“OK...thin walls!!!”

Ranked #79 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Chicago, IL
“OK...thin walls!!!”
Reviewed February 13, 2008

Somewhat difficult to locate. Boutique and funky edge appears to be loosing its luster. Front desk staff double as porters and concierge and appear quite thin on the ground. Also the desk staff did not seem very well informed about restaurants etc. A request for a rollaway bed had to be made multiple times. The air conditioning was less than adequate for the muggy Sydney weather. The rooms are otherwise ok but if you want to use a hairdryer and a mirror at the same time this may prove challenging. We ate at the restaurant Est, just ok and did not live up to the hype. the bars were crowded and very loud on a Friday evening. We slept poorly as there was a very active couple in the next room, which honestly at times felt they were in the same room. Also the street noise was annoying. I understand the carpeted rooms may be quieter. All in all, I would not stay again and would probably go with the Westin or similar.

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank travelafficianado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I was very impressed with the Establishment, especially with the quality of the room. The decor and ambience was simply stunning and it has to be one of my most memorable hotel stays.
Some people will find the party downstairs in the bar a major drawing factor, but as for me, I am happy that the noise did not creep upstairs. The cookies at night and the free broadband are goodies as well.
The minor annoyance that I have:
* lobby is difficult to find, both by taxi & feet. Walking back at night, you have to walk thru a dark alleyway or walk through the extremely crowded bar.
No view-it didn't bother me but some people don't enjoy looking out the window into the back of another building.
Old fashioned CRT TV - come on, this is a funky place! What happened to the plasma TV?

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Having been to Sydney more than a few times, and frequenting Establishment bar and Hemmesphere, we decided to stay at the hotel for once, and we were very surprised! The room had sort of a Japanese/boutique/warehouse feel to it. You enter the room, and the bedroom was very long, with lots of storage space and big desk. Slide open the doors at the end of the room and you enter the bathroom, with a walk-in shower and separate bathtub in the centre. Toiletries were from Bulgari - we loved the soap.

Although hard to find the main front door (we arrived through the bar) the location is great - a brief 10 minute walk gets you to Circular Quay for all the ferries. A further 5 minutes from there you're at the Opera House. in the other direction, 10 minutes gets you to the famous Queen Victoria arcade (and my favourite The Strand Arcade - for designers such as Bettina Liano, Alannah Hill, Lisa Ho, Zimmerman, Farage, etc). And because you're on George Street, there are plenty of buses to various places like Bondi and Oxford Street.

The Japanese sushi restaurant at Hemmesphere is a must! But be sure to book! Unfortunately we didn't get to try Est. but we have heard many people give great reviews. Hemmesphere is my favourite place to lounge and relax. They even sell their own compilation CD (up to series 5 now). A block away from the Queen Vic building is Bacasse. Do try their lovely modern tasting menu!

• Liked — Style and location
  • Disliked — If anything I'd say it is a bit plain...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We stayed here for five nights as part of our honeymoon in Sydney. The rooms were fantastic, very spacious, lovely interior design and great bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The small touches such as fresh cookies each evening and champagne on arrival made our stay even more special.

The location of the hotel is ideal for exploring Sydney about 5mins from Circular Quay, and within walking distance of the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Botanic Gardens, The Rocks & Darling Harbour.

There was however one major downside to our stay - the pretentious staff in Hemisphere (the bar upstairs). They were very rude and the level of service was non existent. This put us off from trying any of the other bars / restaurants owned by 'Establishment'. This however is no reflection on the hotel which we would happily return to.

• Liked — The interior design
  • Disliked — Pretentious staff and lack of service in bar
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I loved my stay at The Establishment; it is incredibly convenient if you're doing some touristy things, but it's the vibe of the exclusive low-key lobby, the "down an alley" entrance and pub, and the ultra-hip restaurants and bars that make this place unique. This is not a view hotel; but the rooms and baths are incredible. There are two color schemes to choose - dark and light. I went with light and it was the right choice for a summer vacation feel. And nothing can beat these bathrooms!

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank susiek61
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 1, 2008

This was our first visit to Sydney. The Establishment suites and even more so its staff made it into a memorable one. Our suite was spacious and beautifully appointed with a bold modern look. The hotel offers 4 restaurants, a bar and one of sydney's trendiest night clubs all in the same facility. We thoroughly enjoyed the mojitos at the bar, breakfast and lunch at the main restaurant, sushi dinner at the Japanese restaurant. We appreciated less the thumping noise from the night club over the weekend. But above and beyond all that, the staff made us feel so welcome and at home with friendly and useful advice and ideas on where to go and what to do. They also arranged an excellent guided tour for us to the Blue Mountains. This hotel is certainly a place we would love to go back to!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — noise from night club over weekend
  • Stayed December 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2007

When I was thinking of writing this review – I really was in two minds. Should I be honest – and tell everyone how great this place is – or offend the gods of web 2.0 and keep it firmly to myself so that I can enjoy it at will. I have to say, this was a challenge. But I did the right thing !

This was probably one of the top two hotel stays I have ever had. Certainly my best ever in Australia. This is a truly remarkable place.

I paid $AUD235 per night – as organised by my travel agent, which for Sydney isn’t a bad rate at any quality. But a bargain here. The location is very good – on George St, in the north end of the CBD, quite close to Circular Quay.

This is a small boutique hotel – with around 30 rooms.

The room itself was nothing short of spectacular. The floors look like the old warehouse floorboards and the exposed beams are original too. The raised bed down one end, and sitting on it two delicious CD sized fresh chocolate chip cookies – which I found are replaced each night ! Yum.

A massive bathroom, complete with two separate sinks, and a very modern bath – if you open the shutters doors to the main bathroom – you can watch TV in the bath. The shower – a separate, and massive walk in space was the vertical “look it’s raining” type. The shampoo and soap in the room was by Bulgari.

The room had a high end TV and a Bose CD/Radio sound system. If you took a 3.5mm adapter – you could plug-in your mp3 player too. The room lighting has a number of settings, and when you come back to your room – it lights up to an ambient level automatically – I never did work out how that happened… but I was amazed by this touch. The comfortable bed was constructed with a large headboard – with fold down table flaps at the side – the perfect place to charge your mobile phone or laptop. It’s attention to detail like this that means that makes this hotel a standout – everything has been thought of, and no expense spared.

Room service was excellent – great service (non of this “sign here please” stuff – they knew who I was after all !) and the food was of an excellent quality, and good value. Breakfast was al-a-carte or a very reasonable $19 for “continental” coffee, muesli, toast. You slice your own toast with the sharpest knife the world has ever seen… almost worth staying there just to experience that.

On check out – I asked for a cab, and the staff member ran out of the front door of the hotel, round the corner and hailed a cab for me. And promptly arrived back in the cab she had hailed… how’s that for service !

Small annoyances/-ves (and these are sooooo very tiny, and totally overwhelmed by this fantastic place):
- I arrived pretty late – after 10pm – and the front door of the hotel was locked – there was a door bell which I rung, but I took a whole 5 minutes for someone to come and unlock it and let me in. And it was raining.
- The whole complex is a bit difficult to navigate through – as there is the main bar, conference rooms and all sorts of stuff on different levels. It would have been nice to have some signs around the place for guests to be able to find the appropriate lift.
- If you are a light sleeper (I am not) – you should consider that this hotel is located on an alleyway that has a number of bars on it – whose patrons spill out at all hours, and

This is now my favourite Sydney Hotel – the Hilton has been relegated to a very distant second. Very distant.

Oh BTW, a final specialrequest, please don’t stay here – leave it all for me !!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business