“ok for who likes walking after a long day”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #52 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Location is ok, not so far from the station.
10mins walking. The room looks all right except some big dusts and hairs on white tiles in the bathroom everyday. They sell Wifi hourly. ($5) The fridge makes a big noise every hour that makes me wake up. The owner couple is rough, casual friendly to me. I saw the arguments sometimes with Indian family. It was not very nice at the entrance. The reason I booked was I like calm and quiet. And I read reviews on this site. But people walking around in the hotel and staff talk early morning to night. (no lift, hall way with tiles) Other people smoke outside of my room. Next time I would stay at YHA or something.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Akl79

Reviewed March 18, 2009

The service of the hotel staff were average.

Firstly I have to point out is this isn't a hotel that has wheelchair access. It has stairs at the front of the building and stairs at the rear/underground garage. The building itself has four flights of stairs.

There is a small court yard which has a sitting area and it has a vending machine in case you want some nibbles or drink. Although it was broken down when I was there.

The rooms were very comfortable however my room was directly across from a building that was being renovated and so it was suffering to hear the building hammering and drilling (of course staffs no fault).

There is some troubles with the location if you have very bad legs and find walking a hassle. The hotel is situated a two minute walk away to a bar/resturant, there is a newsagent, a few take away places and a small grocers.

However if your walking towards the direction of the CBD, there is a small grocers too, and an internet cafe. The walk for me was at least twenty minutes to the railway station. I must point out the location of the hotel is on a steep hill and if your planning to walk the distance you must be fit. I also do not recommend you go to the railstation after dusk. (walking) There is a huge park and swimming pool. When I walked by there seemed to be a few homeless people living there but I wouldn't trust walking past.

There is a bus service across from the hotel.

The cleaning staff one time left me with one towel instead of two. And they had an annoying habit of washing up my crockery and cutlery which I planned on doing when I got back from what ever I was doing.

To summerise think the price of my stay was pretty steep, especially when it was demanded the full payment on arrival. So make sure you have enough cash on your c/c or cash on your person to pay your stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Labia
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here on our way to New Zealand and on the way back to the UK.
Our room for the first part was on the third floor which was a bit of a nightmare with all our luggage and no lift!!! Having said that the room was really clean and the bed was extremely comfortable! Chris and Vicky were very friendly. The front door is locked and only guests had a key which meant we felt totally safe. It is a bit of a walk from the railway station but that didnt hurt us! When we stayed here on the way back we had a first floor room which wasnt so bad with the luggage! Again it was very clean and comfortable. We would stay here again next time we visit Sydney and would recommend this hotel to anyone we know. The hotel rate was reasonable and for a small fee we could get the intanet which was great for emails etc!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We were three siblings who needed a room with three single beds. They were able to accommodate us for a very reasonable price.

The rooms are non smoking, and we requested a ground floor room as one of our party did not like the idea of stairs, and there is no elevator. The room was very clean and everything worked just fine.

It's nice and close to the city and the airport. A taxi from the airport was AUD$25 for two of us, which is cheap. A taxi to the city centre is about AUD$15.

We stayed over a weekend, and found it to be pretty quiet. The courtyard outside is a nice area to sit and eat your dinner or to have a ciggie and a beer.

The coffee bar nearby makes great coffee and has a good range of food too. There are also a few restaurants within a few minute walk, plus a pub which serves great value pub meals.

All in all, it was a great stay and I'd definitely recommend it. The staff are very friendly and accommodating which is always nice :o)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tinzaroo
Reviewed January 19, 2009

It was my first time to Sydney and we look for reasonable price and easy access place to explore the city.
Within one day we already could figure out how to go places by bus from our hotel. Just straight ahead to circular quay by bus.
the rooms was very clean especially top floors (since we experienced stayed at the 3rd and 1st floor)
Friendly and helpful staff.
I really enjoy my time staying in that place.
if you take taxi from/to airport within normal hour it would cost around AUD 20.00 but if it's outside normal hour, it will take about AUD 30.00 (which I think still reasonable). You could also take airport pick up for about AUD 12.00.

I would RECOMMEND this place to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank M_3_98
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I have now stayed twice at this hotel and have found it a useful and good-value alternative on the edge of the city centre. As others have pointed out is not especially central or near the railway. It is a self-catering establishment rather than a hotel and there is no food and drink available apart from a vending machine. Shops, cafes and internet are 5 mins walk away. Rooms are reasonably spacious, clean with modernised, though not luxurious, bathrooms. Those at the back are quiet, befitting from old thick walls. There is no lift and the place is not ideal for those with heavy luggage. An annoyance is being asked to pay in advance on check-in. It makes you wonder what sort of place you have come to although the subsequent experience is satisfactory and the management friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Tony H
Reviewed November 16, 2008

We chose the Central Railway hotel based on the previous reviews. This is not a fancy hotel but it is clean and neat. Chris and Vicky manage the place, and are great hosts.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Central Railway station, however, it may not be close enough to walk if you have a lot of luggage (It's uphill from the station). At the airport, get a shuttle to the hotel ($12.50AUD to $14AUD one way per person), however, don't buy a round trip shuttle at the airport. You can book a more reliable return shuttle through the hotel for $12AUD/person (Chris will book it for you).

If you don't want to eat out, you could easily go to the store and buy food to eat. The rooms have dishes, silverware, a kitchen sink, refrigerator, microwave, hot pot, and tea and coffee makings. There is a BBQ grill on the patio. If you want to eat out, there is an excellent cafe down the street that serves breakfast and lunch. There are some very good Lebanese restaurants close by, as well as Indian, Thai, and pizza. There are several small markets within walking distance. The supermarket is a bit farther into Surrey Hills.

The hotel carpark is under the hotel. Laundry facilities are available. Wireless internet is $5AUD/hour, $10AUD/day or $40AUD/3 days. For those of you who might want to know, the rooms are non-smoking but smoking is permitted on the patio. There are hairdryers in the rooms. There are no lifts to take you to the upper levels of the hotel, but Chris will help you with your luggage.

We found that getting a Travelpass for buses, trains and ferries was a great way to get around ($35AUD for 7 days) - we bought ours at the Central Railway station. There is a bus stop across from the hotel that will take you to Circular Quay or you can walk to the Central Railway station to get a train or bus to almost any where.

We would recommend that you don't get room #6 by the vending machine. It's a bit noisy when someone buys something in the middle of the night. We stayed at the Central Railway Hotel for a a total of 6 nights at the beginning and end of our trip, in 2 different rooms. The neighborhood is quiet. The hotel has more people on the weekend, which makes it a tad bit noisier. We would stay there again, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Connecticut08