“Fabulous hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
south yorkshire
“Fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed at the Shangri- La for our honeymoon in Dc 07 but I must write a review as I cannot believe the negative comments some have made!
It was absolutely the best hotel either myself or my husband has ever stayed in! Everything from the amazing bar (with the best views of a city at night ever) , fantastic breakfast and beds that were so comfy it was difficult to drag yourelf out of. But you only need to look our of the massive windows to make you want to get out of bed!
We didnt have a opera house room or any of the fancier upgrades but we did get a Darling harbour view room and it was amazing. We stayed over christmas and new year and so the party mood was certainly in the air.
I cannot rate this hotel high enough- dont listen to the negative reviews.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 17, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their review and please allow me to offer you a (belated) congratulations on your wedding!
Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel Sydney for your choice of hotel for your honeymoon and for mentioning our fabulous bar, rooms and view.
Since your last stay our gym, pool and main restaurant have gone through a significant refurbishment & upgrade and are now better than ever! Added to this Australia's first Chi Spa in December this year, Shangri-La Hotel Sydney really can offer our guests a true Shangri-La Experience.
I do hope we can welcome you back for an anniversary stay sometime in the near future!
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,718)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

I was so excited to come here...we wer eon my honeymoon. Special thanks then to everyone at this so called lucury hotel who managed to ruin what should have been an exceptional experience for us. Rude staff who couldn't care less and shunned us in the so called executive lounge made us miserable, as did the plusating music from the bar above our room (which, funnily enough, we weren't allowed to attend, and were told to wait in line with non resident guests). Simply awful (skid marks on the toilet of our suite when we arrived and a used condom in the bin). The highlight was leaving. We were even charged drinks from the bar upstairs (780 dollars!) which we most certainly didn't have....anyways, I really could go on, but if you have any sense you'll ignore that this is number 12 on the list and go elsewhere, unless you like finding used condoms in your bathroom and being talked down to on a daily basis.....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank KentGent
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
To the author of this review,
Please allow me to start off by sincerely apologising for the obvious drop in our usual high standard that you unfortunately experienced here at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
We pride ourselves on our staff, service, rooms and facilities - as mentioned in previous reviews on Tripadvisor; and I can assure you the experience you received during your stay was not the norm for the hotel.
I will certainly be passing on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and Director of Food & Beverage so we may take the appropriate action to prevent such an incidents occurring again.
Regarding your charge of $780 - I do hope this was rectified on check out, however if it was not, or was not to your expectations, please do let me know immediately so I can investigate and resolve this for you on your behalf.
I understand our solid reputation has been tarnished by your experience, however if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

Executive lounge makes the experience (a must have) special. Great work by Jerry special attention for our daughter, slippers and her refreshments delivered to the computer room, these extra touches above and beyond makes this a true 5 star hotel, all our additional requests were honoured late check out early check in, and children’s meal delivered to the lounge nothing a problem. Great choice if you have children, many Exec lounges at other hotels in Sydney do not permit entry for children. A great place to unwind and be pampered

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Rungsted
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I have stayed at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney once before and absolutely loved it. I stayed in a Horizon suite grand habour view - breathtaking. I looked very much forward returning the hotel in November 2009. I wrote an e-mail to the reception. I didn't hesiate to inform about my preferred view and that I had stayed there before. I had trouble with applying fro advcance purchase deals and asked questions regarding this. The reply from the reception was dissapointing and standard. There was no answers to any of my questions raised in my mail. Based upon the view - which is fabulous - I stilled booked a Horizon Habour Grand View room. I do hope that the standard reply was an exemption as I have high expectations to this hotel and Horizon club. Hopefully the service will give raise to more stars upon next visit in November.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 10, 2009
To the Author,
I thank you for your pre-stay review and do hope Shangri-La Hotel Sydney meets your expectations and exceeds your experience on your previous stay.
I do apologise for the lack of individual recognition in our reply to your email & questions and will certainly pass on your comments to our Reservations Manager. I can assure you the Horizon Club Grand Harbour View Room booked is a beautiful room with upgraded facilities & amenities and an unsurpassed view of Sydney.
Of course, if you have any further questions or if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney next month!
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

