.... Definitely recommend this one! TThe bar is really cool too...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just an overnight business trip in December 12. Hotel was easy to get to (just up the road from Circular Quay train station and it's in a great location next to the Rocks. It was easy to check in and out. Quality of the hotel was good so I guess the renovations have finished! The room was good. Had a good breakfast. The bar was good bar. Very good service all round ... nice stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great location in "The Rocks" and service was fine. Concierge was most helpful. Rooms are small and nothing special, I have stayed in nicer Marriott's. I am annoyed by the need to pay for expensive and slow WiFi access (per device) in an ultra luxury hotel. They also added a 1.5% surcharge at check- out when paying by credit card.....doesn't seem to follow Four Seasons spirit of service and customer friendly policies, I will stay elsewhere on my next visit.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

One of Sydney's best hotels if you book the room with the views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay and the Opera House! Doesn't get better than this in Sydney!!! Staff were fabulous. Location superb!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the views at mid levels (not too high or too low as views are impaired)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I honestly would give this hotel 1 star had it not been for the exceptional service by the room service staff and the views. I stay in a lot of hotels, so maybe my standards are high but this is absolutely not a 5 star hotel. You are paying $500 + a night for the view and that's about it. The decor is old and tired, the rooms are small, the elevators take forever and a day, and i'm pretty sure my room had a bed bug infestation judging by the marks I woke up with.

The only positives are amazing views from rooms with a harbor or partial harbor view, the gym was very good sized with good equipment, and the room service staff were incredibly pleasant. If you are looking for something by Circular Quay the Intercontinental is the better option in my opinion. If you want more modern rooms without the view, The Westin is a great choice.

I am generally a fan of the Four Seasons chain, so needless to say I was very disappointed by my experience here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yankeetravels27
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the service from our staff and also the views from the hotel.
I would like to extend my apologies for not meeting your expecations with the decor and elevators. However, you may have noticed that we are near completion of our renovation with a brand new restaurant, bar and event rooms. The brand new elevators are now being launched.
Regarding the bed issue, since reading your feedback, we have check every bed in every room and I can assure you there is no problem. We conduct stringent examinations on a regular basis in all guest rooms.
If you return to Sydney, please let me know as I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised with the upgraded hotel facilities.

David Macklin