“BLISSFUL HEAVEN TO STAY, GREAT AMENITIES AND GORGEOUS VIEWS FROM ROOM ...”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We both loved our hotel experience at the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney, and we would definitely love to stay again some day. The staff were friendly, courteous and very helpful. We loved the room we stayed in, gorgeous corner room with views over the harbour, the bed was so soft and comfortable and the bathroom was a pleasure to ensure we enjoyed the whole wonderful experience. We dined in the restaurant which was another experience in itself - the view was magnificent although we would have loved a room by the window to truly savour every moment of our anniversary celebration.

The location is just by the Sydney Harbour Bridge and walking distance to many sightseeing spots, good cheap pub dining close to the hotel, close to the harbour and the shopping malls. The quiet convenient location, wonderful staff and service ensure that we will back again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their "blissful" review - it is always a pleasure to read such reviews and I certainly appreciate your kind words.
Thank you for mentioning our staff, location, rooms as well as our food & beverage outlets - all of which combine to offer our guests a truly unique Shangri-La Experience. I will certainly be passing on your kind words to our Executive Office to share with the staff.
With all of the above in mind, I do look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!
Mr. Ashley Hunt

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed October 18, 2009

we loved the location of this hotel but were a bit surprized by the attitude of the staff perhaps the boys cutt offs were the issue but we were staying in their top floor so this should not have been a problem. Hong kong Shang beats it hands down although the view from the restaurent is amazing. Laundry bill is not good!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their honest review of their experience at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
While I certainly do appreciate your positive comment about our location, I would like to apologise if our staff were at all rude or not acting in a courteous manner. If there was an issue with your party not meeting a dress regulation when entering one of our bars or restaurants, and the staff involved did not handle it in the correct manner - I do apologise for this lack of courtesy.
I do thank you once again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights as start of a trip to Australia / New Zealand. After a long flight from Ireland, we were shattered on arrival, and the bed was one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in.

Check in was very prompt, the room was amazing and we had gotten it at a very good rate. The location of the hotel is brilliant. We did not eat in the hotel but had a drink in the Horizon bar which was amazing.

We used the swimming pool each morning and practically had it to ourselves every day. Use of the internet in the business centre was great for keeping in touch with home.

Overall, a fantastic experience and well worth splashing out to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their great review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our rooms and hotel facilities - especially are newly refurbished pool and gym area on level 2.
I thank you also for singling out Blu Horizon Bar on top of the hotel - with fantastic views across Sydney Harbour and delicious cocktails - it is a must for all guests to Shangri-La Hotel and Sydney.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel so you may continue to experience true Shangri-La Hospitality!
Mr. Ashley Hunt

Reviewed October 17, 2009

Our Horizon Club room was fabulous. However, a couple of 'quirks or irregularities' is keeping me from giving it 5 out of 5 star rating. First of all, we asked for a possible upgrade to a harbour view. The desk staff were a bit cold and unyielding to our request even though it was guaranteed we were returning the following week. The service within the Horizon Club was great. We enjoyed relaxing with a drink and hor d'ourves before dinner. One thing to note. There is a Rockpool restaurant and a Rockpool Bar and Grill where they specialize in steak overlooking the harbour. Don't make the mistake we made.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their review and please allow to apologise for the attitude of a staff member when a requested upgrade was not granted.
All requests for upgrades are taken on board, and if a request cannot be granted, for whatever the reason may be, empathy should be shown. I will certainly be counselling the staff on how to handle such instances in the future and alternatives that may be offered. I still thank you for your high rating.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our Horizon Club and that the rooms were to your liking.
I do look forward to one day welcoming you back to the club and Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!

Reviewed October 17, 2009

I stayed at the Shangri-La hotel for a work conference a few weeks ago. From the moment we arrived, I was very happy with the service and also the atmosphere of this wonderful hotel.

My work colleague and I stayed in a corner room and it was a nice surprise to stay in such a beautiful room!! The bed was the comfiest I had ever slept in, and the pillows were to die for!!! Loved the window seats where we spent some of our time just relaxing, taking in the view.

Staff were all friendly, especially in Cafe Mix, where we had a lovely waitress Bonnie attend our table. She was lovely and very caring and attentive!!!

The staff in the Altitude bar on the top floor were very friendly, I did think that $7.50 for a glass of lemonade was a bit excessive though. But the view was breathtaking.

Our room was attended to twice daily, each time we arrived back during our day, the room was clean, bed was made, bins were emptied, towels changed, shoes put in the wardrobe and they even put the ironing board away each day for us, which I didn't expect!

The housekeeping staff would step aside in the corridors as you passed and said hello, even the chef at Cafe Mix asked how my day was going!

At the end of the stay when we checked out, my work colleague thought she lost her phone and went to ask if anyone had handed it in. One of the staff members escorted her back to the room we stayed in to see if it was left in there and even offered to ring her number to see if they could hear it ringing.

Downside was the massive hill we had to climb up to get to the hotel. I definitely got my exercise in, climbing up and down that hill!! We also woke on Sunday morning at 7am to council workers trimming the hedge on a nearby retaining wall with their loud hedge trimmers. But it wasn't too much of a problem for us as we had to be up early anyway.

I rate my overall experience of the Shangri-La hotel as excellent and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review! I certainly do appreciate your positive comments about our rooms, location and especially our staff and service. Our housekeeping department is often that overlooked area, and they do a fantastic job and service, thus I thank you for singling them out in your review.
I will also be sure to nominate Bonnie from our Cafe Mix restaurant for our internal Customer Delight program and will also pass on your thoughts to our Director of Food & Beverage.
While our location and position on top of a hill is slightly on the steeper side, it does allow the hotel and its guests and very unique & unsurpassed view of Sydney city, the harbour, Opera House & Harbour Bridge.
I thank you once again for your review and do look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future.

Reviewed October 15, 2009

I will stay here again.............We loved everything about our room, the view and the service............Phoenix AZ

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their short and sweet positive review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and thank you for commenting on our views and service - both of which add to the uniqueness of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
I do hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed at the Shangri- La for our honeymoon in Dc 07 but I must write a review as I cannot believe the negative comments some have made!
It was absolutely the best hotel either myself or my husband has ever stayed in! Everything from the amazing bar (with the best views of a city at night ever) , fantastic breakfast and beds that were so comfy it was difficult to drag yourelf out of. But you only need to look our of the massive windows to make you want to get out of bed!
We didnt have a opera house room or any of the fancier upgrades but we did get a Darling harbour view room and it was amazing. We stayed over christmas and new year and so the party mood was certainly in the air.
I cannot rate this hotel high enough- dont listen to the negative reviews.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2009

Many thanks to the author for their review and please allow me to offer you a (belated) congratulations on your wedding!
Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel Sydney for your choice of hotel for your honeymoon and for mentioning our fabulous bar, rooms and view.
Since your last stay our gym, pool and main restaurant have gone through a significant refurbishment & upgrade and are now better than ever! Added to this Australia's first Chi Spa in December this year, Shangri-La Hotel Sydney really can offer our guests a true Shangri-La Experience.
I do hope we can welcome you back for an anniversary stay sometime in the near future!