“Great hotel, excellent service”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed here for two nights in December of 2010 for a convention. Overall, I had a great experience. It is a luxury hotel in a fantastic location with beautiful views. Yes, it is expensive, but it delivers. I have only one complaint regarding check-in (see below).

Pros:
- location: great location next to the Rocks and a stone's throw from the Sydney Opera House. The Harbor bridge, the Kiribilli area just to the north and the downtown are all extremely close (walking distance). If you have time, take half an hour to an hour to get to the beaches (anywhere between Bondi and Coogee is gold). It just doesn't get any better.
- rooms: plush, comfortable, large. Beautiful views. Free fast wi-fi in the room (complimentary, I believe). A pre-printed jogging map with different routes provided in every room. Great fitness center on premises with a fairly large pool on-site as well.
- service: overall, wonderful. Super friendly, fast, informative. The concierge helped me out a lot.

Cons:
- check-in. This is my main gripe. Most international flights get in between 6am and 8am. I got in on the 6am flight and was at the hotel at 7am. I was informed that the hotel was fully booked, so I would have to wait 6-7 hours for a room. After 30+ hours of travel, I did not enjoy spending a few hours in the lobby (until my laptop & phone died; no juice in the electric plugs in the lobby) and then a few more hours wandering the streets of Sydney (about 10 mile walk). I came back around 1pm and was told again the room was not ready. I mentioned that I have been waiting since 7am. After a call to housekeeping I found out the room had been ready for 4 hours and was checked in right away.
I understand the hotel is often fully booked. But there has got to be a better way to make international travelers feel welcome. There was at least a few dozen people in the same convention with the same problem. One solution could be charging guests for guaranteed early check-in (for a fee of, say, 1/2 the nightly room rate). Or at least providing a small shower room on premises (perhaps next to the toilets in the lobby floor) - a place to quickly clean up and change.

- The fitness center closes at 9pm. I would prefer it closed later (perhaps 11pm-midnight) so I could get my workout in after dinner / when jet lagged.

Overall, I had a great stay. Except for the check-in experience, everything was smooth, the service was friendly and fast. I would definitely stay here again. Wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Traveler14698
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Many thanks to the author for their honest & detailed review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
While pleased you found our central location, extra large rooms and Asian-inspired service to your liking, we were concerned to read about your less than standard check-in experience.
While we do endeavor to meet all guest requests for an early arrival, unfortunately we cannot guarantee an early arrival without pre-registering the room for the night before. This is a service most hotels offer guests who are wanting to guarantee that their room will be ready post their early arrival after a long overseas flight.
As many other reviewers have mentioned, where available, we do offer a complimentary early check-in prior to the normal check-in time of 3:00pm.
If a guest should arrive and the room not be ready, our standard practice is to obtain a contact number of the guest so we may contact them when their room is ready. This reduces the waiting time in the lobby and I sincerely apologise if this practice was not adhered to on this occasion.
I have also passed on your comment regarding the closing time of the gym to our Health Club Manager for their review.
We do hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hotel and thank you in advance for choosing Shangri-La Hotel Sydney as your hotel of choice while here in Sydney.

Reviewed December 22, 2010

top class business hotel. great location. good size rooms. all the facilities that could be required for a business trip.
expensive though.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2011

Many thanks to the author for their pleasant review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!
We were pleased to read you found our location, extra large rooms & facilities met your expectations as a business traveller.
I do apologise if you felt our prices were on the expensive side as we actively price ourselves in line with other 5 star CBD hotels.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

Great location, nice room, but service standards leave alot to be desired. Free internet was a great bonus though however room service waiting time of over an hour - BAD.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

Many thanks to the author for their pleasant review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
While pleased to read our central location, extra large rooms & complimentary internet all meet your expectations I do apologise if your felt our service standards and room service waiting time did not. I will certainly pass on your comments to Director of Food & Beverage for his review.
We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future.

Reviewed December 12, 2010

I stayed at the Shangri-la for just one night, but I wished I had been able to stay longer. The hotel is very nice, clean and well maintained, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are ample and light, and the bathrooms are very good. I found it a bit expensive, but that is probably true for almost everything else in Australia these days. The breakfast was excellent, and I was lucky as I had plenty of time and could relax and take it at a slow pace. The hotel also has a good gym and swiming pool, with clean and functional changing rooms. If you visit, don't forget to go to the bar at the penthouse, where you will see the most incredible views of Sydney.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2010

Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Thank you for mentioning our extra large rooms, Asian-inspired service and ever accommodating staff - all factors that combine for a true Shangri-La Experience.
We do apologise if you found the hotel on the expensive side, as we do vigorously compare our prices with other 5 star hotels in the CBD market.
Thank you also for mentioning our buffet breakfast in Cafe Mix and we were pleased to hear you enjoyed the service & variety of food offered as well as the unsurpassed views from our top floor cocktail lounge - Blu Bar on 36.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

I pushed the boat out a little on this trip and stayed at the Shangrila (Normally stay in Darling Harbour) having stayed at other Shangri-La Hotels in Asia. Service, rooms and locations are great. View I got over looking the Opera house was top notch. We only had breaffast the one morning and the spread was varied and sumptous. If you need a high end hotel in Sydney you wont go wrong with this branch of the Shangri-La - It has all the virtues you come to expect.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mankster
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

We would like to thank the author for their positive comments on our Asian-Inspired service, extra large rooms and central location. Our unsurpassed views over the city, harbour and suburbs are breathtaking and certainly allows a guests a unique aspect of Sydney.
We thank you for your loyalty to the chain and look forward to welcoming you back to one of our hotels sometime in the near future.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

My stay was booked online at lunchtime on the day after a very late change of plans. I’ve not previously stayed at the Shangri-La, Sydney because it’s slightly outside the normal price range my company allows, but the ultra-late booking gave me some leeway to book a city-view room for a not unreasonable $250 AUD. (£180).

At reception, they offered me a free upgrade to harbour view room, which I obviously took. Room 2310 was HUGE, with x2 Queen beds and an enormous bathroom which had both a large bath and a separate large shower cubicle.

The bed was lovely as was the shower, but the star of the show was the view out of the window, which I’ve posted on this review.

Only bad thing about the location – as another reviewer noted, it’s at the top of a hill and is quite a trek up from Circular quay. But well worth it.

Would I stay here again? YES! x100.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JasonLaw_UK
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2010

Many thanks to the author & welcome to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!
Thank you for mentioning our extra large rooms & in-room facilities - both of which compliment our unsurpassed views. We are sure other travellers will appreciate your photos of the view from your room.
We do thank you for mentioning that the walk to the hotel is worth the view, and would like to remind all that there are short cuts and easier access routes available to guests at their request.
We thank you for your recommendation and do look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

I loved this hotel...or maybe I just went crazy for the food here. Best hotel breakfast I've had in Sydney, Best lunch I've had in Sydney and the best dinner I've had in Sydney!!

Comfy rooms, great views, friendly staff...my only complaint would be the wait time for the lifts - not much they can really do about it but it always took an unusually long time for the lifts to arrive.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

Many thanks to the author for their "delicious" review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
We were thrilled to read you found the meals you had in our main restaurant - Cafe Mix - exceeded your expectations and can assure you your comments will be passed onto our Chef and the Food & Beverage Director of the hotel.
Thank you for also mentioning our wonderful staff, extra large rooms & amazing views. I do apologise for the wait for the lifts - we are currently upgrading all of our guests lifts to make them quicker and more efficient for the future.