“Totally 5 star in Sydney”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Live close to Sydney and our work hotel is another brand so haven't stayed at the Shangri-la before. As it was a special occasion we went for the horizon club rooms and weren't disappointed. Have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and this one was the best experience to date.

From private check-in, to all the little extra touches (e.g. a birthday cake delivered to our room shortly after check-in, real coffee at breakfast, afternoon tea in the lounge). Breakfast is amazing. Views from the rooms, the club lounge and the bar are spectacular.

It is a 5 star price, but in this case definitely worth it.

I should say more, it really deserves the best review ... but, better still, if it is in your budget, try it out for yourself :)

Room Tip: For me, nothing beats the view from the opera house out to the heads.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had one night in a deluxe room on level 23. The views of the opera house and harbour bridge were awesome. Loved seeing the cruise lines dock and leave. Room was clean and well stocked with plenty of towels robes slippers etc. very comfy king bed. We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did have a quick trip up to blu bar on level 36 ( I think ). Great views, very crowded being a Saturday night. We will definitely be coming back to shangri la.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel Sydney for 7 nights at the end of March with my 2 children and we found everything there to be fabulous. The hotel prearranged for our airport transfers and the driver was waiting for us outside of baggage claim holding an iPad with the Shangri-La logo on the screen. Check-in was a breeze and our Grand Harbour View Room was upgraded to a high level room with gorgeous views of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Housekeeping had a roll-away bed already set up in the room, so all we had to do was brush our teeth and fall asleep in the very comfortable beds. (Down pillows and feather mattress pad, so if you have allergies, you should request these be swapped out before arrival!) We enjoyed the very diverse breakfast buffet each morning and found that the hotel staff went out of their way to treat the children with extra special care. Housekeeping performs twice daily services, a morning cleaning and an evening turn-down.

The internet is complimentary, but it is an open connection and could be painfully slow at times. It was fine for planning the following day's activities and mapping out dining options, but don't expect to stream any videos or upload photos to Facebook. Again, the service is free so I'm not knocking down my rating of the hotel. Compared to the next door Four Seasons' ridiculously expensive daily internet access rate, this wasn't a big issue.

The hotel location in The Rocks is very centrally located. The stairs leading down to George Street and Circular Quay ferries, and the Opera House are around the corner. The George Street bus stop to shopping, chinatown, and Darling Harbour is just down the hill and the buses go by around every 5 minutes. The Harbour Bridge stairs are just beyond the hotel...look at the foundations of the buildings around the hotel and you'll see the historical foundations of the original settlement buildings. Really cool how they have preserved these.

Our first experience at a Shangri-La property was wonderful. We are looking forward to future stays at Shangri-La properties and back here at Sydney again.

Room Tip: Upgrade cost is worth the gorgeous view of the harbour!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sashak808
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed overnight on a business trip and check-in was easy with the staff very polite and efficient.

The room I stayed in was large with a marble style bathroom and really soft comfortable bed which is great after a long flight.

The TV was a large flat screen with all channels and excellent reception and you get your standard tea, coffee, toiletries etc all left complimentary.

The only negative with the room was that the bathroom vanity plug would not pop up and I was left with water in the basin that I could not get rid of. It was also a bit strange that in between 6pm when I checked in and 10pm when I came back from dinner, my room had been serviced ?.

We had a drink in the Altitude Bar up on the top floor and the view of Sydney is stunning and well worth the price of a drink which was typical Sydney prices - don't expect a cheap drink.

Breakfast in the restaurant is standard and not cheap - cooked breakfast, fruit, cheeses, asian etc all offered.

Would I stay again...yes as it is a comfortable and quiet hotel and very central to Sydney CBD. Taxis are always available and daily newspapers are always there to read.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall a great stay. Huge rooms. Walk through a "sitting room/lounge room" into hallway with huge and beautiful marble bathroom (shower is to die for) into a well sized bedroom with an extremely comfy bed.
Check in was a little disappointing - the room we booked was over booked so we had the option of a darling harbour view room or a better room than we booked but with two single beds. We chose the darling harbour view room which had a view of the road. very disappointing. we were given two free buffet breakfasts as an apology. buffet breakfast was amazing.
mini bar very expensive - $6 for a can of softdrink!
overall a great stay we will definitely return we will just check in earlier next time so we dont miss out on the room we prebooked.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here after our wedding and it was the best idea ever! We live only 8kms from the CBD but that didn't stop us from having a holiday in our own city. We got to the hotel at midnight all dressed up in wedding dress. Checked into room to find some special extras (Champagne & Chocolate) wishing us all the best. The next morning waking up to the specular view that is Sydney Harbour, enjoy a Buffett breakfast and then meet friends for lunch at the rocks was so easy. The next day we had breakfast, enjoyed the spa and a late checkout
Thinking of having our 1 yr anniversary here - best way to have a honeymoon without breaking the bank with international flights

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our first stay here and we stayed for 6 nights. We had been wanting to stay here for ages.

We booked a Deluxe Grand Harbour View room and the view did not disappoint. I could look at that view all day and having the window bench is a great place to sit and enjoy it.

The room was a good size and the decor was nice. The bed was very comfortable and the linen was of a very good quality. The bathroom was very clean with separate bath and shower. The bathroom amenities were OK, a generic shower gel and shampoo is not what I call 5 star.

There were a few minor problems with our room, The toilet seat was not properly fastened so a little tricky sitting down. The small table between the window bench was not secured to the wall so when we used it the whole thing collapsed. The seat cushion was horribly stained as was one of the bedside lamps. I ordered a drink in the down stairs bar and after I gave the barman my order, I waited and waited and when I asked why I hadn't got my drink I was told the barman had gone on his dinner break. Hmmmm!

When we mentioned the problems with our room to Kerrin the Duty Manager these were all fixed in a very prompt manner. Kerrin, during our stay was absolutely fantastic her customer service was exemplary.

As it was my partners birthday during our stay a small chocolate birthday cake was in our room over 3 nights and a bottle of champagne was also put in our room one night, it was such a lovely thought. The turn down service each night is a nice touch also.

The hotel is in a great location with The Rocks area just a short walk away as is Circular Quay.

All in all it was a comfortable stay but 'It's all about the view'.

Room Tip: Deluxe Grand Harbour View Room.