I stayed here for two nights in December of 2010 for a convention. Overall, I had a great experience. It is a luxury hotel in a fantastic location with beautiful views. Yes, it is expensive, but it delivers. I have only one complaint regarding check-in (see below).
- location: great location next to the Rocks and a stone's throw from the Sydney Opera House. The Harbor bridge, the Kiribilli area just to the north and the downtown are all extremely close (walking distance). If you have time, take half an hour to an hour to get to the beaches (anywhere between Bondi and Coogee is gold). It just doesn't get any better.
- rooms: plush, comfortable, large. Beautiful views. Free fast wi-fi in the room (complimentary, I believe). A pre-printed jogging map with different routes provided in every room. Great fitness center on premises with a fairly large pool on-site as well.
- service: overall, wonderful. Super friendly, fast, informative. The concierge helped me out a lot.
- check-in. This is my main gripe. Most international flights get in between 6am and 8am. I got in on the 6am flight and was at the hotel at 7am. I was informed that the hotel was fully booked, so I would have to wait 6-7 hours for a room. After 30+ hours of travel, I did not enjoy spending a few hours in the lobby (until my laptop & phone died; no juice in the electric plugs in the lobby) and then a few more hours wandering the streets of Sydney (about 10 mile walk). I came back around 1pm and was told again the room was not ready. I mentioned that I have been waiting since 7am. After a call to housekeeping I found out the room had been ready for 4 hours and was checked in right away.
I understand the hotel is often fully booked. But there has got to be a better way to make international travelers feel welcome. There was at least a few dozen people in the same convention with the same problem. One solution could be charging guests for guaranteed early check-in (for a fee of, say, 1/2 the nightly room rate). Or at least providing a small shower room on premises (perhaps next to the toilets in the lobby floor) - a place to quickly clean up and change.
- The fitness center closes at 9pm. I would prefer it closed later (perhaps 11pm-midnight) so I could get my workout in after dinner / when jet lagged.
Overall, I had a great stay. Except for the check-in experience, everything was smooth, the service was friendly and fast. I would definitely stay here again. Wonderful hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney is perfectly positioned between the iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge in the historic Rocks district. Within walking distance of the city's major shopping venues and tourist attractions, the hotel offers panoramic views of Sydney Harbour. A wide selection of dining options including Australian cuisine at award winning Altitude Restaurant, Mix and Grill in the all day dining restaurant Café Mix and fabulous cocktails at the glamorous Blu Bar on 36. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri La Sydney
- Shangri La Hotel Sydney