Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Hilton Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$145
$137
  • Restaurant
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$182
$139
Radisson Blu
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$145
Hotels.com
$244
$159
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$193
$128
  • Pool
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$144
$126
$180
6,965 results
All reviewshorizon clubblu baropera housegrand harbourcircular quaywindow seattop floorrocks arearoom servicecorner suiteharbour viewturn down serviceclub roombottle of champagnefour seasonsbuffet breakfastfive star hotel
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Stayed in the Shangri-La for four nights as part of our honeymoon in July. We arrived before 9am and were delighted to have been checked in early. The receptionist who checked us in was in training. She was excellent, extremely polite, efficient and welcomed us to the hotel, congratulating us on our marriage. It was a great start.

As part of our booking with Trailfinders, we were given an upgrade to an opera view room. While we were grateful for the gesture, we could not really see the opera house unless we strained our necks out the window. The room was freezing. We turned the air-con off ourselves but for whatever reason, the room still felt cold for the duration, not that we would let that have any major impact on what we thought of the hotel. The decor was rich yet not over-stated. There was a great feeling of relaxation throughout the hotel.

Cafe Mix, where we had buffet breakfast was ok. I couldn't help but think that it was trying to be something it wasn't, and failing miserably. The music was completely wrong and not fitting of a 5-star hotel's restaurant. You could see what the hotel was trying to achieve but something was missing. Clearly, this isn't a major factor in deciding where to stay but something that did stand out for me. The food was fantastic and in general the service was fine. We had wanted to eat in Altitude and the only night we could was a Sunday, when Altitude is closed. I could not understand this, when the hotel looked relatively busy. Go figure.

Staff in general throughout the hotel were ok. While concierge, in particular was brilliant, I would question the staff of Blu bar on the top floor of the hotel. Again, something was missing here, like it was overly-pretentious and every patron was to feel grateful for being allowed to even enter the side bar, let alone the bar that faced onto the harbour bridge. This feeling I got from the bar staff in particular.

While in general the hotel was fine, and we didn't have any major complaints, I'm not entirely sure this hotel is world-class 5 star. I would certainly like to experience some of Sydney's other alleged finest before returning.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grognads
RugbyRob, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2008

We were delighted to learn that the author had a terrific experience at Shangri-La and in Sydney.

Thank you so much for recognising the efforts of the Front Desk in co-ordinating your early arrival check-in and the upgrade to the Opera House category accommodation. A reciprocated smile can go a long way!

Noted your comments about Altitude Restaurant on a Sunday. It’s the quietest day of the week and like many tough decision it simply comes down to labour costs and economics. Most of the leading restaurants in Sydney are closed on a Sunday.

Reviewed August 6, 2008

What a fabulous stay, we were upgraded on arrival to a full harbour view room, wow...what a view of the Quay and the bridge.

We were treated to complimentary coffee and snacks on arrival as the room was not made up for an hour or so. This was lovely.

Wonderful position to walk to the city centre, about a 20 minute stroll away.

We met friends in the evening and had cocktails in the lounge there, very good service and a lovely atmosphere.

Fantastic breakfast buffett, we were full all day, such an array of choice for first thing in the morning!

Very clean rooms, lovely staff, highly recommended.

Have a cocktail in the bar at the top of this hotel...absolutely heavenly!!

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eldorado500

Thank you to the author for their lovely words and for acknowledging the upgrade co-ordinated by the Front Desk and thank you for indulging us the wait while your room became available.

Blu Horizon Bar ‘heavenly’ – nice words, we agree!

Reviewed August 3, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Shangri La Hotel for 3 nights. We stayed in one of the Horizon Suites.
Upon Arrival we were greeted with warmth and we felt as if we were royalty.
We were whisked up to the 30th floor for check in, where we were greeted by three of the most wonderful people we have ever met.
Sabina, Jerry and Katie, they made us feel so special from the second we arrived, till the moment we left.
Our room had a view of the Sydney opera house. The room had twin beds that were big enough for my two children and my husband and I to sleep comfortably.
Jerry delivered refreshments to our room and gave us helpful hints on how to get around.
We would be out all day, and once we entered our room, there would always be a bucket of ice with cold drinks waiting for us and hot chocolate for the kids.
Breakfast in the Horizon lounge didn't have a large variety hot food, but if it's hot food you want, I suggest you go to the 2nd floor at Cafe Mix. The swimming pool is a little on the cold so if the cold doesn't bother you, its worth taking a swim.

We sadly left the Shangri La on Saturday 2nd August, we felt we left family behind. My children, my husband and I became attached to the three people who made our holiday unforgettable. Thank you to the three of you, for your kindness and service. Keep up the good work.

To Katie, Yianni still promises to be good.
To Sabina, Agathi still practicing to sing like you, and I think that you are just as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside.
To Jerry, you have the most infectious personality, keep being you, because you are a very special person. You were born to do what you do. You make people smile all day everyday.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Geenz

Thank you for the outstanding review and also for recognising the efforts of our Horizon Club Floors team. Sabina, our Horizon Club Floors Manager, Jerry our Hotel Butler and Katie our Club Floor valet will all be nominated to the August ‘Customer Delight’ team which comes with both reward and recognition. Thank you on their behalf!

Thank you again.

Reviewed August 3, 2008

I had booked the celebrations package in a premier grand Harbour suite about 2 weeks in advanced on Wotif.com, a week later I rang the hotel and I asked for an upgrade to one of the Horizon Level suites and the man at the reservations desk said theres a suite available for us and he booked us in. When we got to the hotel front desk the lady told us that we didnt get the room that I have asked for because there were no bookings made, I was trying not to be upset but I was more shocked then upset because I told the lady numerous times I had booked for the Horizon suite but she said there were no such bookings made. We did end up getting a room which was ok, not as great as other Hotels though. There were no champagne in the room, we had to wait an hr for it to arrive. We thought our rooms had a dvd player which it didnt but other hotels had everything included, I rang to ask for a dvd player but the concierge said that they dont give out dvd players to the normal rooms just the horizon levels (which I was meant to be in!) The only thing I liked was Cafe Mix, their buffet dinner and breakfast were great. I wouldnt reccomend anyone staying there unless they keep ringing the hotel to keep checking wether their bookings are still there, I shouldve done that as well but since their a hotel they shouldve known better! The views were alright but I'd rather see it from another Hotel like the four seasons next door.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tinkerbell_T
RugbyRob, Resident Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2008

Thank you to the author for posting this review on tripadvisor. We do regret that there must have been some confusion between guest and reservations as we would never confirm an upgrade request until the day of arrival – primarily for this exact reason that the higher category may have been sold to another guest with the net result being disappointment.

An upgrade is a benefit that we delight in extending to our guests. As readers will note in many other reviews we do have a high percentage of upgrades and are delighted when our guests recognise the efforts that go into meeting such requests. Unfortunately not every upgrade request can be met.

Champagne delivery is co-ordinated by our room service team and usually delivered on arrival and at the guest’s convenience so that it is always cold and glasses chilled. Rarely is champagne left in the room awaiting arrivals where we have no designated arrival time – the ice in the buckets melt.

Resident Manager

Reviewed July 29, 2008

I have read most of the recent reviews and quite honestly did not have any negative experiences at this hotel. One must remember that it is excellent accommodation value for money so if you compare it for service with the best hotels in Sydney then it may come up a bit short but it is excellent all the same.

Regarding the poor people who were bothered by Housekeeping, we just put the Privacy light on and had no problems.

We will return as long as it remains value for money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple