“Great Hotel, Fantastic Service, Unbeatable Location”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel, Fantastic Service, Unbeatable Location”
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I was a regular business traveler to Sydney, spending a total of 12 weeks at the Shangri-La Sydney over multiple visits. Despite having status at another hotel chain, I decided to try something different, which turned out to be a great decision. As an American, I was unfamiliar with the Shangri-La chain, as it is Hong-Kong based and has few locations in the US (which is unfortunate). The first thing to point out is the service. The staff at the hotel are very attentive to the guests and truly go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Spend the extra money and get Horizon Club access - aside from sweeping views of the Bridge, Opera House and "Heads" from the 30th floor, 5 story windows, the personalized service and attention of the team makes the stay even better (if you usually have breakfast and break into the mini-bar, you'll get your money back through the food and beverage constantly available to Horizon Club guests). The rooms are large, bright, comfortable and feature the amazing harbor views...be sure to ask for a high floor facing the bridge. The hotel is located in the Rocks, right in the heart of the city.

If you value comfort, a great experience and a highly attentive staff, you should definitely give the Shangri-La a try.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 21, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
I firstly would like to thank you for giving Shangri-La Hotel Sydney the opportunity to become your hotel of choice despite having membership with another hotel chain.
I very much thank you for your kind words about our service, staff and our executive lounge - The Horizon Club - located on the 30th floor of the hotel. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our rooms - some of the largest in the Sydney 5 star hotel market.
On final note, regarding your comment about Shangri-La's in the US, I am pleased to announce that Shangri-La Hotels & Reports are looking at possibly expanding into North America in the coming years with sites in Las Vegas, Chicago, New York and Miami.
I wish you a wonderful Christmas & New Year period and look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in 2010!
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,810)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed December 15, 2009

A short walk from the city centre, overlooking the other harbour hotels, the Shangri-La has the most astonishing views. All bedrooms overlook the harbour, but the views inside the hotel are excellent too. The hotel entrance is not for the claustrophobic and is a bit of a let down, but the service and facilities is everything one would expect from the Shangri-La Hotel Group. Six stars!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Many thanks to the author for their fantastic review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Our views are certainly one of our best assets and offers all guests unsurpassed views of the city, harbour and beyond.
I thank you also for your 6 star recommendation and wish you a very Merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!
UK
Reviewed December 12, 2009

We are currently in room 2513 which is a premier harbor view. That view is indeed fantastc and mesmerising as it changes constantly. The room is very well appointed with furnishings and spacious. We particularly appreciated the provision of a kettle.

