“3am vacuuming - but otherwise a lovely hotel”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed here for business over the last week. It is a lovely hotel, the staff are unfailingly polite, and friendly. The gym facilities are great - although get busy very quickly.
However. I was awoken on my first morning around 315am by the noise of vacuuming - called reception to get it stopped which it was.
This then happened on 2 further nights even after I complained (and received a bottle of red and some handmade chocs by way of apology). When I checked out the manager charged for only 3 nights instead of 4. Fair enough - but issue still wasn't resolved as it kept happening.
I guess the only thing I would say is refuse any room on the 4th floor - the other floors are dedicated bedroom floors so you shouldn't have any issues. I would stay there again - but on a floor over 10 (not sure whether that would fall into my companies room rate or not)!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2009

To the author of this review,
I thank you for your honest review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney and apologise for the unsettling issue you experienced with regards to being woken up early in the morning by our cleaning staff. Since your review we have taken action and will only allow vacuuming of all guest common areas, such as corridors on guest floors, after a certain time in the morning - and certainly not at 3am.
I do apologise that this issue was not resolved in the first instance, and will inform our Executive Housekeeper to take the appropriate action towards our contract cleaning staff.
I do also thank you for your positive comments about our gym, staff and hotel in general.
I do hope one day to welcome you back so you may enjoy your stay more and notice the changes we have made since your review.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed December 9, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights in November whilst on a 4 week holiday travelling east coast Australia. We have stayed in the HK Shangri La and both their Malaysian properties. If I was to compare them to the Shangri La Sydney I would only rate it average... it does not have the same feel or slick service that the far east resorts do. We stayed in a deluxe grand harbour view at about £220 per night and the view made it worth it. Overlooking the bridge and opera house was simply stunning. There were 3 things that stopped me giving the hotel 5 out of 5... 1- when we arrived we had to bring our own cases into the hotel to reception- not what you expect at a top 5* resort. 2- the windows in the room could have done with a cleaning on the outside. 3- we ordered room service and the food came with things that were not detailed on the menu. Aside from those 3 things, the views are what make this hotel. We also went for drinks at the bar on the top floor which was pretty poor... we had better views from our room. The location is central but does involve a steep-ish climb. If we return to Sydney we may try the Four Seasons or the Westin but the Shangri-La would still be in with a chance.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their review and for your loyalty to the Shangri-La Hotels & Reports brand here in Sydney and our properties in Asia. I do thank you for your positive comments about our rooms and the view - both aspects of the hotel which are very unique to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Please allow me to apologise for the lack of assistance with your cases on arrival and the efficiency of our room service department. I have informed our Director of Food & Beverage in regards to the menu & items and will ensure measures are made to improve this area.
Our windows are cleaned regularly throughout the year, however unfortunately Sydney has experienced very dusty rain & high winds that has impacted our scheduled cleaning of the windows. I can assure you they are being cleaned at the moment and will continue to be on a scheduled basis.
I thank you once again for your feedback and do hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney on your next visit to Sydney so you may experience the same high level of service and standard as in other properties.

Reviewed December 9, 2009

In June 2008 my boyfriend and I stayed at this beautiful hotel. It was an unforgettable experience, everything about the hotel was wonderful, from the appearance of the hotel and rooms to the excellent staff. We filled out a customer feedback form gladly, afterall we wanted to tell them how happy we were with our stay. Afterwards we received a lovely letter thanking us for our customer feedback, which we were all too happy to give in the first place.
The morning after we arrived, we got up early to watch the sunrise over Sydney harbour, we walked down to see the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed to me. Afterwards we came back to the hotel and had a lovely breakfast upstairs with a view of Sydney harbour, it was amazing. This again, made our stay at the Shangri-La unforgettable.
When we went to book our wedding reception, they recommended you as well. So why would we hesitate to stay anywhere else on our wedding night but the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney? Where all those wonderful memories started in the first place!
Thank you so much for making our stay the best it could be, and we look forward to staying at your hotel again in April 2010.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Many thanks to the author for their fantastic review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney & congratulations on your proposal and upcoming wedding!
Thank you for your positive comments about our rooms, staff, outlets and service - I was thrilled to read we were able to make your stay unforgettable (with some obvious assistance from your husband-to-be).
I look forward to your wedding night stay here in April and thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to spend your first night as husband & wife.
If there is anything we can do to make your wedding night even more memorable please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed December 8, 2009

Wow – what a superb hotel this is – whilst travelling from the UK, we stayed here twice on the ‘Occasions package’ and both stays were superb. Indeed we were upgraded on the first stay to a Deluxe Grand Harbour view room with an amazing view of Sydney harbour. This hotel lives up to its 5 star rating and would highly recommend.
Plus Points
Good sized rooms
Unbeatable views
Great levels of Service
Good Facilities

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review - I was very pleased to read your positive comments about our hotel, views, service and facilities.
All of these aspects combine to offer our guests a true Shangri-La Experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future for another magnificent stay!

Reviewed December 1, 2009

For our anniversary, my husband and I bought tickets to the theatre and we thought we would treat ourselves to a 5 star experience at the Shangri La Hotel . We decided on the Darling Harbour room where we were looking forward to "Enjoy panoramic views over Millers Point, Darling Harbour, Walsh and Lavender Bays and west through to the Blue Mountains." However the view from our room was very different to this and it was definately not worth the over $400 price tag. For a hotel that promotes its views as an asset I was extremely disappointed and the view we saw could be seen from any hotel along any freeway. We kept the curtains closed to actually block it out. I definately don't feel that this room was value for money and there are other hotels that are cheaper with better views.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Newiegirl09
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2009

To the author,
I thank you for your review and please allow me to firstly congratulate you on your anniversary.
I would like to apologise for the less that memorable view from your room during your stay with us. At any time when a guest is unhappy with their room, whether it be the view, bedding configuration, position etc., we are always more than happy to assist with offering an alternative room to make your stay more enjoyable. I would hope in this instance, you may have approached reception to request an alternative room, however if one was not available due to high occupancy, alternative solutions may be offered. Should you wish to return to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may assist.
I do hope one day to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney so you may experience true Shangri-La Hospitality.

Reviewed November 30, 2009

We loved the room on the 28th floor with the most fantastic view over the Harbour. Sitting on the window seat early one morning, we watched as a large cruise ship passed the Opera House and sailed under the Bridge.
The staff were all very polite and helpful, even the housekeeping staff we passed in the corridor on our way out each morning,greeted us and wished us a pleasant day. We had dinner at the Altitude restaurant and were impressed by the food and the service. I would advise making a reservation if you want to eat here, we hadn't but were lucky to get the last table. I was very impressed by our waiter and do wish I could remember his name for a special mention as he was most attentive but not obtrusive. It was a great evening.
The service at breakfast was not as good. It was small things like plates not being cleared, running out of fresh mushrooms for omelettes, waiting ages for butter to come from somewhere and also for coffee refills!
The location in the historic Rocks district makes it very convenient for Circular Key, bars, restaurantsand shopping but it is hilly with lots of steps to negotiate. No problem for us, it compensated for the extra kilojoules consumed, but it could be for those less active/mobile.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will definitely return.

2  Thank krissiebird
Reviewed November 30, 2009

The hotel is very nice and in a very good location (although it is extremely difficult to get to the first time both walking and driving but you eventually find your way). The bar on the top of the hotel has great views and fun (but super expensive) mixed drinks.

All of the good memories of this hotel though were completely overshadowed by the outrageous parking bill we received upon check out. We had rented a car for the few days we were in town to go visit the Blue Mountains and take other day trips. I know valet parking at hotels is expensive but over $40US a day is OUTRAGEOUS! Plus the girl at the check out could point to nowhere that this rate was stated in writing, leading me to believe she could have made it up on the spot. I don't know what other hotels in Sydney charge for parking but to me this was over the top.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney. I certainly do appreciate your positive comments about our location and top floor cocktail lounge - Blu Bar on 36.
I would like to apologise however if your fantastic stay with us was somehow soured by our overnight carparking charges. Our overnight carparking fee is mentioned on our website and is competitively priced with other 5 star hotels located in the Sydney CBD.
I do hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to one day welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.