Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
6,897 results
All reviewshorizon clubblu baropera housegrand harbourcircular quaywindow seattop floorrocks arearoom servicecorner suiteharbour viewturn down serviceclub roombottle of champagnefour seasonsbuffet breakfastfive star hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked two rooms for two separate reservations. When I cancelled the entire visit, many months ago, i expressly asked if both reservations were cancelled, because they both had the same confirmation number (which i thought was odd). The lady, with a heavy accent, said absolutely, not to worry, they were both cancelled.

I have been in the travel business, and understand room occupancy numbers and the importance of canceling and checking reservations. I am a very frequent traveler. In fact, my Sydney office does a lot of business with this hotel.

I assumed that everything was appropriately handled, since I NEVER GOT any notice of an upcoming reservation or a "welcome to our hotel next week" email like all of the other top tier hotels provide.

When the charge for both rooms showed up on my credit card, i couldn't believe it. However, for a brand such as Shangri-La, which purports to be high class and ultra customer service oriented, i assumed a call or email would take care of the problem.

Wrong. Their Sydney management was absolutely rigid: no possibility that they ever made a mistake. No chance that they care about customer satisfactions, especially when my firm does corporate business there. No refund. Nothing other than "no." Are they so desperate for money that they can't issue a refund when the mistake was theirs? Do they care at all about customer good will? Apparently not.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank particular55
ArpadRomandy, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear particular55,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and your continued patience whilst we discussed this over email. We have investigated thoroughly and confirmed our protocol was accurate. We apologise for the inconvenience and are pleased this has now been resolved.

Best regards,

Franz Donhauser

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is my 6 or 7th stay at this property. Initial impression was lacking, as the bellhop was content doing anything but his job. He was not busy, my car door and entrance to the hotel was not opened, bags were not collected, and I was not even greeted. I had the same experience at check-out. No fair well, opening my door or handling my luggage. I actually had to walk over to the taxi queue to hire a cab. Every other time I've stayed here, my experience has been markedly better.

I was here on business for 2 nights, and had made my reservation through AmEx Plat FH&R. The associate at the front desk was attentive and upgraded me to an Exec Opera room. Through no fault of her own, I don't understand why SL, Sydney almost never honours the FH&R promise for private in-room or -lounge check-in. Also, a fruit plate and/or drink is supposed to be included. A $100 food/bev credit, also customarily included, was not applied to my bill. That was addressed after departure.

The rooms are clean. The views are priceless, and the staff are generally exemplary. This stay, however, was not memorable and I can see why the SL has fallen in rank on TA.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Trekkingtheglobe_10,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are dismayed that we were not able to delight you during your stay, especially with your arrival and departure experience. We are currently investigating the concerns you encountered, but rest assured, this is not indicative of the level of service that we provide to our guests, especially to our AMEX FHR members. We hope you will grace us with another opportunity to exceed your expectations. For future stays, please email me directly at arpad.romandy@shangri-la.com.

Best regards,

Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to Sydney and loved it. If you're looking for a great hotel with amazing iconic Sydney views, stay here!

Pros:
- large rooms
- excellent service from everyone
- amazing views
- comfortable beds

Cons:
- little bit of a walk to get to train stations (maybe 5 blocks)
- no ice machines for guests and room service took about 25 minutes to deliver ice

Loved this hotel and would absolutely stay there again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Great location in The rocks, great views from the hotel and evry good service - although front of house could do with a little customer service training. The rooms were stunning, very clean and all the mod cons you could ask for. The hotel bar (36 floor) was very good with stunning views. Able to walk from Hotel to Sydney Opera house / bridge etc in 15 - 20 mins and some very good local bars and resturants near by. Would recommend to anyone staying in Sydney

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last year. The location to the hotel is not very convienent especially when you are walking around. However the rooms are nice and you can get a great view of Sydney Opera House. B'fast is expensive and not worth the charges. The Hotel lobby is not so big which is not expected of a 5 star property. When I stayed there the hotel was getting renovated and therefore had fresh smell of paint all around which was a bit of uncomfort.
There are other similar star properties which are possibly having more convient access to the MRT and restaurants that you could choose.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business