“My first visit”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Attending a conference and staying at the same hotel is convenient, but sometimes fraught with concerns. Not so here! The professionalism of the staff at all levels was outstanding, and I look forward to my next visit. Comfortable rooms, quiet surroundings, immaculately clean. Efficient check-in and check-out, driveway staff most polite and accomodating. I would imagine that this hotel is a favourite of the conference set. The conference events were accompanied by superb food selections, the conference dinner wonderful. Well done Shangri-La

Room Tip: Seek a higher floor, away from the lifts
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank geraldq

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights, we landed from Perth at 1pm and was told that room wasnt ready. We left our luggage and went for a walk and was told that they would ring as soon as it was ready. We returned 2 hours later, no phone call :( our room was 3019 and on the 30th floor. Great views of Opera House and Circular Quay. A note in our room said that we were a Horizon Club guest. So that evening we went there for the complementary drinks and canapes. We were then told that we were not eligible as we had an upgrade to this room (which no one told us about ). We left very embarrassed. Fortunately, the next day we were phoned to say that we had use of the Horizon Club until we left. Was very happy about that as it was awesome :)The Spa is fabulous too !!!

Room Tip: spend the extra and get a Horizon Club room :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I come to Australia often and I know most of the "big names" in Sydney and Melbourne at this point.
I love Shangri-la for Holidays, but for business....I think these people forget what client services in a hotel mean.
The real estate prices in Australia have gone up intensely since 2009, and that means that sometimes I had to pay close to 500 AUD for a night. On Shangri-la I was paying around 350.
So, what tends to happen in Sydney/Melbourne happened again. I took an overnight flight and arrived at Shangri-la around 8am. I stepped up to the overly crowded check-in desk, a very inexperienced young lady attended me, and after a few clicks here and there, she tells me that since the check in starts at 2pm, my room is still not available. Look, I know the rules. But paying 350 AUD per night, being a gold member of their loyalty program, I expected them to know that my TOP priority was to get a room. By the way, she did give me the option to get a toom on the spot, if I payed extra, which was quite ridiculous.
So, I had to wait until 11:30, when I decided to go talk to a more senior member of staff, who promptly upgraded me to an available room, solved the problem.
In all fairness, the hotel facilities are good, location is good, but hotel staff is really subpar and the price is laughable.
Seriously, when I stay at budget hotels, like Mercure, i never get this kind of attitude...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eduardo b
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for Mother's day. Service is very average. Housekeeping "apparently" didn't find my iPhone charger. The last thing I did before checking out was pull my phone out if the charger which was plugged near the bedside table socket. What annoys me the most is their excuses for NOT calling me back! I had to follow up and the receptionist who answered didn't want to help at all!

The restaurant food was good, service was good too.

Bed was comfortable, pillows were uncomfortable.

Valet parking attendants were nice and helpful.

Overall, poor experience due to housekeeping and front desk! I will not pay $500 a night again for the crap service we got!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank prescymae
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed in a Horizon Club room on a Saturday night.

The staff were friendly and attentive. The room was great and the Horizon Lounge offered great views. The level of service by the Horizon Lounge staff was exceptional.

Overall, an excellent stay.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stay regularly at this hotel and am a Golden Circle member. The 13-number rooms (e.g. 1213, 1513) offer exceptional space and full Sydney Harbour views (from the Heads, to the Opera House, over to the Sydney Harbour Bridge). When I was there on a business trip in April 2013, I had ordered an in-room breakfast for 6.00-6.15am. I had a car picking me up at 7.00am. So I decided that I would have a slow breakfast, then a shower and then check out. 6.15 arrives - no breakfast. I ring in-room dining and am told "it's on its way now". 6:25 arrives - still no breakfast (and still now shower as I don't know when the food will arrive). I ring in-room dining to be told "it's on its way". Food arrives at 6.35. It's cold. I have to bolt some of it down, then have a shower and was late leaving the hotel for my appointments. I think there are insufficient staff to service their morning breakfast round. I decided not to go back for my next trip to Sydney in May but went to the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Choose the 13-numbered rooms (e.g. 1213, 1513, 2013). Ask for a high floor. They're not cheap...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our room was large, but a bit "tired". Everything was clean and in working order. The bed was very comfortable and the view from our room, 1918, on the 19th floor was superb - looking out over Circular Quay and the Opera House.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, and the breakfast, albeit expensive, is worth paying for. The food choice is enormous and the quality is very good. Fill your boots and skip lunch!
Overall we were very pleasantly surprised by the Shangri La, Sydney. Happy to go back anytime.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business