“Absolutely first class hotel, wonderful location and views”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We (My 11 year old Son and I) stayed in the Shangri-la Hotel for 2 nights during our holiday to Australia and New Zealand. Our room had the most speclacular view of the Opera House and Circular Quay, the room was spacious and luxurious. Everything we needed and more. Circular Quay is a short 5 minute stroll from the hotel which is perfect for sightseeing or catching ferries or the Hop on bus. Likewise to get to Daring Harbour it is around 15 minutes, or the shops around 10. I would without doubt love to stay in the Hotel should I ever be lucky enough to visit Sydney again.

Room Tip: We choose an Opera House View deluxe room and it was fantastic and worth paying that little bit extr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,640)

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed on business for a couple of days and the location of this hotel in the CBD and walking distance from "The Rocks" area was excellent. My room had a view of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. However, by the standards of other Shangri-La hotels I have stayed in I thought this one was a little on the tired side. The shower cubicle was separate from the bath, which is a good thing, but it only had an overhead shower-head - it did not have a handheld one. The desk lamp did not produce enough light over the desk to permit detailed work. In the wardrobe, there was a little hook which was probably meant for hanging either a shoe-horn or a clothes brush, but there was neither. However, given the location and the general commitment to service which you get in a 'Shang', I would still consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Such a lovely
Place to stay! We stayed here after our wedding for 2 nights and were welcomed warmly. We arrived around 1am and were promptly taken to our lovely room! Perfect location and good for an indulge.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wonderful view of the harbor & opera house from the 33rd floor! Spent a lot of time just gazing out the window. We had two rooms for our large family, but were they were not connecting. Both rooms were plush and luxurious, clean, and just perfect for nice restful nights. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well. Big complaint is that we had to pay $58 a day to park, it seemed to us that when you have two rooms for a couple of nights that the parking should be included. This is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful city!

2  Thank lauraBlinkman
JessicaSomers, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear LauraBlinkman,
Thank you for coming to visit us with your family, we are so pleased to hear your feedback. We understand your comment about the parking and may we suggest next time you come to stay, enquire about our Emerald City package which includes complimentary parking. We hope to see you back soon. Thank you

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I booked the Horizon Premier Grand Harbour view room for my partner's birthday and we travelled in from Melbourne.
As already stated, these rooms offer wonderful views so if the view is your thing, this is the room to request. If romance is on the agenda, the night time twinkling of the lights will mesmerize, believe me!!If you like the extra touches of breakfast, afternoon tea, nibbles and drinks, book the Horizon Club 'add on' with this room; for a special occasion, definitely do it!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Shala M,
What a wonderful review to read, we are so glad to hear your feedback. We hope you will come visit us again for next year's birthday. Thank you.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wow, Wow, what an amazing hotel. We had a corner suite with most amazing views over Sydney. Even my 8 year old loved the view. We were there 8 nights and had a fantastic stay. The room was amazing, theres even a view from the bathroom. The Horizon Club was fantastic although service can be a little slow, its a wonderful concept. We even saw Ralph Fiennes at breakfast one day. Perfect location to circular quay and shopping. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a corner suite on a high floor, with the club package. take your camera and enjoy the view.
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a room with 2 beds with opera house view although I couldn't find it online. I was told there are not too many of them, so you have to contact them directly. The room was an ok sizesize, elegant contemporary, and clean. The booth by the window was a nice touch to sit on to admire the opera house/water view.

Location is next to The Rock, historical part of Sydney, close to the Opera House 5-10 scenic walk by the pier with shops/coffee shops along the way. However, the closest way to get to the main street that connects uptown, HBD, and downtown, is downhill and not stroller-friendly, I had to push it on the street because of the steps. Going uphill to go back to the hotel was another challenge for us which was not too big of a deal for me personally, but since we travelled together with my 72 yr old mother, that made it difficult. So there were times when we had a detour to avoid the uphill street.

Didnt get to try to fitness center, but the indoor swimming pool had a nice city view and very quiet.

The concierge was always very nice and helpful. The buffet breakfast was one of the better ones out there and pretty intensive. If you're into egg Benedict or any specialty egg, you need to order from the kitchen (included in the price). Excellent service!

Most of the shops, stores, and malls in Sydney close at 5 pm everyday except on Thursday! Only Asian places (which are in downtown and 20-30 min walk away) close later, and all bars of course up till very late.

We didn't have a good experience with the taxis there in Sydney. In fact, I'm pretty traumatized by it. One time this guy tried to cheat on us doubling the price by not resetting the meter when we got in. We almost paid $40 extra. Another case, most of the taxi drivers (this one particular race) were racist, unfortunately. Seriously???? It took us 8 taxis (who turned us down, locked the door, and lied with excuses rejected the service) on one particular trip to finally realize the problem until the 9th taxi driver with the same race was normal and kind enough to take us and honest enough to tell us the truth when I bluntly asked. Not sure about other race(s), but if you're asian-looking descendant, good luck!

The whole 5 days we were there, there were 2 days when the closest train station that goes uptown and downtown was closed due to renovation. The next closest station was about 15 min walk which was in midtown where the happening was.

Although I liked the hotel, but if I ever go back to Sydney, I'd probably stay somewhere midtown/downtown where is closer to shops that open later so I don't have to fight with the taxi drivers, buy the card in order to ride the bus, or walk around too much after being mistreated by the taxi drivers or being a second-hand smoker especially after 5 when almost everybody is outside.

I would recommend this hotel if you're looking to stay by the water with the opera house view and stay within the area.

Tip: make a special trip to Mamak Restaurant in Chinatown but be prepared for the 45 min wait. You won't regret it, they have THE best roti canai/prata as well as the sweet martabak with banana inside. One of the best I've had.

• Stayed: September 2013