However, one thing lets it down badly. The air conditioning is negligable. The control has a thermostat and a fan speed of low medium and high. However, with the fan on high and the thermostant on teh lowest setting there is hardly any fresh air into the room. If you sit at one particular spot on the bottom corner of the bed or stand on tiptoe and put your hand near the grill there is a sligh draft and that is it. The engineer who came to look at it for us indicated that it was working to its maximum, that all rooms were different and that we would have got a better airflow if we had had a smaller (cheaper) room! His advice was to keep the curtains shut at all times which make sense when we are out but surely for the price we paid for this room in one of the hottest countries in the world we ought to be able to cool the room and look at the view?!. Like all hotels the windows are sealed for fire purposes so the room is stuffy and it is not even the hottest temperatures Sydney gets. Very disappointing from this class of hotel in which the room should be a pleasant refuge after a hot day of sightseeing not something to be endured.
The swimming pool on the other hand is delightfully cool.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2009
I would like to thank the author for their "in house" review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney and I sincerely apologise for the air-conditioning issues experienced in your previous room (#2513). I have addressed this issues with our Chief Engineer who has assured me the issue will be resolved and staff counselled on how to handle such incidents in the future. All guests, regardless of their room type, size and location in the hotel should be able to experience a comfortable stay with quality air-conditioning in their room.
I would also like to thank you for your positive comments about our views and size of rooms, as well as the in-room facilities and newly refurbished pool area on level 2.
I do hope your new room is more comfortable and if there is anything else we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Melbourne
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed here for business over the last week. It is a lovely hotel, the staff are unfailingly polite, and friendly. The gym facilities are great - although get busy very quickly.
However. I was awoken on my first morning around 315am by the noise of vacuuming - called reception to get it stopped which it was.
This then happened on 2 further nights even after I complained (and received a bottle of red and some handmade chocs by way of apology). When I checked out the manager charged for only 3 nights instead of 4. Fair enough - but issue still wasn't resolved as it kept happening.
I guess the only thing I would say is refuse any room on the 4th floor - the other floors are dedicated bedroom floors so you shouldn't have any issues. I would stay there again - but on a floor over 10 (not sure whether that would fall into my companies room rate or not)!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 12, 2009
To the author of this review,
I thank you for your honest review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney and apologise for the unsettling issue you experienced with regards to being woken up early in the morning by our cleaning staff. Since your review we have taken action and will only allow vacuuming of all guest common areas, such as corridors on guest floors, after a certain time in the morning - and certainly not at 3am.
I do apologise that this issue was not resolved in the first instance, and will inform our Executive Housekeeper to take the appropriate action towards our contract cleaning staff.
I do also thank you for your positive comments about our gym, staff and hotel in general.
I do hope one day to welcome you back so you may enjoy your stay more and notice the changes we have made since your review.
Scotland
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights in November whilst on a 4 week holiday travelling east coast Australia. We have stayed in the HK Shangri La and both their Malaysian properties. If I was to compare them to the Shangri La Sydney I would only rate it average... it does not have the same feel or slick service that the far east resorts do. We stayed in a deluxe grand harbour view at about £220 per night and the view made it worth it. Overlooking the bridge and opera house was simply stunning. There were 3 things that stopped me giving the hotel 5 out of 5... 1- when we arrived we had to bring our own cases into the hotel to reception- not what you expect at a top 5* resort. 2- the windows in the room could have done with a cleaning on the outside. 3- we ordered room service and the food came with things that were not detailed on the menu. Aside from those 3 things, the views are what make this hotel. We also went for drinks at the bar on the top floor which was pretty poor... we had better views from our room. The location is central but does involve a steep-ish climb. If we return to Sydney we may try the Four Seasons or the Westin but the Shangri-La would still be in with a chance.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their review and for your loyalty to the Shangri-La Hotels & Reports brand here in Sydney and our properties in Asia. I do thank you for your positive comments about our rooms and the view - both aspects of the hotel which are very unique to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Please allow me to apologise for the lack of assistance with your cases on arrival and the efficiency of our room service department. I have informed our Director of Food & Beverage in regards to the menu & items and will ensure measures are made to improve this area.
Our windows are cleaned regularly throughout the year, however unfortunately Sydney has experienced very dusty rain & high winds that has impacted our scheduled cleaning of the windows. I can assure you they are being cleaned at the moment and will continue to be on a scheduled basis.
I thank you once again for your feedback and do hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney on your next visit to Sydney so you may experience the same high level of service and standard as in other properties.
Sydney
Reviewed December 9, 2009

In June 2008 my boyfriend and I stayed at this beautiful hotel. It was an unforgettable experience, everything about the hotel was wonderful, from the appearance of the hotel and rooms to the excellent staff. We filled out a customer feedback form gladly, afterall we wanted to tell them how happy we were with our stay. Afterwards we received a lovely letter thanking us for our customer feedback, which we were all too happy to give in the first place.
The morning after we arrived, we got up early to watch the sunrise over Sydney harbour, we walked down to see the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed to me. Afterwards we came back to the hotel and had a lovely breakfast upstairs with a view of Sydney harbour, it was amazing. This again, made our stay at the Shangri-La unforgettable.
When we went to book our wedding reception, they recommended you as well. So why would we hesitate to stay anywhere else on our wedding night but the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney? Where all those wonderful memories started in the first place!
Thank you so much for making our stay the best it could be, and we look forward to staying at your hotel again in April 2010.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Many thanks to the author for their fantastic review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney & congratulations on your proposal and upcoming wedding!
Thank you for your positive comments about our rooms, staff, outlets and service - I was thrilled to read we were able to make your stay unforgettable (with some obvious assistance from your husband-to-be).
I look forward to your wedding night stay here in April and thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to spend your first night as husband & wife.
If there is anything we can do to make your wedding night even more memorable please do not hesitate to contact us.
Broxbourne, England
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Wow – what a superb hotel this is – whilst travelling from the UK, we stayed here twice on the ‘Occasions package’ and both stays were superb. Indeed we were upgraded on the first stay to a Deluxe Grand Harbour view room with an amazing view of Sydney harbour. This hotel lives up to its 5 star rating and would highly recommend.
Plus Points
Good sized rooms
Unbeatable views
Great levels of Service
Good Facilities

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review - I was very pleased to read your positive comments about our hotel, views, service and facilities.
All of these aspects combine to offer our guests a true Shangri-La Experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future for another magnificent stay!