“Loved This Hotel”

Ranked #70 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Philadelphia, PA
“Loved This Hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I stayed at the Establishment Hotel for 3 nights in March when in Australia for my best friend's wedding. I was blown away by my room, the service and the location. I tried to book a room for my stay upon
my return to Sydney (after going to Canberra for the wedding), but the only thing available was a suite for something like $1200 night.

I kept telling everyone how "pimped out" my hotel was.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Jen19146

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We booked through Mr & Mrs Smith, who we’ve used with great success in the past for European hotels from their guidebooks, so we were pleasantly surprised to discover on their website that they now feature hotels as far a field as Australia! We were made to feel special from the beginning of our trip, during our stay and right to the very end of our departure from the beautiful Establishment in Sydney. We received the Smith membership benefit of a bottle of champagne, VIP treatment in the hotel’s nightclub and on request the added benefit of a late departure from our room so we didn’t have to rush when we were packing for our long journey home.

The hotel is wonderfully modern and beautifully designed. The staff were so helpful and the city of Sydney and its inhabitants are so hospitable. Such a great getaway down under.

5 Thank lovestofly76
Amsterdam
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I've just left the Establishment, having stayed there for 11 nights for business.

I found the hotel great and by the end of my stay was really sad to leave!

This is a small hotel that is part of a sort of complex (I use this word loosely), of bars, restaurants, night club - all of which you can indulge in or not - your decision and the hotel is kept seperate from the facilities.

Room: I stayed in room 54 and it was great, plenty of space, good facilities, great bed and internet access was free of charge.Turn down service was very thorough and the cookies each evening are dangerous for the waist line!
Towels and linen were devine, one thing I dislike is hotels that use bad versions of these, and it certainly didn't feel like the case here.

Without a doubt one of the best rooms I've stayed in while on a business trip.

Location: This was my first time in Sydney, so I was unsure of the distances between the tourist attractions and also the different neighbourhoods. So it was a pleasent surprise to find that the hotel was in the perfect spot, just a few minutes walk to Circular Quay, Harbor Bridge, Opera House and add 10/15/20 minutes onto this for Darling Harbor, Oxford St, Darlinghurst.

Hotel Facitilties: As I mentioned the hotel has a number of bar's and restaurants that, as a guest you will have access to. I didn't venture in to any of these, mainly because there was much to see outside of the hotel!
I did access my room via the Establishment Bar a few times, and although is a beautiful bar to look at with amazing architecture, the whole place felt like a bit of a meat market and just not the kind of bar I woudl hang out in...but if that's you thing then it woudl be perfect!

There was also a small work out room which you could access at any time with the your room key. I went a number of times and was always the only person there, they have free weights, treadmill, bike, crosstrainer, swiss balls and soem other bit and peices.

If there are any keen runners I was reccomend the route from Circular Quay, past the Opera House followign the water around to the botanical gardens and then cut through there to get back on to Bridge street - such a wonderful route with amazing veiws!

Staff: I found everbody I encounted really friendly and helpful and I'll stay at this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank RosieFlynn
Belfast
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I stayed here with my lovely new husband for 5 nights of our honeymoon. The hotel is in a very handy location however wedged between 2 taller buildings it did get a bit claustrophobic in the room at times with little natural light. The room was fab -very modern. I loved the bath in the middle of the room joining bedroom & bathroom (but i slipped one night when washing my feet in it & nearly broke my arm!) We had heard reports about noise however we were very lucky to get a room on the 5th floor at the opposite end to the gym/bar etc. Unfortunately customer service was greatly lacking and due to this I would not recommend this hotel. Staff were not at all friendly, nor helpful. We had problems when trying to book a taxi one night and also when asking where to eat. The hotel also has a lot of wannabees hanging around it creating quite a pretentious atmosphere. We found the whole stay very impersonal and were very glad to be moving on....

• Liked — the cookies
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weemebelfast
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Stayed in one of the black and white rooms - dark wood floors, exposed beams and white walls, for 3 nights in March. One of the best looking rooms we have stayed in for a long time (so much so that my girlfriend had to video the room as soon as we got in it because she loved it so much!) Staff were very friendly and helpful at check-in but almost non existent at breakfast - we went down one morning, helped ourself to the continental offering and no one came to take our order for tea/coffee and hot breakfast - no one in 25 minutes of waiting! The hotel rooms are an add-on to a very trendy bar complex with a huge main bar, a smaller cocktail bar upstairs, two restaurants and a small bar next to hotel check-in (and a nightclub we never tried). All the venues are amazing and full of Sydney's beautiful people, however this leads to a lot of noise outside in the early hours - think they should invest in a bit of sound proofing - both the windows and doors are inadequate for the job so don't stay here unless you want to hear the action as well. Great place to be if you want to feel like one of the cool people but don't come expecting a quite, relaxing time.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The noise
1 Thank JWEdinburgh
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2007

The cab dropped us off in the Establishment bar, but staff were helpful guiding us to the hotel entrance. Our room on the fifth floor reminded us of the St Martin’s Lane hotel rooms in London, but better.

The bed is fabulous with lots of pillows, the lighting and decor is very sleek and modern. The appliances are tucked away and the whole place looks and is clean. The bathroom has his and hers sinks, the shower comes straight out of the ceiling and the toilet is situated behind a separate glass door.

From the hotel it’s a five minute walk to the Sydney harbour bridge and the opera house. Next door there is plenty of shopping and you’ll find a large number of great restaurants/bars. I really loved this place and would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Suzara
London
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Wow...this is what hotel experiences should be like! We stayed here for a week whilst we were in Sydney for our wedding. It truly was a great experience and there is not one thing that I can fault.

You know you are in a great establishment (excuse the terrible pun) when nothing is too much trouble. The staff were brilliant - so accommodating and everything done with a smile. Whether it was finding a parking space for the car or organising a breakfast for 15 including non hotel guests.

The rooms were perfect and of a very good size with enough gadgetry to satisfy the inner geek in all of us! I believe we had one of the best rooms as We had other friends staying at the hotel and our room (31) seemed to be that little bit bigger. I would definitely recommend the dark rooms over the light rooms for that extra edge of style.

Some other reviews have complained of noise but I can honestly say that on the 3rd floor we had no problems with it...also i guess on Friday and Saturday nights we were probably joining in with the revellry. The bars are pretty decent but are probably victims of their own successs come the weekend as they are packed. Much nicer to be able to enjoy them during the week.

All in all I can't recommend this place highly enough...we'll be back for sure.

• Liked — staff, service and rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank Osmosis5