“Superb, amazing, relaxing”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We celebrated my wife's birthday with a weekend at the Sahngri la Sydney, in a Horizon Club room on the 32nd floor. This hotel is amazing. The room was excellent and they put in an extra bed for our 5 year old in the entrance foyer which worked wonderfully. On our arrival we were directed to the Horizon Club where a private check in area awaited. The process was simple, professional and very pleasant. If  views and food are your thing, this is the place. We dined at Cafe Mix for breakfast which was fantastic and had dinner at Altitude which was the best meal I have ever had. The staff at Altitude really added to the experience, they were simply superb.  In fact, all the staff were great, nothing was a problem. The views from the room were breathtaking and a lot of time was spent just looking at the ever changing vista. This is a quality hotel with great staff, top location and food and service to please even the hardest marker. Do yourself a favour and pamper yourself!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

Thank you to the author for your review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your break in Sydney and a Happy Birthday to your wife!
The Horizon Club is a poplular choice for those wanting that little extra luxury and the extras such as the evening drinks really make that special occasion.
I will be sure to pass your comments onto the Horizon Club Manager and the Director of Food and Beverage so that the staff in those areas can be commended for their work.
I do hope that you will return to the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney in the near future and thank you once again for your kind review.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed April 18, 2009

I booked a superior harbour view room last October. Sure, we were given one when we arrived but due to availability it was on the lowest floor (5th) which until recently had been a smoking floor and smelt like it. Nevertheless a lovely room with stunning views of the Bridge and the Opera House. We were moved without fuss to the 16th floor on day 2, a room having become available. All rollaway beds were in use so my little girl had to share our king - not a hardship but I had booked a room for 3 six months back. Very little drawer space so many clothes etc had to remain in our cases. Bad experience in Cafe Mix for buffet dinner. Surly receptionist who continued a phone conversation as we arrived then said we would have to wait for a table (for 5) though the place was more than half empty at around 8:30pm. Hardly any food for vegetarians - Head Waiter suggested salad and the indian option. Much of salad bar empty (and vegetarians are not voracious salad eaters!), the indian vegetarian dish was okra which I don't like. Ordered a plain Caesar Salad - which came with pieces of bacon. Just not good enough. The food for the omnivores was OK but nothing special. I cannot think why I left a tip. The much vaunted bar at the top of the hotel has the same stunning views as had our room but is an uninspiring and rather cold experience apart from that, disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SomiLondon
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2009

Thank you to the author for your review, and I apologise that we have fallen short of your expectations on this occasion. Being so long ago that you stayed, I can't recall the situation with extra beds back then. If you had requested an extra bed when the booking was made, I'm very surprised that it was not available.
I am though, happy to hear that you enjoyed the view but am disappointed that you found our drawer space limited. I wish you had of asked us regarding the drawer space as our housekeeping department would have supplied you with a clothes rack.
I will be passing your comments onto our Director of Food and Beverage and Executive Chef also regarding your disappointment with our Cafe Mix. Please rest assured that we take your comments seriously and do all we can to ensure we don't have a repeat of them. If I can kindly ask the reviewer to indulge us on this occasion.

Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stopped over the easter period and yes that hill is a killer but you get amazing views and we found the entire staff extremely helpful and friendly. We had a meal at Altitude which was well worth the money and the waitress was exceptional. The room was huge, the bed was one of the best I've slept in and the bathroom was nearly as big as the bedroom! The only slight issue we had was on Easter Sunday night we had gone to the lounge bar about 10pm, turned out the bars all shut early that night when a group came in who were exceptionally loud and assumed everyone was there just to serve them. The people who were sat closest to them had to leave as you couldn't hear yourself think. Its a shame someone on the reception area hadn't come and asked them to be a little more considerate of those around them. The bar staff were excellent but run off their feet as only one guy making the drinks and one girl delivering them. Overall we loved it and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you to the author for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your Easter break with us. We enjoy the largest guestrooms in the city and our full marble bathrooms with deep soaking tubs are a feature.
My apologies that the bar was rowdy when you visited it. Being a long weekend over Easter, I would say that group were out celebrating it and got a little excited.
I do hope I can welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed April 16, 2009

I just got back from a week long stay at the Shangri-La, Sydney and the experience was simply amazing. Situated right in the heart of Sydney, Shangri - La offers you a breathtaking view of the the city skyline. Overlooking the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, it offers the perfect comfort for business travellers and honeymooners alike. Din't need any city tour since I was staying on the 29th floor. It was like staying on top of a beautiful lighthouse overlooking the majestic city skyline which was a perfect combination of both - the historical look as well as the modern city centre. Spacious rooms and bathroom are a getaway from the matchbox like feeling of being in a big city. I specially loved the large windows in each room, an absolutely perfect place to spend with your morning tea. A spacious lobby, business centers and asthetically well designed resturants offer a perfect place for business meetings or a romantic evening out. With an in-door swimming pool, a well equipped gym and a spa, I dint miss a single day of my morning workouts. Above all, the courteous and hospitable staff went out of their way to make me feel at home. Shangri - La made prefect sense for a well deserved holiday

• Stayed: April 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you to the author for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our near floor to ceiling windows with bench seat are a feature of the hotel and we get many comments on them from our guests. It certainly is a great spot to relax and enjoy the view.
It sounds like you were able to enjoy the many outlets and facilities that the hotel provides and again I am pleased that you enjoyed them.
Once again my thanks to you for your review and I do hope I can welcome you back soon to Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney.

Reviewed April 16, 2009

This hotel is located three blocks from the Rocks area of Sydney. The Rocks is the main tourist areas, with many shops, restaurants, and of course the Opera House. It also within easy walking distance of the CBD, where the large shopping areas are. There are also many small sidewalk restaurants where you can get breakfast or lunch for reasonable prices. When we arrived I asked for a large enough room to accommodate a roll a way bed for my son who was with us for two days. They instead gave us a junior suite (two rooms) for the same price. The room was quite large and had huge windows overlooking the city. These are considered the less desirable rooms because they don't overlook the harbor and the opera house. We were thrilled with the space and the view we got. The bathroom is huge. Internet was free which is much better than other places we stayed in Australia where they charged $9.95 per day. This is a high service hotel where the staff can't do enough for you.
The main complaint I've read about on Trip Advisor is the fact you have to walk three long blocks uphill to return to the hotel from the Rocks. This is true, but after the 1st day, we just took a cab up the hill. It costs $5 AU and was the sensible thing to do after walking all day.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aprilgirl76

Thank you to the author for your review. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our large guestrooms which are the largest in the city.
I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be pleased that you found them extremely helpful.
Thank you once again and I do hope that you will visit us again soon should you return to Sydney.

Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed at the Shangri La for our honeymoon in August 08. It was a great place with an excellent location in Sydney. The restaurant upstairs was expensive but we had a great meal! The place was clean, the staff was very friendly and attentive in meeting our every need. If I were to go back to Sydney I would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2009

Thank you to the author for your review and congratulations on your wedding last year. It sounds as if it was a very long honeymoon indeed for your both - how lucky!
Thank you for your comments about the hotel and I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that I can welcome you back soon on your next visit to Sydney.

Reviewed April 13, 2009

GREAT VIEWS!!! Having stayed at several Shangri La Hotels world wide I must say Sydney Shangri La is rather disappointing. Booking completely messed up, even after calling the four times after an online booking. Had to find someone to park the car, waited 15 minutes to be acknowledged at the front desk on check in and need to wait until late afternoon for a room. Staff rarely smiled or said hello. Never in my life have I seen such a lack of staffing numbers in a hotel. Waited 25 minutes to be seated for breakfast. Very table was either full of people or mess left uncleaned. Similar in the Horizon Club. Hyatt is a far better choice. However the rooms, view, & location at Shangri La Sydney are second to none.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mulvan

Thank you to the author for your review. My apologies for your stay being less than perfect. I am quite concerned to hear that you found the hotel understaffed. We recently conducted a survey of our competitor hotels and found that in many areas we had higher staffing levels.
Please rest assured that I will investigate these areas along with the Director of Food and Beverage so that we can improve the level of service we offer our guests. If I can kindly ask you to indulge us on this occasion.