“Kind of disappointing”

Ranked #70 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Kind of disappointing”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

As many have noted, the hotel is located down a back alley. I actually rate this as one of its charms, as you get to be in the middle of the lower CBD, and yet not have to deal with Pitt St, George St or Bridge St. And to be realistic, in this day and age, many back alleys hide true gems. As well as letting people enjoy being in the city without the noise and hustle.
Alas, the quiet was destroyed by the 6am garbage trucks and beer deliveries, which kind of took the shine of the experience. By the time we found our way to breakfast, we were further disappointed by the absence of any obvious breakfast, so unwittingly ordered an average and overpriced pancake.
The disappointing this is that this place ought to be brilliant. It's certainly priced as brilliant, at $480 for a midweek stay including an imaginary breakfast. But for that price, you kind of expect double glazing. Or mirrors over the sinks. It's actually aesthetically very pleasant, and the staff were friendly, and the location (despite the alley which is not a big deal really) is fine. But you can drop $480 and stay and the Observatory in true luxury (we have). Or you can spend $250 for a comfortable room in a trendy environment and a buffet breakfast you could literally drown in at the Radisson Blu across the road (we've done that also). So what's with the price?

If you're you're okay with spending that money for an interesting experience, this is probably not a bad one. Like I say, trendy, comfy and quite cool. But go with the cheapest rate, and get breakfast across the way. Also, ask for a top floor room if you don't want an early wake up. At least until management invest in the magic of double glazing!

Room Tip: Go to the fifth floor - you may avoid an early wake up call. And go somewhere else for breakfast. Bu...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edmo1066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Nosara, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We just left The Establishment after another great stay. This boutique hotel in the CBD is hip, well appointed and extremely comfortable. The location is ideal for business and/or exploring all Sydney has the offer. The beautiful Garden Room for brekkie is a great way to start the day. The Establishment Bar is a Sydney institution and the Basement Bar is not to be missed. The friendly staff will do everything the can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. If you are looking for a place to stay in the CBD, The Establishment Hotel is THE spot.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently and was really appreciative of the small things they offered. An easy check in, nice bathroom soaps, heaps of towels and good water pressure in the shower.

A couple of negatives were the water pressure in the bath and sink taps, pillows that were way too soft and thin walls... Enough said.

For location, if your time will be spent at the circular quay end of the city then this is perfect and you can expect a 10-15min walk to the qvb big shopping districts of the CBD.

Overall, very nice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gourjess
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My partner surprised me with a birthday getaway at Establishment in Sydney. I've always wanted to stay there and it did not disappoint. The small things just made it perfect, like the T2 tea and cookies as part of the turn down service. The Apple TV which enabled me to stream movies and music from my iPad to the computer.
The gym was probably a bit outdated, but in my opinion a hotel gym is such a convenience that I do find it hard to look down on and it does have all the essentials e.g. treadmill, free weights, benches.
The biggest drawback was probably the fact that it was down a lane and it was an issue getting a cab to go down the lane. This proved only to be an issue when we needed to go to the airport though as other times, we were able to walk to Bridge or George Street to hail a cab.
I would definitely recommend Establishment to a friend and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had an Establishment Room and was quite roomy and while other reviews said that the rooms were no...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The Establishment is a unique and beautiful hotel. I enjoyed the hidden doorway, muted lighting and calm ambience. Many other hotels look the same. The layout and decor of the rooms are tastefully designed. From the high-end toiletries and minibar options to the yummy turn down cookies and tea, I felt totally indulged. It was also lots of fun to wander down to the bar for a drink and watch the local business people let their hair down. Special thanks to all of the friendly staff for their attention during my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Recommended by a friend and was dubious due to the lane way entrance and busy bars.

Very helpful staff, beautifully appointed rooms with very comfy beds and high quality toiletries.

Stylish, tastefully decorated the great atrium breakfast was very relaxing.

I'll be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wobbly M
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I’ve been to Sydney several times and have stayed at several hotels of varying quality in different neighborhoods. Knowing that I’d prefer a boutique hotel and also knowing that a view of the harbor was not the most important thing on my list, I thought this hotel was beautiful and in the best location for visiting Sydney. After reading dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor, I was very specific when I booked my room at the Establishment, and I really think it paid off. This was our first stop after landing in SYD from LAX so I requested a studio room on a high floor and it was absolutely perfect. We did notice some noise from the adjacent room, but nothing too loud and no loud street noise at all – although we live in New York City, so we are used to a bit of noise. We found the room to be very clean and didn’t have any complaints. The water pressure in the shower was incredible and the bathtub was so welcoming after a long flight. As other reviewers have mentioned, the Sleep Tight tea and the incense they have throughout the hotel were so helpful and relaxing for jet lag. We did see the bumps in the rug, but we noticed that they were also in the hallway. Maybe they are part of the design? We weren’t really sure, but didn’t find them that bothersome and honestly forgot to ask about them. The staff were all very helpful and friendly – when we got there, the lady who helped us (whose name is escaping me – she was from Brazil) was so great. She called hospitality and asked them to make our room a priority so we could check-in as early as possible. We found that to be such a memorable touch. Staying at the hotel also got us bookings into Mr. Wong (which normally doesn’t take bookings), and also made it easy to get a table for cocktails at Hemmesphere and dinner at Est. Based on our experience, I would definitely stay here again the next time I’m in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple