“Why can't all hotels be like this one?”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #31 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Highland Park, Illinois
“Why can't all hotels be like this one?”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Why can't all hotels be like this one? At the Shangri-La everything was perfect and handled just the way it should.

We had been staying at another Sydney hotel (not as perfect) and moved over to the Shangri-La, so we had to be out of our other room by 11:00 am but check in wasn't until 3:00 pm, so although the room wasn't ready they held our luggage and gave us some nice lunch tips.

But, while check in and check out were a breeze the highlight (as should be) was the room! First the view was amazing!!!!! (Worth every penny for the harbor view) Took our breath away. The rooms were large and spacious and had all the amenities, even a ponytail elastic to tie your hair back in case you forgot your own. Best of all internet was free, easy to access and worked fast!

Breakfast was great too! Large buffet with just about anything you could want, with the possible exception of cream cheese (evidently not an Aussie thing) Eggs, quiche, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, mini spring rolls, breads, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, cereal , juices and smoked fishes.

We will return for one more night before we leave Australia and I am really happy it will be at the Shangri-La!

Room Tip: Harbor View rooms worth every penny!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,794)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
christchurch new zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had three nights at the Shangri-La in Sydney recently. We found it a great place to stay. Friendly reception staff greeted us. Our room was large and very comfortable, The view of the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge must compete with the best views in Sydney. The food we ate there was of a very high standard as was the coffee in the lobby cafe. Worth a special mention was Daniel who worked in the lobby cafe. He was most attentive and helpful and friendly. The hotel is well positioned for an easy walk to the CBD and also a stones throw from the touristy Rocks area. Handy too, for the ferries to the bays around the harbour and other sightseeing trips. All in all a most enjoyable stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Shangri-La for two nights at the end of a week long stay in Sydney. It was the perfect way to end our trip. My partner had never visited Sydney before, so we splurged a little and stayed in a Premier Grand Harbour View Harbour View room, with views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. It was a gorgeous sight to wake up to in the mornings. The room was beautifully decorated, with lots of space. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds we had ever slept in! I think we need to invest in the pillow top they have!
We really enjoyed the buffet breakfast, it was all delicious, with so much to choose from. We never had to wait for a table even though each morning was very busy.
One night we ventured up to the Blu Bar on 36, for a (seriously overpriced) cocktail, and to see the views at night. Was a bit disappointing as there was a function on in the main room,so no views for us... just squashed in a small loud space with nowhere to sit. Oh well, the drinks we nice, it's clearly a popular place to start or end your night.
During our stay the staff were all very polite and friendly. Our rooms were always spotless.
The only tiny negative was the location. It is in a great place at the Rocks, near Circular Quay, but the hill to walk up to the hotel from Essex st (I think?) was very steep! So just remember that ladies, not a good idea if you're wearing heels!! It is a little bit far from the CBD, and we did end up catching a lot of taxis, but you could walk if you had the time.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Shangr-La, and will most definitely be back one day!

Room Tip: The Premier Grand Harbour View Harbour View room is worth the splurge! Big rooms with amazing views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

What a way to celebrate any special event. Having just spent the evening in the city stayed overnight at this excellent hotel.our room on the 26th floor provided a fantastic view over Circular Quay. Not sure how my husband can top this next birthday!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This is my 5th time at the Shangri-La Sydney since 1996. The position, amenities and service always impresses. Not to mention the views and comfy beds. An example of why this hotel is among the finest: I pushed the "do not disturb button" in error on my way out the door in the morning. I had called to have my laundry collected at the same time. I returned after my work day to find the bag of un-washed clothes and an unclean room along with a kind note that my privacy request had prevented room cleaning. I called the service desk after 5pm and requested help as I needed the clean clothes for the next stop on my journey. With the most professional kindness I was transferred to housekeeping and perfectly clean pressed clothing was presented later the same night without even an up charge. This level of service is rarely found. Bravo Shangri-la!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JoeyQuest
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night as a treat to myself for being an awesome mother and wife. It was just what I needed. The staff, from the porter and receptionist at check-in, to the receptionist and porter at check out were friendly and professional. A beautiful view over the bridge and opera house from the 23rd floor, a spacious room, with a window seat that was perfect for sipping tea while zoning out at the view. The bed was comfortable, the bath perfect for a soak, the soaps and lotions of the best quality. Breakfast was delicious, with something to please everyone.

Overall, it was a luxurious, pleasant and well received gift to myself. I may even bring my husband next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank EyeCee
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Took my partner for a birthday weekend treat. I booked us into a deluxe darling harbour view room. The room was a little less than had been described, but we were on the 25th floor, so the view was excellent. (Beware of the very large construction site at Barrangaroo) with hindsight, I would go for the opera house side of the hotel.
The staff were very pleasant and the room service, although very expensive ($125 for a burger and a salad) was good eating. The disappointing bit came when it was time to go for breakfast. Clearly there weren't enough restaurant staff on duty. The situation was badly managed. They had people queueing in front of the elevators, which made it very difficult for people who were leaving the restaurant to get into the lifts and also the people coming the breakfast and joining the line. unfortunately, the volume of people joining the line was greater than those leaving, so the situation became very crammed very quickly. We waited 25 minutes to be seated and when walking through the restaurant, I counted 5 tables that were empty, but had not been cleared for the next set of guests. There may easily have been more on the other side of the restaurant. All in all a stressful start to a restful day.
In fairness, the staff member I spoke to when we checked out was very helpful and removed the breakfast charge from the bill. I also got an email from the manager apologising for the situation and what was most appreciated, from my point of view, was that he just acknowledged they had messed up and didn't try to invent justifications for it.
We would go there again, but this time we would be armed with the lessons learned on our previous visit.

Room Tip: Go for the opera house side of the hotel. Big construction site on the other Darling Harbour side
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple