“Just okay.......”

Ranked #47 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Just okay.......”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a budget hotel (I paid $125) which trades on its proximity to Central station, which is a 12 minute walk away. My room was at the back of the building with practically no natural light and even less charm. I think I might have preferred one of the rooms at the front - as shown on their website.

However, the girl at reception was pleasant, the room was a bit tired but clean enough, the TV worked, the bed was comfortable and there was plenty of hot water for the shower. So... I got what I wanted: a clean and inexpensive room for one night.

You won't find anything beyond the basics here. In fact, you might not even find that! I discovered there was only one toilet roll in my room... the one on the dispenser. Fortunately I realised this before it ran out - and before reception closed!

I wouldn't bring the family here for a holiday, but as I was in Sydney for one night by myself, it suited my purposes.

with practivc
cally no natural

Room Tip: Try for a front room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PANTHER029

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We arrived tired and thirsty to find we had 1 cup for four people, so I went to Reception and the young lady was very apologetic and gave me some extra cups.

As we got ready for bed that night we realised there was no bed linen for the fold out bed. So I went to Reception....as I made the bed I found a huge rip in the top of the sheet..

Then we went to bed only to find the single bed and the fold out couch were the two most uncomfortable beds we have paid to sleep in..so one of the kids went to stay with my daughter who we were visitng.

The next day we had to go to Reception..again... no sugar replenished...2 x sachets and four people who take sugar in their tea...except this time Reception was closed and no-one to assist, it wasn't pretty.

The same happened the next day except we made it downstairs in time to get sugar..

The next day - no face washers so yet another trek to Reception....

There was a definite theme to this holiday...

Having said all this, the room was very clean and if everything had gone smoothly I would have rated this quite a bit higher. It was very frustrating have to traverse 4 flights of stairs just to have the things that should have been in place. I realise that that this is a budget hotel but I've stayed in caravan parks that were better organised. The receptionist did also mention with one of the many apologies that the usual housekeeper was on sick leave and things hadn't been running quite so smoothly in her absence.

A few other aggravations include that there is no warning of the fact that there is no lift onsite so poor hubby who has back and knee issues currently really struggled at the end of a long day. As there was
So maybe others will have a better experience.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for a ground floor room. There are no lifts.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina M
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. It was disappointing to hear that you would have rated your stay higher if housekeeping had been a little more organised. It is for this reason I have put procedures in place to ensure these things are not missed in the future.
Adelaide Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Check in was easy, and the staff obliging,. The hotel really is only 10 minutes walk from Central Railway Station. However the Hotel is on 3 floors and there is no elevator, so if you have heavy luggage it has to be taken up stairs. The "kitchen facilities" in the room are very very basic with a small sink, a sharp knife, a set of knives forks and spoons for two. A bowl, some cups and saucers. A microwave, but no microwaveable bowls. Pretty basic for what is supposed to be an apartment. Small room with basic facilities. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was broken and the grouting in the shower mouldy. There is certainly better value available in the area. Noise carried in the open corridors and could be noisy at night if others were taking and drinking in other rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs if you have heavy luggage.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our staff are always on hand to provide assistance with luggage when checking in and out of the hotel. Our studio apartments are equipped with kitchenettes which hold enough cutlery and crockery to supply all guests staying in the room. Our room types sleep 1 - 5 guests. All crockery provided is microwave safe. We also have a night manger onsite to ensure guests respect others staying in the hotel.
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights while visiting Sydney for the first time. The hotel itself was out of date with holes in sheets and dirty towels & being not fully clean in general but the location was excellent. Central station was close by so it was easy to find the place coming from the airport and the hotel was just minutes away from Surry Hills which was a gold mine for restaurants!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hemppu
melbourne
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Absolutly horrible hotel.! awsome pictures online however they are simply pictures the rooms are nothing like what is shown!!
We had no room for our bags, having to leave them in the hall which we often tripped over! had to carry our bags up the stairs, 3rd floor and no assitance was offered tk my father!! Only one cup for four people, no matching dinnerwear all just spare/leftovers. very squishy accomodation, no room to move!
Very unhelpful reception staff, when asking where a location was she replied ' you just walk ' & when confronted in regards to the variation in picutres compared to what we actully got. She said ' we only have two like pictured however yours is bigger anyway! & ours was completlyy tiny, dont know how anything could be smaller and fit four people in it without them being on top of on another!
And just to top things off a dirty condom was outside on the patio :/ worst hotel ive ever stayed in for sure!!! Would not recommend this to my worst emeny, stay away!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Gordo91
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at Central Railway Hotel. All images shown online are exact room images which have not been adjusted in anyway. We do have a number of room types, not all are shown on the website; however they are of simular standard. Our rooms are 27m2 which is larger than standard hotel rooms at 15m2.

We have a luggage storage on the ground floor and also have a policy to assist guests with luggage where required. I apologise that this service was not offered to you.
Singapore
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My advice if you are looking for a pleasant holiday: avoid this hotel.

I'm a budget traveler, always looking for a great bargain when I travel. I'm not really picky, just the basics, and of course safety is important.

But this hotel is NOT the "value" hotel you are looking for. VERY noisy at night, with cars zooming past and people (drunk i suppose) making loud noises while walking on the streets. Normally, pre-trip, one will sway towards the belief that he/she can tolerate the noises. I did so too. But the noise really became intolerable to the extent that I felt pretty unsafe. Doesn't help that the door knob looks crappy and there was no "chains" attached to the door. Upon some research, found out hotel is located in the inner suburbs of sydney, kind of close to streets where a few crimes were committed in the past.

In general, in my opinion I have to state, it's probably a good idea to stay close to the city/CBD, (meaning more of townhall and circular quay train station), where it's more crowded so that you can stay out till abit later and still feel safe getting back to the hotel in the dark. An important consideration for me at this time of the year, since it's autumn/ winter and the sun sets at 5+pm. My stay at this particular hotel (i later transferred hotel), was marked by me eating dinner at 4:15pm (when i'm not even hungry), so that i could walk back to the hotel in daylight. (since it is located in inner suburb which means there is not much people walking in the streets once night falls).

Doesn't sound like a pleasant experience huh? Which is why my advice is to avoid it.

I haven't gone into the details of the room, because personally, they are bearable if i had felt safe in this hotel, and without the noise.

Some reviewers mentioned price, which was presumably a reason I chose the hotel. However, late into the trip, I realised that certain hotels gave really good deals which beat this hotel hands down. Meaning- hotels which garnered much better reviews on TA being sold at a lower price than this hotel. Lesson I learnt was to book hotels late in autumn/winter since it is a time where tourist traffic is slower in sydney, and thus hotels will offer better last minute deals.

Therefore, some reviewers said the price is good. I beg to differ.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CRHOTEL, Manager at Central Railway Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hi charmedml,

II would like to respond to your comments regarding the safety and location of Central Railway Hotel. I was most concerned to read your comments regarding your experience.

In all of our years of operation we have not had an issue regarding the safety of our guests. There is hotel manager onsite 24 hours and the building has security key entry. All rooms have a standard door lock as well as a lock and chain on balcony doors facing the street.

We are located only a 7min walk from Central Station Hotel and only 100m from local restaurants, cafes, bars, parks, and grocery stores. As the street has a mixture of residential and commercial properties such as ours, it is a little quieter however this does not make it more dangerous. There is public transport in front of the hotel for those who do not wish to walk after dark, but most guests do feel comfortable enough to do so.

Guests choose to stay at Central Station Hotel for its great position for accessing all of Sydney's attractions. This is something we are constantly receiving praise on. It is very unfortunate that I did not have the opportunity to address your concerns while you were staying with us to ensure your stay was more comfortable.

Kind regards
Management
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to find that the toilet in the room that we were given was continuously running & the tap had to be turned on & off every time the toilet was to be used, the fridge was loud enough to wake you up from a deep sleep, the window didn't close (facing onto the busy main road) & also the curtains didn't close. I contacted staff and we were moved to a new room the next day. The new room had no alarm clock, no hair dryer, the shower had no hot water at all and the water that did come out of it was a small dribble, not even enough to wash shampoo out of hair, we had to use the sink to wash our hair & was dirty.
When you think central railway hotel.. Don't think a 2 minute walk think a 10-15min walk in a dangerous part of Sydney.
Would never stay there again. The amount of money we paid could have gotten us something with a working and toilet.

• Stayed May 2012