“Excellent service and good location - Nice modern rooms”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #53 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I visited Sydney for two days and needed somewhere close to Central Station,

This hotel was perfect. The staff were lovely - so helpful with directions and even helped me find the nearest post office. They also stored our bags for our last day as we weren't due to fly until 6pm.

The rooms are very modern - comfortable beds and a very good size for the wonderful price!
I will definitely be back and can recommend.

There is a little bit of noise from other rooms - but apart from that it is great.

Thank you to the staff at Central Railway Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Meliss_John18

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Professional, courteous and genuinely helpful staff. Indre, Virginia and Russell were always able to meet my small requests and were cheerful in doing so. Rooms are clean and pleasant, beds firm and linen very comfortable. The common areas are tidy and pleasant. As others have written, traffic is noisy but nothing much to be done about that. The location is pretty good, close to the restaurants of Surrey Hills, and to the cluster of eateries down the street at Redfern. Handy to Central Station and UTS. Congrats to Indre and all the staff for making my 3 week stay pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2014

First of all the staff were very helpful and always had a smile.
The room was clean and everything functioned as it should.
My only complaint were the noise of other guests. Large groups would eat outside until well after midnight with children running a mock and adults just making a general racket.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Bo N
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Pro's: Attentive, helpful staff. Newly renovated small comfortable room, similar size to Ibis rooms but with a better bathroom. Location. Breakfast pack comprising cereal, juice and diced fruit at $9.50.

Con's. We selected this Hotel due to its location, close to were we were visiting. Unfortunately we stayed in a street facing room on the first floor. Whilst the windows were double glazed, this did not prevent the street noise from disturbing my sleep. If you intend to stay at this Hotel and you require a good nights sleep, request a room that does not face the street.

Room Tip: Any room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gaja
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

we stayed here for a couple of days in march. The hotel is very sentral and you can walk everywhere from the hotel. we never took a taxi. the hotel is nice and clean. no sound insulation in the walls, and we woke up by our nabours alarm clock. helpful and nice staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night because I had an early flight the next day. The room was clean and well designed. I had two pieces of luggage and I was given one of the rooms on the top floor... so I had my work cut out for me. The gentleman in the front desk then offered to help me up the stairs. There are a few backpacker hostels and restaurants around the area, even a postal office and a bank across the hotel. A Lady in the front desk even drew me a map of all the places close by. The TV remote was out of batteries but it did not matter as I only slept there. The actual railway station is a 15 min walk from the hotel, I took this walk at 3:30AM and I felt very safe. I saw a few officers on the street. One cabbie offered me a ride but I was a few feet from the station at that point. This place was far cheaper than the big chain hotels close by and obviously more private than the backpacker hostels (also) close by.
The lack of an elevator might be a deal breaker for some but It really did not matter to me. I was on a budget at the time and all I needed was a clean place to sleep, a private bathroom and space to keep my luggage and I found it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank romescafe
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Central Railway has a hostel feel but there was a good mix of ages and nationalities staying there. My ground floor room was way more comfortable than a lot of other hotels that I paid a lot more to stay in while travelling in Aus. The room has everything you need for a few days basic self-catering and the bed was so comfortable (great pillows for a change) that I struggled to get out of it to go and explore Sydney. Although it's just outside the CBD it's easy to get to from Central Station (upper side) even with luggage and an easy walk to Darling Harbour and Chinatown. There's also a free city bus from just down the road that runs to Circular Quay until mid-afternoon, grocery shops are an easy walk away and Prince Alfred swimming pool is just across the road if you get hot and bothered. Pleasant little outdoor courtyard, which is fortunate because one of the only drawbacks was limited wifi connectivity but you can connect from there and it's a nice place to sit. They offered wifi free so no complaints from me. Very friendly and helpful staff - everyone who was on an upper floor was offered help with their bags when I was there and they were happy to keep my luggage in the office after I checked out until my evening flight. I got a great rate and was very happy with this friendly and well-equipped hotel. It's not 5 star but I got the impression that the management genuinely wants guests to have a pleasant and comfortable stay there - and I did.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good from a luggage point of view but noisier than upper floors
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo