“Secluded and stylish”

Establishment Hotel
Ranked #97 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Recommended by a friend and was dubious due to the lane way entrance and busy bars.

Very helpful staff, beautifully appointed rooms with very comfy beds and high quality toiletries.

Stylish, tastefully decorated the great atrium breakfast was very relaxing.

I'll be back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Wobbly M
There are newer reviews for Establishment Hotel

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I’ve been to Sydney several times and have stayed at several hotels of varying quality in different neighborhoods. Knowing that I’d prefer a boutique hotel and also knowing that a view of the harbor was not the most important thing on my list, I thought this hotel was beautiful and in the best location for visiting Sydney. After reading dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor, I was very specific when I booked my room at the Establishment, and I really think it paid off. This was our first stop after landing in SYD from LAX so I requested a studio room on a high floor and it was absolutely perfect. We did notice some noise from the adjacent room, but nothing too loud and no loud street noise at all – although we live in New York City, so we are used to a bit of noise. We found the room to be very clean and didn’t have any complaints. The water pressure in the shower was incredible and the bathtub was so welcoming after a long flight. As other reviewers have mentioned, the Sleep Tight tea and the incense they have throughout the hotel were so helpful and relaxing for jet lag. We did see the bumps in the rug, but we noticed that they were also in the hallway. Maybe they are part of the design? We weren’t really sure, but didn’t find them that bothersome and honestly forgot to ask about them. The staff were all very helpful and friendly – when we got there, the lady who helped us (whose name is escaping me – she was from Brazil) was so great. She called hospitality and asked them to make our room a priority so we could check-in as early as possible. We found that to be such a memorable touch. Staying at the hotel also got us bookings into Mr. Wong (which normally doesn’t take bookings), and also made it easy to get a table for cocktails at Hemmesphere and dinner at Est. Based on our experience, I would definitely stay here again the next time I’m in Sydney.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SouthernCross99
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I booked this for a business trip, hoping for something different from a regular corporate hotel. Overall, I was disappointed. I don't think this deserves the boutique hotel accolades it has. Hotel is hard to find, down an alleyway. Room and furnishings were aged. I could see the wear in the curtains, the stains here and there. Beware the Dark Suite is really very dark. And the kicker was I believe I got the wrong room. I had booked through Booking.com for a room, White furnishings, with extra space, but was given the basic Suite, Dark. Many people seemed to like the cookies they give, but really...just cookies though.
Plus point: Reception staff were friendly.
Would also have been good if there were some discount for the Merivale group of restaurants, of which I tried a different one every night. Establishment & Sushi e are great - food & service. Don't bother with Ucello. Mr Wong's is very loud.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jantsk
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Big nice furnished and well equipped rooms, done with great taste. Perfect location allthough a bit hidden, so no views to expect. Maybe sometimes a bit loud because of the noise from the street. Breakfast could have a bit more choice but the place was awsome and the staff so friendly. To recommend for those who value good design and good locations.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Maxis78
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel had a great vibe, fabulous service & restaurants close by. The rooms are really different & cool compared to others I've stayed in. Great location to explore the city of Sydney and beyond. The staff were very helpful with our needs & would definately stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently stayed at the Establishment Hotel for the night after returning to Sydney from a family holiday, this was the best way to finish of what was a wonderful time away.

On arrival I received a lovely welcome back from the team on reception and was checked into my studio room, the rooms are just as I remember, Ipad, Free Wifi and Apple TV and I love the deep relaxing marble bath and Bulgari products.

After a relaxing nights sleep I went down for continental breakfast in the Garden cafe which is a wonderful oasis away from the city before checking out and heading home.

This was such a wonderful way to break up the journey home and I can't wait to return on my next trip to Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent for exploring what Sydney has to offer. On top of that you don't need to leave the complex to try a lively bar and some very good restaurants. Sadly the overall hotel experience is let down by poor service and tired looking rooms. The staff do little to make you feel welcome and throughout the stay they seemed distracted or indifferent when interacting with them. As for the room, the style book on the coffee table seems to showcase a former glory (going back to when the place first opened). Whilst the size is good it appears the owners and management have had other things to focus on and have let the decor degrade and date. In addition the paper thin walls and single glazing take away any chance of peaceful relaxation between your various trips. Each morning we were awoken by cleaning in adjacent rooms and the corridor (vaccum cleaner going etc.) and late on in the evening the crowds spilling on to the popular bars in the street below made you wish you'd stayed out for more drinks. Very little about this place compared to a true boutique hotel experience. So much of Sydney to recommend but not Establishment. In the end it left me feeling short-changed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple