“A hotel to feel confident about...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
San Francisco, California
“A hotel to feel confident about...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I've read the reviews below and I feel like people are nit-picking. I have a pretty selective taste and enjoy finer things in life. That being said, this hotel was a great choice, and I would absolutely stay again.

Location: The views from the rooms are amazing. I am in a regular room with twin beds, so nothing fancy, but I can lay in my bed and see the Opera House. Quiet neighborhood, located in The Rocks area. Sydney is very similar to San Francisco in both look and feel, so there are some steep hills. Close to George Street shops (2 blocks), and walkable distance to Harbour and Opera House, and next to the entrance to the Harbour Bridge.

The lobby: Lots of seating, nice indoor/outdoor café for tea time, happy hour, light snack. Front desk staff moved quickly. Bellhops brought my bags right to my room, attendants flagged taxi's immediately.

The room: Amazing views, large windows with window seat. Seating and area for laying out your suitcase. Spacious dresser, large flat screen tv. Modern, Asian style with clean lines, yet comfy. Nice workspace, mini-fridge and loaded mini-bar. There are a few plugs that are universal adapters, including two at the desk, and one above the night table. There is an ipod docking station alarm clock, but I used wake up call service and had no problems. Full size closet with lots of hangers. They provide you with robes and slippers. Laundry service is also available. The bathroom is large and marble. Huge soaking tub, stand up shower with rain shower head that was amazing. The tv is piped into the bathroom with speakers so you can listen to the news, or a show if you are getting ready in the morning. Nice quality products, and they give you toothbrushes and even hair bands. Nice touch. The bed is the most comfortable hotel bed that I have ever slept on.

Food: Room service is pretty good for quality. It's always hot when it arrives. But very expensive. I wish there were a bit more options on the dinner/night menu. There is only one soup. The service has really been great.

Amenities: I was up at the Sky bar on the top floor for an after work drink, and the views are amazing. Must see. I am having a massage today at the spa, and expect it to be lovely. (It is very pricy.)

All in all, I hope the rest of the hotels on my global business trip are as nice as this one. I read a lot of reviews, and sometimes have anxiety about whether I chose the right one. This hotel is definitely a safe bet. The Aussie locals I spoke to all have high opinions of this hotel as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank keri525

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,721)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I returned to Shangri La for a business trip. The check in was efficient and pleasant. The company put me in a lower level basic room, so I was able to assess the basic product. The rooms are pleasantly furnished with the gold, wood and black Chinese design tones familar to Shangri La customers. The room felt comfortable, but not tired. The bathroom was adequate, the bed comfortable and the lighting quite pleasant. I had a view of the Opera House if a positioned myself in the corner of the room. My view became more expansive from the bed where I could literally see to Canada - the Canadian Embassy next door, that is.
I dined at Cafe Mix and found the food quite tasty and well presented. Blu bar on level 32 has the best views in town but is packed at most times.
The location in the rocks is pleasant but you have to scale many stairs in the street to get to the rocks and the rest of the city. I would come back for business, but there are better locations for non first time tourists.

Room Tip: Check your view to get what you expect, some rooms have restricted views of the harbor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Shangri-La for four nights, and were reluctant to leave. It's a comfortable, homely sort of place - my husband prefers smaller hotels and said that this is one of his favourites. On arrival I realised my coat was still in the taxi, and one of the doormen ran after the taxi and retrieved it for me. Both doormen where very helpful and friendly, as was the efficient lady who checked us in. Our room was wonderful, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was good. The room had an amazing view of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, and I never tired of the panorama. It was nice to sit on the window seat and just take in these iconic landmarks.

The hotel bar area is very pleasant, and we enjoyed the breakfast. Although the restaurant was good, we turned down the Chinese New Year buffet which was 95 dollars, and opted for the a la carte menu. There's a nice atmosphere tin the hotel, and all staff were pleasant and helpful. We left our iPad in our room, and called the hotel from the airport - they offered to bring it to the airport, but because we were about to board, they kept it safely for us to collect on the day our cruise ship called into Sydney.
We very much hope to return to Sydney, and the Shangri-La. We loved it, and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Stayed January 2014
London,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I had one night in an Executive King Room with Opera House City View at the Shangri-la Hotel Sydney and had a lovely experience. The rooms are tastefully decorated with heavenly beds and large bathrooms with separate shower and bath. We had a view of the opera house which is always nice to wake up it. We didn't have breakfast included but did have breakfast there and was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it was. We didn't want the buffet so just ordered a la carte and very much enjoyed it. It was approx. AUD42 for two (coffees each and poached eggs with hash browns and tomatoes plus toast). We had drinks at Blu Bar 36 - great cocktails and views, perfect for watching the sunset. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel (we went to Aria which I highly recommend) but the restaurant looked nice. We had a quick swim in the pool - it is quite small but ok. The gym is a reasonable size and the changing rooms have good facilities. The staff that we encountered were all very helpful, apart from laundry - we had some conflicting information and they weren't able to assist in getting a shirt ironed. Not the end of the world but could do with improving communications with the team. All in all a great stay at a very well located hotel.

Room Tip: Executive King Room with Opera House City View is worth a paying a little extra for
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelling_addict_8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I stated for my birthday and everything was handled incredibly well. The location and views (harbourbridge front view) were perfect to capture the essence of this great city. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed February 2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

For nearly 10 years I travelled extensively in Asia and whenever possible I opted to stay at a Shangri-La hotel. I found them to offer great service and excellent facilities. Having spent most of the last 7 years in Europe and N America I haven't used a Shangri-La for some time. When my wife and I decided to take a weekend break in Sydney the chance to re-acquaint ourselves with a Shangri-La made our choice of hotel a no-brainer - or so we thought. Sadly we found the Sydney hotel to be tired, and frankly, in places to feel a little grubby. The Horizon Club lounge has great views, however the breakfast buffet was not terribly appealing - particularly the pre-cooked and dried out eggs. On recent business trips to Sydney I've used the Sheraton, the Wentworth and the Inter-Continental, and I'd rate them all better than the Shangri-La. Overall not up to the standard of it's international sister hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EilselNodrog
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Simply amazing, I've never stayed at a hotel that ive enjoyed more than this - i feel its worth more than the 5 star rating - rooms are great size, best value for money for room size of a 5 star hotel and has the best view and location of any other hotel in that class.

Room Tip: My room tip - get the opera house city view room - huge size, heaps of facilities and book as long a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com