“Best Hotel in the World? ”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Was looking for a hotel in Sydney the first thing that I noticed was that there seem very little deviation from a travel lodge to this in terms of the cost for 7 nights. All Sydney hotels are expensive and therefore I thought blow it and just go for it. Had room 1908 which overlooked the harbour bridge and opera house the view could literally not be better and the large windows framed it so perfectly the curtains were never drawn. The room itself seemed relatively recently refreshed and more like a suite than just a room on account of its size. The staff were amazing particularly Lo at guest relations that trully went above and beyond. On night (when it was raining) we really couldn't be bothered to leave the room and sampled the room service and that was nothing less than what you expect from a first class restaurant ( oh and did I mention the view?)
If I am able to afford I will deffinately stay her again and indeed other hotels they have round the world. If I had to make a criticism it would be the lifts which seem to operate completely independently of each other resulting in frustrating stops at almost every floor on the way up and on the way down. If you can afford deffinately give it a try ( ohh and cocktails on the 36 floor are quite special too!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here for one night on business to attend a function in the hotel. I have stayed before so the hotel is not new to me. Not a great start on arrival as the was a long queue at check in and while there are three work stations on the check in desk and all three were maned, two out of three found more important things to do than serve customers, so with only one person doing check in there was about a twenty minute wait in the queue before getting my room key, perhaps not a big deal but annoying.

The room itself was great, clean, large enough and a good bathroom. Best was a great view of both the Opera house and harbour. Internet access is complimentary and works well. Breakfast was fine.

All in all this is a very nice hotel in a great location and well worth a vist.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Preliminary details: We only had one day to spend in Sydney following a Crystal Cruise that originated in New Zealand. We booked our room at the Shangri-La well in advance of our trip, and we included a request for (and paid dearly for) an upper-floor room with a view of the Opera House and port. We also informed that the day we were there was our wedding anniversary, and that we'd be arriving early Sunday morning and hoped for an early check-in.

When we arrived at 9:30 AM, it was a bit chaotic at check-in, as they do not have any stanchions or other markers to indicate where a queue (line up) would begin or end; it was simply a whole bunch of people facing the counter, and sort of like a 4-way stop, deciding whose turn was next. That never works well, as those 'less polite' folks always think they're next, and to avoid making a scene, we allowed several people to bum rush us to the counter. That was a bit infuriating to start off with.

When it was our turn, the lovely woman noted right away on her computer screen that a), we wanted early check-in, and b), that we were celebrating a special occasion. She offered us a room on a very low floor that was available at the moment, or offered us a room on a higher floor that was currently being cleaned and would be available 'before noon', which we thought odd that it would take 2.5 hours for them to get to and prepare our room. We had a tour guide scheduled to pick us up at noon, and since they had not yet called us about the room (they took my cell number) at 11:50, we left with our tour guide, leaving our bags in the lobby. I received a text at 12:45 stating that the room was ready, which was still earlier than their normal 3pm check-in; guess I can't complain.

I forgot to mention breakfast at their 'cafe'. It was US $42 each, and was a very unimpressive buffet of bacon, sausage, fruits, breads, juices, and 'how you want them' eggs (in exchange for a wait). Despite the lackluster food, my complaint here is the wait for coffee, which MUST be served by wait staff. We had almost finished eating by the time we got a cup.

The room was fabulous; extremely well appointed, marble floors in the expansive bathroom, huge king bed, wet bar, the works. No expenses were spared in decorating this large, lovely room. They even had a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us; nice touch! My only beef with the room is that it was not far enough east on the 23rd floor to afford a straight on view of the Opera House. If you go, make sure that you specify that you want the furthest east room. Our room was sort of in the indent of the building, we had to move close to the window and look over to the left to see the Opera House. I suspect if you went far enough east on any upper floor, you might see the famous Sydney Harbor Bridge as well. I just figured with the amount of time in advance that I booked, plus our special occasion, and the fact that it was a Sunday night, we might have earned a room with a superior view; trust me, we paid for it.

Finally, all the folks working at the hotel were wonderful, extremely friendly and accommodating. Our US plugs didn't fit in there US prepared plug-ins, and they were quick to provide us an adapter. Stuff like that, small but appreciated steps.

And finally finally, the upper floor restaurant/bar view, I think floor 36, was breathtaking (so was the price for a drink up there, but hey, who's counting?).

Room Tip: Read my review to see about the room to choose. Think high (at least 20), and EAST!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were treated to a special experience at the Shangri-La BLU BAR ON 36. Bottle of Veuve and views forever from the 36th floor overlooking beautiful Sydney. Watch the sun go down and the lights go on instyle.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I have noticed various things they do that I think are pretty ordinary, so I am not staynig there agiain unless they fix them and start to be more customer friendly. For example they charge your credit card as basically a bond in case you leave without settling some charge with them and actually take the money out of your account, even if you are a regular guest. Last visit they charged me a 100% cancellation fee for a night even though I am a regular client, they are one of my firms preferred hotels and I had stayed with them only a few nights earlier and paid nearly $600 for a room.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Stephen G
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Stephen G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is common practice for international hotels to require an additional deposit on top of the accommodation payment to cover any incidental charges incurred during your stay. For guests guaranteeing through credit card, we authorise an additional $100 per night on top of the room rate, which, if unused will be released back to their preferred bank immediately. The processing time for the amount to be reflected back into their account will vary from bank to bank, usually 3-5 business days. Our cancellation policies are stated in the confirmation letters that we send for room bookings, and we highly recommend our guests to inform us of any cancellations before the specified time.

Best regards,

Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a last minute snag in our travel plans and found ourselves with a 24 hour flight delay and back in Sydney again where our trip began. The staff was accommodating and welcoming. Our suite had harbor and bridge views and was lovely. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. Our stay in Sydney 3 weeks before was at another hotel for three times the price and Shangri-La was equal in accommodations and location. Within walking distance to "Fish At The Rocks" for dinner and "Pancakes on the Rocks". Open 24 hours. They both have the best value since Sydney is extremely expensive.
This is why all the cruise ships prefer this hotel. You can't go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor and bridge views with a corner room. Get the breakfast package.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Shangri-La is one of the best places around Darling Harbour.
Everything is very handly with amazing views of the Opera House and Bridge.
Facilities and food are excellent and is only a couple of blocks from train station.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family