“Sydneys Best Kept Secret !”

Establishment Hotel
Ranked #90 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff are perfect, personal and helpful. The rooms are unique and spacious. Stayed in the loft penthouse and did not want to leave. Perfect location. Basically, perfect !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at The Establishment. Whilst some might think the term "boutique" just means "small", The Establishment earns what I think is the intended meaning. The room's modern design was sympathetic to the building's history and worked very well. The ipad that came with the room was a surprising and welcomed use of the technology and offered movies which we could watch on the main TV as well as offering news apps such as The Times and BBC. There was also guides to the hotel's bars and restaurants as well as other restaurants around Sydney which are part of the same group. The bed was comfy and the temperature perfect. It might not be great for light sleepers though as due to the wooden floors you can hear footsteps from rooms above. You also hear all the noise of rubbish vans collecting bottles at 5am - I didn't mind it and there are earplugs on offer in the bathroom as an amineity. The hotel staff are friendly, smart and helpful. On the other hand, the staff in the "Hemmesphere" bar are more preoccupied with being cool than delivering decent service! On the downside, the bathroom toiletries were only average, I would have expected something a bit cooler than what was on offer. Also, the shower door leaked - looks like the developer cut some corners in not digging out the shower room to allow for proper drainage.

That aside, if you are looking for a truely hip hotel, then I fullly recommend The Establishment. If you're looking for total relaxation and peace and quiet - maybe try somewhere else. My girlfriend and I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This was my second stay at the hotel. Greeted again by friendly faces on check -in, beautiful automatic lighting on entry to the room. Wonderfully huge bath and comfy bed and the freshest and best cooked breakfast in Sydney.

Thanks again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loopy123liz
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This hotel could have been brilliant. Wonderful decor, excellent service, terrific food and beverage....but. The noise is ridiculous. The noise from people walking on the wooden floors resonates throughout and the windows are not double glazed so every sound from outside the hotel can be heard. Unfortunately during my stay they were doing overnight road works, so there was drilling, shovelling, truck and plant equipment alarms galore.
The very least one can expect from a hotel is a good night's sleep so it cancels out all the good work from the staff. The worse thing is that the staff know about this problem and advised me to get a different room next stay. With the amount of money the owners spend on aesthetics they should consider spending it on acoustics. My advice is you are better off staying somewhere else and using the hotel for drinks or dinner, then it won't ruin your experience.

Room Tip: A quiet one.
2  Thank SamsonNIte
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I arrived at the hotel early due to an early flight and reception held my luggage while I did some exploring of the Sydney. It was raining and the hotel gave me a courtesy umbrella which was nice. The location was great. Darling Harbour, King ST Wharf, Circular Quay and the Rocks were only a few minutes walk. When I arrived back at the hotel, my room was ready with my luggage brought up.

The room was perfect! It had modern furnishings and an integrated Bose music system. I'm picky about hotel rooms and I have to say that I was impressed.

The concierge had good recommendations on where to dine and have some cocktails. Establishment hotel is part of the Merivale group which has a multitude of restaurants and bars. I recommend having dinner at Gin Garden, cocktail at the Establishment Bar, and then finish the night off at the Ivy bar. Being a hotel guest entitles to VIP entry to the different venues which was a plus as the queues were often around the block. I read other reviews about noise affecting the rooms. I didn't have a problem as I was coming back to the room around 6 am.

The hotel is great for young single professionals and hip couples looking for trendy restaurants and top bars to party at.

Room Tip: Check out Priceline for last minute deals.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelAddictSD
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The Establishment is a wonderful property, and arguably embodies everything a boutique hotel should be. Sophisticated, cool, extraordinarily comfortable rooms and very well conceived design. Warm, inviting public spaces, great staff and service and smart touches such as an iPad being provided for guest use during your stay. This place is just super cool, elegant and happening all at the same time. Steps from Circular Quay in the CBD yet tucked away on a quiet little alley, it is a gem in this fabulous city. I would return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

I had heard the Establishment was good but price and availability for a room in this busy Sydney boutique hotel has always led me to the bigger hotels.

I arrived through the main bar entrance, a bit lost to be honest as there were no signs to the hotel.. I asked the bartender and he actually walked me the whole way through the complex right up to check-in. Getting checked-in was great, lobby is small and luxurious, girls at check-in were great.

On opening my room I was blown away, a large corridor of dark timber flooring led to a small lounge, a desk with free wifi and iPad, along with a Bose surround sound system, good sized bed and a massive mathroom with rainshow, double basin and Bulgari amenities.

A nice touch was the giant cookies on the bed, I indulged in one of those before heading up to Sushi-E for a great solo dining experience having a chat with the guy preparing my sushi.

All round great experience for a fantastic price. I will be back.. when I get a room!!!!