“Very good near CBD with balcony but just better than backpacker”

Central Railway Hotel
Ranked #47 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
“Very good near CBD with balcony but just better than backpacker”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very good in a nutshell. I was impressed with it's close vicinity to Sydney CBD. It was just a stone's throw away from Central station. All I needed to do was take public train from Kingford-Smith airport, drop off at Central station, and just walk down around 100m+ down to Redfern where the hotel is at 240 Chalmers Street. If you need directions, just ask around, and the people around are very friendly. I was impressed with the presence of a balcony too, which allowed me to chill out at nights, and enjoy the cold wind, and traffic. I also hung my wet clothes out.

However, it has a few cons as well. Firstly, it is just average, and in fact just better than a backpacker. For a hotel, you can't complain much. I was satisfied as it justified the AUD$149/night I paid for. Had I wanted better, I could've checked myself into a swanky 5-star. It served its purpose well. Secondly, the website said there is a kitchenette. However, the was no stove. It was nothing more than just a microwave oven, a toaster and a flask. If you need to make your own breakkie, buy instant food please. Thirdly, the Wifi was always interrupted. I don't know if it's the router or something else.

Also, choose a room that faces the front so that your balcony faces the road, so that you can chill out and enjoy the wind at night.

All in all, it is value for money as it does have a cheap rate, but surely more can be done to improve our stay.

Room Tip: Choose room #16 on the 2nd floor as it is at the corner, so you get more privacy with less noise. A...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank sophianjamil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

August 2013. We had a quad room on first level over looking Chalmers St. Room and sheets were clean, although bed was quite firm, I would suggest taking your own pillow if possible because equally as firm. Although overlooking street it was not noisy. Reception was friendly. For those unfamiliar with Sydney, its a 10-12 minute walk to Central station, there are local convenience stores and uphill 10-15 minutes is Crown st Surrey Hills, The Clock hotel has $5 drinks from 5 till midnight on Sundays which was great for us. The shower water pressure is lacking but for a 2 night stay, I would book again for these rates.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family (husband, 16 yr old step daughter and mother in law) for 3 nights.
Rooms - beds are very hard. Showers are not disabled friendly. Room servicing is very average. Rooms are clean but obvious marks on carpets etc from use. No room to make breakfast - no bench space at all.
Noise - my husband and I were in room 6. Right next to the laundry and outside seating area. Very noisy at night and in the early morning when people were leaving. Room 8 was ok.

We were on the ground floor but still have to climb stairs to get in from the street and car park. This is NOT a disabled friendly place. No lifts at all.

It is close to the city. A 10-15 min walk to Central Station and a bus right out the front that we caught (on a Sunday) to Circular Quay which took 15 mins.

The staff were very friendly and and prompt.

We would stay there again because of its location but ask for a room away from the noise. The price was $732 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. And $66 for car parking for 3 nights. $133 per room per night.

• Stayed August 2013
redfern
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The location was ok. About five minute walk to the train station. Although, there are NO ELEVATORS. Not good if you have a young family and the front desk put you on the top floor!! Very simple/basic rooms more suited to a youth hostel than a three star hotel. Too expensive for what it offers, which is nothing. Although the staff extremely friendly and helpful, but carrying five large size suitcases up to the third floor wasn't my idea of fun! Try the youth hostel down the road of instead of here - it would be cheaper and its closer to Sydney!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bathurst NSW
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed for two nights the room was clean and tidy . The room was next to the laundry and smoking area the first night someone used the laundry till late so it sounded like we had a jet plane in the room and that's not evacuated. The second we had a group of smokers that chatted till after 11 any you could smell the smoke coming under the door. The people in the next room I assume we're catching the early flight out, so at 3am they started slamming doors. I assume again to wake the ones up that kept them up. Then t here was the rats that are running riot around the bin and garage area I counted 7 while I was sitting outside having a cuppa. The night manager did say they have laid baits but that seems a bit funny as they were all fat and shiny. All in all the room was clean and if I did stay again I would request a room away from the smoking area and laundry

Room Tip: Away from the laundry and smoking areas
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is very important to us. I was pleased to read you were satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. I am sorry the location of your room had a negative impact on your stay. To ensure guests are not disturbed by others using the laundry we have closed the laundry between 8pm - 8am. I have also passed your feedback on to the Night Manager to ensure noise in the courtyard does not become an issue for guests in the future. I can also assure you that we have completed pest control treatments in the bin area and garage to eradicate pests. If you choose to stay with us again, I would be happy to offer you a repeat guest special. I hope we get an opportunity to serve you again.
Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very clean and well administered by the manegement. The single room with Queen bed is excellent for one or two travellers and access to city life is right at the doorstep. Taxi's pull up at the doorstep, just stand out the front and wave.

Room Tip: Upstairs front rooms look over the street which I like. The double glaze glass windows keep the nois...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. If you are booking with us again, please be sure to mention you have stayed previously as we have special promotions for return guests.
Rotorua
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at Central Railway hotel at the start of our trip before moving to Coogee for a conference. The staff were amazing! So helpful and friendly. Fantastic location that is close to the heart of Sydney, but just far enough away to be very quiet, away from the hustle and bustle. Clean and tidy and good little kitchenette. Liked the personal touch of getting a daily information card with weather prediction. Will definitely stay here again...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VegasFish
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I was delighted to read your review of Central Railway Hotel and our staff. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Sydney.