“Good but seriously crowded”

Hyatt Regency Sydney
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
New Zealand
“Good but seriously crowded”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

This hotel offers a rather sterile environment and it seems all charm has been lost on typical 3 star amenities.
As a businessman who stays (or rather stayed) here weekly I have to say that the busloads of tourists that make up 80% of the hotel's visitors can make your stay a little frustrating.

The restaurant/breakfast area can be full in seconds when another group lands, and the waiting times to catch an elevator can be daunting.

High school kids kept me awake most part of the night as the plumbing is poorly isolated and you can hear people taking showers throughout the night. Hey, we were all young and all had those crazy school or holiday outings, but it just doesn't seem to glue well with people who need rest and tranquility.
Asked about this, the receptionist told me that these groups are now the biggest customer base and that they should be expected to be there most of the year.

Beds are excellent but the ongoing noise at night is not compensated by that.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Rianbkk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

First I need to say this was booked thru spg.com using a cash and points offer. This was my first stop on my first trip outside the US.

I had several email conversations with the hotel prior to arriving since we were arriving on 7 AM flight after 14 hours of flying I wanted us to have a room - so I had prebook the night before to guarantee we would have one okay no problem there.

Check was easy, fast - we showered and headed downstairs to breakfast what - $40 for a breakfast buffet are you insane - obviously they are - Needless to say we skipped eating in the hotel after we had spent majot bucks on a morning meal.

The room - The room was a good size. We had two twin beds, tv had some channels but not nearly enough we had a lot of news we were on vacation didn't need 3 sports channels and 4 news channels. The bath room had mold in the shower - that disappointed me. They have stuff to clean that - why couldn't Sheraton buy some?!

Front desk after check in I used them a couple of more times - currency conversion - great - no fee and gave a very decent exchange rate. The next was to ask about access to the business center. They said I could get in anytime with my room key but need a card to get on line and I could buy the card in 30 or 60 min increments - but of course they were out and no one could get them for me. Huh? Out? The largest hotel in Australia can not connect a guest to the internet thru their own business center? Disappointing.

Location: It is not in the smack center of everything but its within a 10 min walk, bus or ferry ride to Circular Quay where everything is centered. Darling Harbour is becoming more the entertainment are with lots of restaurants/cafes just behind teh hotel as well as the ferry.

The concierge was the best I have ever dealt with - they helped me make an itinerary well ahead of my arrival and helped me make changes when I arrived. They always gave good advice.

Several cafes are good just out of the hotels to the left two doors down is good as well as one just about 5 doors up King street.

Overall its a good hotel to stay for price/location and the concierge.

• Liked — comfy beds
  • Disliked — moldy bathroom/front desk issue for bsuiness center
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank TennesseeTina
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and weren't expecting that much and our expectations were confirmed. It is not a bad hotel by any means and it is perfect for the business traveller but we were on our honeymoon and it was good enough to lay our head down after a long day. The hotel staff are friendly enough and the room we were given was a harbour view room which was nice and clean. However, the location for visitors isn't great. It was about 15-20 min walk to the Sydney Opera house which wasn't a problem for us as we prefer to walk everywhere anyway but I can imagine those who want the sites on their doorstep wouldn't be too pleased. From our hotel we walked everywhere and not just to the 'typical' tourist spots including around north and east Sydney which was great. Sydney itself it an awesome place and I'd love to go back but would stay somewhere different. The hotel was fine for the business man/woman but not really for tourists.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mondler11
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2007

Good location on Darling Harbour, its restaurants and sights (e.g. aquarium, nature exhibition, maritime museum) with easy access to the central business district.

Hotel is an older building, renovated and well maintained. Price is about what you would expect to pay for the area and class of hotel. Rooms on the harbourside have a nice view, and each room has an iron and ironing board, which is one less hassle.

The rooms aren't massive, but they are adequate. Breakfast is pricey but nice and the coffee is excellent. Internet is not included in the hotel rate, so add another AUD 25 if you need it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I'd stay there again.

• Liked — Good location, friendly personnel
  • Disliked — queuing for coffee at breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Suomessa
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in June this year. Paid 220 AUD per
night for 1 bedroom with ocean view. Seriously, I didn't really want to stay at this hotel however, I used redeemed one night from my frequent flyer points, therefore I had no choice. First, the room, it
was so small, there was no room to walk and no room to put two ppl's baggage. Second, Ocean view - wow....all I saw was the aquarium and the freeway - and slightly glimpse of the water...very not worth the extra $60aud to upgrade to that...stick with city view.

Location - not entirely close to china town, but it was close to the darling habour, therefore, don't eat at the hotel's one and only restaurant. We ate it for buffet breakfast and do no recommend it to anyone. The service wasn't so great either, we waited 20 mins to check-in.

My vote was based on the price, location and the rating of this hote,
just doesn't match - especially the room just did not meet the 4 star
standard, it was so crowded. We knew the location wasn't the very best but we were praying for the room to be spacious and at least have some views. Not worth staying at this hotel for the price paid.

• Liked — Close to Darling Habour - if I have to pick
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mrz-anderson
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

I can not stress enough how this hotel is situated in the perfect location, in the heart of Darling Harbor. It is close to everything. I spent two months researching where to stay and after being in Sydney and seeing all the hotels that I considered, I am thrilled that I decided on the Four Points. Other considerations include the Four Seasons, Stamford & the Shangri La which are all beautiful places but I wanted location.

The hotel itself is a bit old but still well maintained. Do get a room with a harbor view, EXCELLANT. I can say that this hotel gave excellant customer service, probably the only place in Sydney. We did have a car because we spent 4 days in the suburbs with friends & family, but when we went to the Four Points (the ideal location to see everything),the car spent another 4 days in the parking lot, unfortunately at $35 Aus a day so that wasn't great. We then went to the Blue Mountains after our 4 days there so we did not want to get rid of the car. (get a GPS system for your car, it's helps ALOT) Winter Time In Australia (we went in August) has the perfect weather, it really is not cold. (I live in the desert) Want to see the typical tourist places? get the combined packages, it's so much more affordable.

Go to PADDY'S MARKET on the weekend, it's worth going there to buy gifts, it's so much more affordable there. I found everything that I bought around town,there at PADDY'S MARKET, MUCH CHEAPER> Great hotel, ideal location, great customer service!!!

Stayed August 2007
7 Thank BKLYNVEGAS
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

This is a very nice hotel in a fantastic location. We booked a deluxe king harbour view and a twin harbour view. Rooms were very nice, good size, modern decor, comfortable beds, in room safe and nice bathroom. King room had a balcony. The King bed is a super king size and was very comfortable.
This hotel is literally at the waters edge at Darling Harbour and is about 100metres max away from the water.
The view from the room is fantastic. The harbour is a lovely sight.
The service was very good, we used conceirge service, room service and we also had breakfast at the buffet. It was a bit pricy but the buffet was very nice.
At Darling harbour you have the Aquarium and Wildllife World which were both worth going to. I was impressed with the Aquarium. The harbour is lined with a lot of restaurants and I would recommend Blue Fish (4 breakfast0, Blackbird, South Steyne floating restaurant, Dock Hotel.
You can catch the Monorail into town or take a 10min max walk which takes you to Pitt Street which is the main shopping district.
I would definetely stay at this hotel again. It is a very nice hotel and you are treated well by the staff who are also friendly.

• Liked — Location, very accessible to Darling Harbour and its activities and restaurants and shopping
  • Disliked — was very good no negatives
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family