Stayed at the Shangri-La end of Sept 09. Picked the hotel because of other positive reviews and I can only emulate all the positive comments. No negatives about the stay at all. Service was excellent thoughout, food was fantastic, cleanliness and attention to detail second to none. Had an opera house view room which was great - huge bed and fantastic view across Circular Quay and the Opera House. Concierge was extremely helpful and spot-on with taxi fare estimates! Didnt find any problems with access - walked down the steps or the road to get to George Street and / or the Rocks area. Some comments about no LCD TV - well if you're on holiday why sit in and watch TV?! The CRT set was fine for watching before going to sleep!! Swimming pool and fitness centre was good - nice and quiet when we went. Good lockers with PIN code doors so you dont need keys etc. Cannot rate the hotel highly enough. Finished off a great visit to Oz. Dont hesitate in staying here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank titantraveller
Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!
I thank you for your positive comments about our rooms, service, staff and facilities - all of which allow our guests to have a true Shangri-La Experience.
Even though mentioned a television is not important while on holiday (of which I agree) - I am pleased to announce that our new LCD televisions are arriving shortly & will be installed by the end of the year.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime soon!
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

I have stayed at Shangri-La Sydney 3 times for work function and I have loved it each time. It has spectacular views of Sydney Harbour and Opera House, not to mention the 5 star hotel room and service. All staff are friendly, courteous and efficient.
The breakfast each time have been excellent with good selection of food.
I love the Horizon bar with the spectacular view of the sydney harbour
I love the life music on friday and saturday nights at the lobby cafe. In fact this has become my favourite cafe in Sydney and whenever I am in Sydney, I'd like to bring friends to the lobby cafe for a cuppa and listen to the live light music, even though I am not staying here. The price of the cafe is very reasonable.

Love it, Love it Love it.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks to the author for their lovely review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
I very much appreciate your comments about our fantastic food and beverage outlets, as well as our live music on Friday and Saturday nights in the Lobby Lounge, and will certainly pass on your comments to our Director of Food and Beverage.
I was also happy to read your positive comments of our rooms, service and staff - all things we pride ourselves on to give our guests and true Shangri-La Experience.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel - whether it be for a nights stay, a drink in Blu Bar or simply another cup of coffee in our Lobby Lounge.
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a superb 3 week trip to Oz and we stayed at the Shangri-la for our first 3 and last 2 nights and LOVED the hotel.

The rooms are very big and airy with lovely big windows (we treated ourselves to an opera view room and the view made me shed a few emotional tears having longed to see Sydney for as long as I can remember), very very comfortable beds (hard to get up cos they are so comfy!!) and a massive bathroom with seperate (good) shower and bath.

We asked for an early check-in if possible as we were arriving at 6am after 27 hours travelling from Ireland. We had hoped to get a room by 10am but they gave us a temp one on arrival so that we could get some sleep and told us to come back later and they would give us our opera view room - thank you, thank you, thank you! Also we asked for a slightly later check-out of 12.30 and this was no hassle at all.

The only food we had there was breakfast and we were so lucky on our first 3 nights as Cafe Mix (located on 1st floor) was being renovated so breakfast we being served on the 36th floor with STUNNING views of the harbour, opera house, bridge etc. I would say that the staff seemed astonished that someone would turn up for breakfast 20 mins before it was due to finish though (those comfy beds again!!). On our last 2 nights Cafe Mix was up and running with its lovely new decor (but minus the view!!). Selection for breakfast was very good.

The hotel is in the rocks area and about a 5 mins walks from circular quay (and yes the walk back involves a very steep hill which gets the heart rate up! but unless you have walking difficulties dont let it put you off this hotel).

Sydney is a fab city and far exceeded my expectations (which were very high given my longing to see if for the last 20 years or so!!). I would highly recommend the Shangri-La to friends, family and work colleagues.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irish100Ireland
Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review - I was thrilled to read your comments and do thank you for taking the time to review Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
I was happy to hear you found the room and view to your liking and that we were able to accommodate your early arrival with a temporary room. You are more than welcome for the room and late check out - I can assure you it was no problem - our staff are always happy to assist.
Thank you also for your comments about our central location - Shangri-La Hotel Sydney is in a unique spot high on a hill in The Rocks area - however this does allow our guests the most spectacular views of Sydney to be found.
I thank you again for your review and recommendation and do look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future!