“Good hotel in Sydney”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good hotel in Sydney. Though central to the city not the best location for sightseeing. Staff freindly and accomodating? Rooms were quite large. Bathrooms were very large with very good amenities? Did not use any other services but would expect quality consistent with the Shangrila franchise

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (6,789)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here on business. The hotel is a good option for Sydney. The location is good; stepping off the plane after a long flight it is nice to walk to the harbor and the opera house. The CBD is within easy walking distance. Staff are friendly and efficient. The top floor bar is well worth the visit.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Anyone comparing Sydney's five star hotels, read on. I spent a lot of time researching which of Sydney's luxury hotels offers the best value for money and as a Sydneysider, I was able to check out rooms prior to my recent visit - so I hope my advice helps!
By far, the best luxury hotel in Sydney is the Park Hyatt but at $850 per night plus, its just too expensive for most of us. The view is great, but not that great! And to be honest, the staff are a little too attentive. It is very modern and the most luxurious in town, so if you want bragging rights, stay there.
I compared the Four Seasons, the InterContinental, the Hilton, Quay West and the Stanford and chose an Eastern Harbour View room at the Shangria La. It was excellent value for money. We had floor to ceiling windows with a magnificent view of the Harbour (to the Heads : ie out to sea!) with the Opera House. There was a window seat upon which I sat with my glass of wine and watched the world go by on the Harbour. Lovely! The room was on the 22nd floor. The air conditioning was silent (very important to me!). Our rate included a very good buffet breakfast for two (some tables by the window with views), and wi fi in the rooms which most Sydney hotels charge extra for. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom very large and luxurious, and little touches such as free water with turn down were nice. Best of all is the Blue Bar - this is one of Sydney's best bars because it is on about the 30th floor with amazing views of the city. At other comparable hotels the bar does not offer these views of the Harbour, or, as with the InterCon, you need to pay for a much more expensive room type to get access to the Executive Club.
When I compared prices, ShangriLa Sydney was considerably cheaper that the other hotels I mentioned which are in the same area, near the Harbour. It offers excellent value for money. I couldn't fault the service, quality of food or the location.

Room Tip: Pay for a room on a higher level, above the 20th floor. No need to get the most expensive room type...
Reviewed September 28, 2013

It all started with the booking process really. No CC details are taken when I booked, I then received 2 emails the day before offering a pre check-in. I opted not to proceed with this as I was not certain what time we would be checking in. At 2.30 on our day of arrival I received a phone call insisting CC details be given immediately or our room would be given away if we had not arrived by 4pm! Lucky we weren't in the air from interstate or OS! I'm not sure why they do not take CC details when you 1st book like almost every other hotel I've ever stayed at does!

At check-in our CC details were again required + they informed us they would be taking $100 from it as security. Up to our room only to discover our room cards had not been activated. Back down to front desk to join the queue of other guests also experiencing this!

Finally into our room only to be meet with an overpowering stench of cigarette smoke! Phone call downstairs requesting change of room to a non-smoking room. For the next 40 mins there were various phone calls from front desk. 1st call - "sorry you didn't request no smoking" - "yes I did & I have the booking print out with me to prove it!" Next call - sorry no other rooms available we will come & deodorise your room" - "no that will not be suitable, we need to be moved to a non smoking room". Finally a room was found on a lower (non club) floor, although we were still able to use the club facilities. Staff were apologetic but the only thing offered to make up was a late check out which we weren't able to make full use of.

The Horizon Club was excellent & the complimentary drinks softened our moods considerably before heading out to dinner at nearby Ananas (see separate review).

The bed & pillows were very comfortable so we did enjoy a good night's sleep.

Next morning heading to breakfast we discovered our room card was yet again not working!

This hotel could do many things to improve it's customer service. Next time I need to stay in the Rocks area it will be at another hotel!

6  Thank Mia K
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Mia K,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We are sorry to hear your disappointment with the services you received during your stay. With regards to the reservations process, this is a new system which we are constantly tweaking to improve the customer experience, and your comment about the credit card guarantee is appreciated and duly noted. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations when you visit us again. For future stays, you may contact me directly via arpad.romandy@shangri-la.com.

Best regards,

Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel was AMAZING! We stayed in an executive grand harbour view suite that gave us the best views of both the harbour bridge and opera house. Just make sure that you ask to be put on a higher level. We were initially put on level 7 were the views were terrible - you were on level with the highway and that was all you could see. However, the staff were more than helpful and rectified the problem immediately.

The room was very spacious and the bathroom was probably one of the best I've seen - well equipped with top notch amenities and again, very spacious - about the same size of the bedroom itself, if not bigger. The bath tub is at level with the window which gave a panoramic view of the city.

Bed was very comfortable - felt like I was sleeping on a cloud.

Room service was of very high quality - the food was on par with what you would get at a restaurant.

Overall a very memorable and enjoyable stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level for the best views
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Shangri-La and enjoyed all aspects of the stay. The views from the room were as described when booked and were spectacular. The room was tastefully furnished and very comfortable with the bed being incredibly so. All of the linen was of a very high standard. Staff were faultless in the consistency and quality of their service, ensuring that we have come away with wonderful memories and the intention to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed for our 10th annivesary and will remember sensational staff, wonderful room / location and facilities. A truly delightful experience at every level. Again, amazing staff made our stay memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com